Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Thor, the God of Thunder (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Thor, the God of Thunder
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I read that Thor will be dealing with the registration act in a way that hasn't been done yet. I'm going to guess "diplomatic immunity"

Didn't Black Panther & Storm pull that one?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I will probably buy this initially, because I have a soft spot for the ol' thunder god. The only time I read it regularly was Simonson, and damn, that was good. I had read the Norse myths extensively as a kid, and Simonson really managed to blend those into the Marvel Universe. But, the reason for the soft spot is the occasional Thor issue/reprint I would pick up as a little kid. Thor was just so out there, so cosmic and bombastic! "Prepare yourselves for...the unimaginable!" kind of stuff. I think in "Origins of Marvel," they reprinted a story where Thor dropped into a soda shop for a drink and gave the kids a hallucinogenic tour of Asgard. It was amazing! That sense of wonder, somehow anchored in human emotions, was what Thor at its best delivered. My fear is JMS will turn all of that on its head in an effort to be innovative and ironic. We'll see. The comedy of manners comment itself doesn't terrify me too much since that culture clash was always part of Thor. I'm more concerned there won't be enough All-Out Cosmic Action!

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I read that Thor will be dealing with the registration act in a way that hasn't been done yet. I'm going to guess "diplomatic immunity"

Didn't Black Panther & Storm pull that one?
That would make sense. I was actually wondering about that when I made my guess, but I don't know for sure whether they did or not.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm just not happy Donald Blake is returning. I'm not JMS' biggest fan either. But I'm a big Thor fan as well as Olivier so I will check it out.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whom
May Be Concerned

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whom           Edit/Delete Post     
Bah! Thou shalt all regret the waste of thy currency!
Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Verily, lovely Amora, thee art most likely correct! And yet, waste it I shall, perchance to see the adroit Olivier render thy toothsome form once again 'pon the comics page! Forsooth!

<OK, we really need a Stan Lee/Shakespearian English thread, and now!>

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Amora the Enchantress and the Executioner always reminded me of the Emerald Empress and the Persecuter.

(And Loki/Mordu and Computo/Ultron but thats another thread)

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
For me, Thor pretty much begins and ends with Walt Simonson's run. He captured so perfectly what I felt the character should be like and no one has really managed to match it since. His story was so epic that anything else seems petty by comparison. These are gods we're talking about here. They should be larger than life. Somehow, grounding them anywhere on earth diminishes them to the point of irrelevance.
I won't be reading this run.

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So, has anyone else picked this up?

I read # 1 and was pleasantly surprised. It contains a positive message about Thor wanting to come back from "the void" and an innovative way of reintroducing Blake.

We are introduced to precisely one Oklahoman in this issue, and her personality and dialogue seem fairly authentic for a middle-aged, middle class Midwesterner. I don't know how important she is going to be in the story, but JMS spent a lot of time introducing her.

I don't follow comics news, so I had no idea who was relaunching the title. I didn't even pay attention to the credits until the end of the story, so I was surprised to see Coipel's name. He's come along way since his Legion work. His Thor work looks majestic, as it should.

My only complaint is that Thor appears too young, almost like he's 18. Granted that the guy's immortal, but I prefer him as a contemporary of Iron Man and Cap.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, I picked it up. I'm not much of a Thor fan, so got it mainly to check in on Coipel. I miss him on the Legion and enjoyed his Avengers work. The story itself seemed kind of light, but the Oklahoma angle is unique. I actually liked Coipel's Blake more than I did his Thor. My favorite image was Blake walking along the Oklahoma highway with the rolling fields toward the end.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry:
I actually liked Coipel's Blake more than I did his Thor.

I agree. Blake is more interesting here than he's ever been, in my opinion.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
<--------------------BIG Thor fan

Haven't picked it up yet, but will. HWW, your review makes me happy, I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised and like what I find here too.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Big Thor fan as well. I have picked it up. Not a Donald Blake fan. I just hate when writers bring back silver age alter-egos, supporting characters, etc. Don Blake can burn in comic book limbo along Pepper Potts as far as I'm concerned.

Not the biggest fan of JMS. I admit the first issue was pretty good despite JMS and Blake. [Wink]

I'm just not that excited about Thor anymore. Was hoping for something more creative than Donald Blake.

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I always thought that Thor lost something important when he lost Donald Blake. There's a Christ motif involved when a god takes takes on human form, but Thor had an extra understanding of human frailty, since Blake was crippled.

--------------------

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
House could kick Blake's @$$. [Wink]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.