Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 23)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad to see him getting a high profile gig, and I'm hoping he won't have too much editorial interference. It really has the potential to he a lot of fun if he can bring woke of the creative vigor of Chew to Batman.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Eryk and Lardy. Hopefully editorial let's him do his thing.

Considering how 'meh' 'Tec, B&R and DK have been, ts certainly a welcome change.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Very interesting! The first thing that comes to mind is something like "Batman's Bad Night", where everything goes crazy wrong for him and he's surrounded by weirdness. Not that dressing up as a bat isn't weird to begin with....

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I hope Layman has both the courage and editorial backing to tell some unconventional Batman stories. Otherwise, I don't see the point in hiring him. Sure am hoping for the best!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^ [Yes]

And maybe they could even let him bring a subtle bit of humor to the series. Now *that* would be refreshing.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
^ [Yes]

And maybe they could even let him bring a subtle bit of humor to the series. Now *that* would be refreshing.

FUCK to the YEAH! [Yes]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I see from Previews that the Batman book will be featuring The Joker. I'm out - not only tired of this over-used villain, it really does kick the insane violence up a big notch. Court of Owls was something new, no lack of violence there, but they were a lot more interesting as adversaries.

Hopefully, Detective will be a worthwhile read.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

I dropped Batman but did get the last issue, which was unusual. A young woman who's a whiz at electrical stuff figured out some of Batman's tricks and tried to help him out - much more her (and her brother's) story, standing up to bullies and bad guys, she's inspired by Batman. She'd be a good secondary character in the series.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Y'know. While Snyder's stuff on the DCnUCoke*** isn't bad, I've come to realize that his run on Detective pre-DCnUCoke (with Dick under the cowl...heh, that was unintentionally funny [LOL] ) was much, MUCH better! This relaunch is a lot more style over substance, and it doesn't help that it's been dragging on with the Court of Owls storyline until very recently. And the pay-off was kinda wishy-washy to boot, having a major revelation but then backing off.

I think Snyder, Jock and Francavilla were absolute MAGIC on 'Tec, imo. They told moody, complex stories. Sure, there was an over-arcing plot with James Gordon, Jr., but I liked how the seperate and related bits could stand on their on. And that finale to the 'Tec run---WOW!

Capullo does admirable work on the book, but I wouldn't put it up there with my personally definitive takes on the character. If Greg gave way to Francavilla, well, I'd more than likely consider it a top book still.

I don't know if Snyder was more inspired writing Dick Grayson or not, but I haven't seen all that much in his interpretation of Bruce to make me think Bruce does it for him. That issue where Bruce is drugged, crazy and captive was something else, but really, it may as well have never happened for all the lack of consequence shown.

As it stands, I may or may not pick up individual issues of Batman from here on out, but it's not on my pull list anymore, along with the rest of the lot with the lone exception of LSH. I suspect I could easily do without or simple await the trades since the stories drag out like much of the other DCnUCoke books do.

***Props to Cobie for this one! [LOL]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I totally agree with your assessment. While not bad by any means, Snyder's Batman run (and Swamp Thing run) is just not comparing with his previous run on Detective and his work on American Vampire. There is a little something lacking that is making them a bit more run of the mill.

The major problem, I believe, is the dragged out story-telling style. The scripts & plots are just not as tight. And a good indicator of that is Batman #12, which actually was a fantastic story—the best issue of the Batman run so far! Snyder delivered a tight, personal script that hit all the right beats and it was far more effective than the previous 11 issues combined.

I actually think Capullo is fantastic as an artist and I'm enjoying his artwork. I think the problem lies more on Snyder's side. Either he's not meeting Capullo's strengths or trying to play to them too much and therefore is not pushing enough of his own. Jock and Francavilla were moody and atmospheric, and it worked. Capullo is a totally different artist but he can nail those beats in his own way.

As it stands, Batman is a solid mid-tier, B-level comic book right now. It just so happens to be one of DC's best, but that isn't really saying much. But when compared to American Vampire, which Snyder writes, you're left wondering why it isn't a whole lot better?

(Psst: we know the answer is editorial).

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I dropped Batman (and am dangerously close to dropping Swamp Thing). The only Bat-title left on my list is Batman Inc., which I'm hopeful will put aside any reference to the New52 at all and just finish out the story Morrison started years ago.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Batman Inc #0 sure was pretty.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Good reviews coming in for John Layman's first issue of 'Tec....

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:

That's because Frazier Irving is amazing.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:

That's because Frazier Irving is amazing.
Just read it, and yeah, that was pretty amazing. Batman, Inc. remains a consistently great read.

Love all the small character bits: Guacho's personality coming through in a few small panels; an explanation for how the Musketeer & Nightrunner interact in France; the humor of the Russian Batman; Knight being the perennial sidekick who made good (a role Wally West used to exemplify *sniff*) and of course, the awesome story for Dark Ranger.

I'm not sure this series can exist without Grant, though. It could so easily fall into the same "mediocre DC team book with little to offer" doldrums that just about all of DC's team series are in these days.

This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.