Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 22)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Huntress #6 was decent ending to a great 4 issue mini-series that was told in 6 issues. Despite the padding and muddling around, it was still intriguing. Not sold on a Helena Wayne who's a killer, but the opponents here were pretty scummy. I liked how she enjoys having the price on her head, and the bargain she makes with the dictator's son. I'll be giving World's Finest a look, for sure.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Is anybody reading Red Hood & the Outlaws ? It's one of my favorites of the DCnU... it's mostly Jason's story but Roy and Kory get plenty of panel-time too... I know some folks weren't happy with how Kory was presented in the first couple of issues, but I like this bad-ass version... Roy comes off a little needy but it's an interesting take... issue 9 is part of the "Night of the Owls" storyline, but doesn't seemed forced... Tim Drake made an appearance a couple of issues back, and another member of the bat-family shows up at the end of this issue... waiting for the inevitable meeting with Batman himself... highly recommended...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Regardiing the Batman book by Snyder. If what I just heard/saw is true...the book had completely jumped the shark in my opinion. Just sayin...
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I've avoided spoilers on purpose, so I'm glad I don't know what you're referring to yet.

But at this point I've stopped reading all the Batman books (comic starring Batman) except for Snyder's Batman. I'm also reading Catwoman & Nightwing, both of which I enjoy immensely. Everything else was dropped.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Dropped Batman in favour of Batman Inc (which I haven't got to yet), but read the spoilers online. That's pretty wild stuff if it holds up.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I kinda like the spoiler if only because I'm a big fan of the

Click Here For A Spoiler 1970s World's Finest series

that got this whole story in motion. I really hated when they did it with

Click Here For A SpoilerBarry Allen

though so I can understand the outrage. And it does seem a little creatively bankrupt.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I've avoided spoilers on purpose, so I'm glad I don't know what you're referring to yet.

But at this point I've stopped reading all the Batman books (comic starring Batman) except for Snyder's Batman. I'm also reading Catwoman & Nightwing, both of which I enjoy immensely. Everything else was dropped.

I'm curious as to why you dropped the Morrison Batman book? I haven't been reading it but I was wondering how it stacked up against his old DCU run, which I know we were both big fans of.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
Dropped Batman in favour of Batman Inc (which I haven't got to yet), but read the spoilers online. That's pretty wild stuff if it holds up.

Oh yeah, I'm getting this too. [Smile]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Forgot about the earlier thing Blacula...does not make it any netter imho though. I also totally agree n the second point you make.

I just kinda expected more from Snyder. Glad I dropped a long time ago.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ Having only read his previous Dick-as-Batman run and thinking back to the James Gordon Jr. as serial killer arc, it does seem like

Click Here For A Spoiler he has an obsession with screwing with his characters' back-stories so that there is always something even more DARK and EVIL at the heart of them than we realized. I hear he did it with his update on Mr Freeze's origin too. Seems like a story-telling technique that could get old fast.

It also seems kinda weird to go there with Bruce's back-story like this so soon after Morrison treaded similar ground in a much more imaginative way in his recent run.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by SharkLad:
Is anybody reading Red Hood & the Outlaws ? It's one of my favorites of the DCnU... it's mostly Jason's story but Roy and Kory get plenty of panel-time too... I know some folks weren't happy with how Kory was presented in the first couple of issues, but I like this bad-ass version... Roy comes off a little needy but it's an interesting take... issue 9 is part of the "Night of the Owls" storyline, but doesn't seemed forced... Tim Drake made an appearance a couple of issues back, and another member of the bat-family shows up at the end of this issue... waiting for the inevitable meeting with Batman himself... highly recommended...

I love Red Hood. Never expected to, but it's one of my favourites now. Lots of action, some weird adversaries, all three characters get sufficient panel time and insight into what makes them tick. Their powers are unbelievable but their characters are entirely credible. Kory has been toned down considerably on the mindless sex front, and it's a big improvement.

It does look like a confrontation with Batman is imminent. At this point, I think I'm siding with Jason.

Court of Owls: I've liked the concept, but I've found the story dragging a bit. Less fighting, more detective work would be my choice. Didn't get all the Bat books involved in the story, I just figured it would be more of the same Bat person confronts Talon, wins or comes to a draw and Talon slinks off.

Catwoman continues to be a fun, thief-filled story. I like Selina's new partner in crime, although he doesn't really have much character at this point. Maybe he's just meant to be a pretty boy with a cool power.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Yeah, Court of Owls has been kind of a bust for me. The concept is good, and the issues prior to the crossover were good, but the actual execution of the crossover itself has been pretty lackluster. The first one I read was a "oh, interesting story about this Talon!"; then the next one was pretty similar; then the next one was almost the same. Basically it's 9+ done-in-ones about a different Talon. Within four weeks, it's a bit of going back to the well eight too many times.
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Batman, Inc. #1 was pretty groovy. I loved how Morrison was able to bring the Bat-Cow from Tiny Titans over into the main continuity. The story seems to pick up without a hitch from before, with only the mention of Nobody to even suggest this is "New 52". Hopefully it stays that way, as I'd rather this story finish out with minimal interruption from the new universal status quo. The story's too far along now for such distractions.
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Batman, Inc. #2 was basically the "Secret Origin of Talia", which will make the continuity obsessed's heads explode. O'Neil/Adams "Tales of the Demon" stuff is in, "Son of the Demon", "Death and the Maidens" and possibly "Birth of the Demon" are out. Damien was conceived while Bruce was Batman and after the infamous shirtless fight with R'as in the desert. Which means Bruce has been Batman at least 11 years (So much for that nu52 timeline).

The story itself was good and gives us insight into Morrison's take on Talia, which is decidedly more evil and ruthless than past depictions. The issue also deals with how R'as fits into all of this, and ends with Talia going full-on Leviathan.

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

John Layman ("Chew") comes on board as Detective writer this fall. Thoughts from those still reading Chew?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
John Layman ("Chew") comes on board as Detective writer this fall. Thoughts from those still reading Chew?

That's interesting. I've only ever read his stuff from Chew (which is excellent), so it's hard to predict how he will translate to Batman. Chew has a very comedic tone that is wrapped around a very inventive storyline. If nothing else, it's likely Layman will bring something fresh to the table.

Color me intrigued.... [Hmmm?]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.