Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Batman, Detective Comics and Batman & Robin
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
...Dixon on Robin & Outsiders... I'm pretty happy with the Bat-books these days.

Hmm well it was fun while it lasted.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay so the latest issue of RIP came out this week, and the story is starting to come together.

So far the tie-ins with the other Bat books have been well done. They aren't really tie-ins in the usual sense. Dini manages to mention Batman and the Black Glove somewhere in his stories, while Nightwing has a reference to Bruce's behaviour and his change in duds. These minimal affectations to the stories allow teh books to keep their own feel. It's very much like they aren't tie-ins at all.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm totally with you CJ. RIP is coming together and I'm actually loving it so far. The issue with Bruce with Honor Jackson was for sure a "Morrison Tangent" story, but I thought it was pretty damn excellent. I just love what Morrison is doing here.

Also, I agree about the other series tie-ing in only slightly, which works to those title's advantages:

(1) Detective - while usually good lately, is spot-on good with Hush here. Hush has been hit/miss with me and I like how he's played here, and actually like the revelation of his past 'mentor'. I also like the notion of a Catwoman/Zatana/Bruce love triangle.

(2) Robin - wow, Fabien, WELCOME!!! I was shocked, shocked I tell you, to actually be so into his two issues! I hope he's staying for a longer time (I barely ever check comics news anymore). But he really picked right up where Dixon left off (yay, continuity as it should be!) and has a great two-parter with some really strong insight and character focus on Tim. Tim's revelation to himself at the end, though certainly not meant to be a surprise is both heroic and slightly tragic, in how you can see he could one day be a lot more like Bruce than we previously thought

(3) Nightwing - I've got to be honest, I've pretty much hated every single Nightwing issue up until RIP. I kept trying to give it a chance, but Devin really did a number on it, Bruce Jones didn't help, Wolfman couldn't really save it, and Tomasi's first couple issues weren't stellar. But something clicked here. The use of Two-Face, the new interesting DA character who is different than the 1,000 past females to show up in Nightwing, the art. I'm liking it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

DC should learn from RIP and the Sinestro Corps events. We don't want large all encompassing cross overs, but the occasional story line bleeding into related titles is acceptable

I'm considering the Superman crossover this fall. And I haven't bought an issue of Big Blue... ever!

rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I still have no clue what is happening, but I am loving every minute. I haven't picked up Nightwing, but Detective and Robin have been better then average.
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
DC should learn from RIP and the Sinestro Corps events. We don't want large all encompassing cross overs, but the occasional story line bleeding into related titles is acceptable

Sales of Secret invasion seem to suggest otherwise.

At any rate, DC did learn from Sinestro Corps War. That's why RIP and the upcoming Superman crossover are unfolding the way they are. That's also part of why Final Crisis is comparatively self-contained.

The fanbase is rewarding DC for this by....well, by buying just about everything that says "Secret Invasion" on it.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
A great analysis of individual issues of Morrison's Batman run can be found here. Start from the bottom though and work your way up.

I just spent an hour reading them, and its great stuff, and helped me refresh my memory of what's gone down so far.

I honestly have no idea where this is going and that pleases me. Like most of you, I'd imagine, there are a handful of guesses I'd be able to make but honestly they'd just be guesses.

I do think "Batman is crazy" or "Batman is actually the Black Glove" is a red herring. I love, love, love the fact that Honor Jackson, Bat-Mite and the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh are a way for Batman's psyche to combat psychological attacks.

I'm in love with this run. For the first time in years (decades?) I think Batman might be DC's best [in-contiuity] comic. Its certainly surpassed JSA, and is tied with GL at least.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
LOLCatz sez, "Ai RIPz all yer Bats-Man comix!" [Evil]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
If Batman has Bat-Mite, Catwoman should have LOLCatz.

Thanks for the annotations Cobie. I luvs me some annotations (especially for Morrison), but wonder about more and more comics needing annotations... [Hmmm?]

Anyways, it's good to go back and see what I missed.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm the same way FC. I love annotations, especially like here, but I've got to wonder if its a good thing that there's such a pre-existing gap to be filled by these annotations.
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
listened to comicbookqueers podcast and one of the hosts suggested this: Click Here For A Spoilerthe black glove is the devil, perhaps Neron. this came from something grant morrison said on his site which was basically "it's very upfront". here's the quote "Can YOU guess the identity of the Black Glove? I keep thinking it’s so upfront, so obvious, that readers will inevitably demand an impromptu hanging when the reveal is revealed but, as ever, the looming possibility of public execution is part of the fun of writing BATMAN."

ok so ... the podcast made me want to pick it up again. the host suggested that all the things that gordon was throwing out at the beginning was more like morrison talking to us going "it's not this, this, or this".

i want to read this but i need your help, guys! a big problem i was having was that i didn't understand what order to read these in! the checklist doesn't seem to list in chrnono-order!

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Okay so while Morrison plays with Batman's mind, Dini is messing with his heart. The latest issue of 'Tec is full of Hush being sick and twisted, Scarecrow being creepy, and a hell of an ending.

This book truly deserves more spotlight.

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by veryvery:

i want to read this but i need your help, guys! a big problem i was having was that i didn't understand what order to read these in! the checklist doesn't seem to list in chrnono-order!

Really, the entire story is in "Batman", all the rest is tangential to the main plot (some things on the checklist don't even fit in in any discernible way). At best they just fill in holes like "What the heck were XXXXX doing when Batman disappeared?". Stick with just the Batman title and you'll be fine.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
thanks so much rouge!!

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The latest issue dragged a bit for me. Too much Joker, a character I really don't like, and he's weirder than ever. That's Morrison for you. I don't know if Batman gets the red/black stuff, but I don't. Still, good insights into Batman's thinking throughout this series. I probably need to reread the whole thing in one sitting.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.