Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe he won't. [Frown] Read the Facade issue (Detective #821) - the story was okay, but didn't knock me out. It seemed a bit simplistic and I really didn't like the idea that Gotham "society' were the better class of people. I know the character Facade condemned them as just wearing facades themselves, but the message from the Batman seemed to be don't mess with my tribe of gentlemen.

Interesting JH Williams art.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Morrison's Batman has arrived, and it is KICK-ASS so far. I'm really liking it, especially Bruce's interaction with Robin & Alfred. Great way to begin, by showing the Joker the exit (a great Batman run with no Joker for awhile? Yay!), and Bruce not actually shooting him, but allowing that myth to circulate. Funny Jim Gordon scene.

I love Morrison's take on less popular characters, but he really feels like he's born to write Superman & Batman too.

Dini's latest Detective was a ton of fun too. Great Riddler story, good 'detective' aspect to it, and an excellent done in one story that reminds me of the animated series.

These two titles OYL (as well as Robin and Catwoman) are very appealing.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
but the message from the Batman seemed to be don't mess with my tribe of gentlemen.

You know... I've actually always thought that Batman should have an underlying current like this. Kind of an element of protecting that idealized "upperworld" of Gotham society from the evil "underworld" which threatens to disrupt it, as it did his life. I would think, given his origin, that he might initially conceive of his motivation in something like these terms. Of course, as time goes by, he'd realize that things weren't as simple as all this, but a bit of this way of thinking might remain.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
That would make sense as his motivation, and there's no reason he couldn't remain a bit of a snob and still fight for justice. He could even go after white collar criminals because they are giving his class a bad name.

The new Batwoman is a society girl as well; it's interesting that all the buzz has focussed on her being a lesbian, not that she's another rich person playing superhero in Gotham.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Hm, just read the Paul Dini Facade story (I read the Riddler one first, out of order). I notice that there's actually some dark humor underplayed here too, just like in Morrison's Batman. I love it!

"No crime in progress here, unless you count what the artist is charging for his works." Batman: art critic, and a harsh one to boot!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i've never really been a big BATMAN fan [ the only recent issues that i bought was the 'HUSH' LOEB/LEE issues ]

but after reading these posts and listening to GRANT and PAUL talk about the books on the latest DC COMICS/PODCAST, i'm thinking of giving them a go ??

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So, question on Batman #655. Who is that on the last page? Is it Talia? Or someone else? Not a bad read if a bit quick and I love the synopsis for the next issue:

It's the Dark Knight vs. the League of Assassins' Ninja Man-Bats!

Sounds like it would make a great 'toon.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

I assumed it was Talia, because I was told that this issue is tied into Son of a Demon.

And, for the picky readers, Newsarama has an article on the "sub-text" for #855. I don't know if some of that isn't reaching for subtle messages, but it's an interesting adjunct to the issue.

[ August 19, 2006, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I assumed it was Talia, because I was told that this issue is tied into Son of a Demon.

Right on both. Son of a Demon is one of the few pre-Hush Batman arcs I think I collected.

Read #656 and it wasn't too bad, maybe a bit predictable. Does anyone else think that Kubert's art looks like Wally Wood here though? I had flashbacks to House of Mystery and Plop! while reading some panels. Especially the ones with Langstrom.

[ August 23, 2006, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
ninja man-bats, nuff said!
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Not to mention... Thanksgiving with Aunt Agatha!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I can't wait!

And yes, that's Talia and her and Bruce's son that has been in and out of continuity for twenty years.

I think this is the [insert whichever brother it is} Kubert art I've seen possibly ever too!

Matt, I highly reccomend both books right now. think we're on the verge of a GREAT era for the main two bat-books.

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
"Man-bats. Ninja Man-bats. Alarming twist." [LOL]
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Oct issues:

Detective - I'm loving these stories so far! Reformed Penguin was great, and seeing reformed Riddler again was cool too. I hope both keep a continued presence in the stories. Dini's Bruce was great to see too. The wise-cracking Batman of this new era is fun. Lois Lane was a plus, and the story itself was well-written and fun. If that Magician stays around, he could end up being a very likable character. I already like his motivation for staying.

What has me most excited is next month's solicit with Dr. Phosphorus. I like the lesser known Bat-villains the most. I don't see how Rupert Thorne could be around though, considering he was killed by Hugo Strange in the 70's.

Batman - Also a great read. I already hate Batman's kid though, and hope we don't see *too* much of him. Still, Morrison did a great job as usual, and the dramatic show of Damien holding the Spook's severed head was done very well. Batman is great here again, and the scene when he yells at Damien was very intense and welcome.

The Spook is another villain I really like, although this version had pretty much run out of mystery, so I don't mind his death. I wouldn't mind seeing Morrison introducing a second Spook with even more mystery that could potentially be a big threat to Batman.

All and all, I'm quite satifisied with the (2) main Bat titles still and can't wait for more!

Eryk Davis Ester

Previews of next week's Batman and Detective are up at Newsarama.
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.