Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Thor, the God of Thunder (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Thor, the God of Thunder
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, but all Blake has to do is tap that cane on the ground, and House becomes a fried weenie.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Walt Simonson did pretty good without Blake. I think it's a challenge for the writer to write a god.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I know I'm in the minority, but Simonson's run was where I started to lose interest in Thor. My memories of it now are vague, but I do recall thinking his artwork was blocky and incoherent, and the story lines just didn't interest me.

Back to the god in human form idea, I like Thor best when he interacts with us mere mortals and learns from us as much as we learn from him. Thor having the limitation that, when he drops his hammer for one hour, he reverts to Blake, and Blake's inability to save everyone as a doctor (which is mentioned in the new issue) give him a much more believable reason for "loving midgard" and wanting to protect it than he has otherwise.

Also, while I like Asgard, Balder, Sif, Fandral, etc., I don't wish to see Norse mythology become Thor's primary setting. I just like the character best when he's a godlike fish out of water.

So, I'm intrigued by JMS's "comedy of manners" approach. As long as he doesn't demean either Thor or Oklahomans, it should prove interesting.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think Thor works great with and without Blake. There's so many periods in Thor's history where Blake wouldn't show up for like 20+ issues, that its pretty much been a sense that he's "sometimes in the comic, sometimes not". I don't mind either way.

Thor does excel with a strong supporting cast of both Asgardians and human beings, and even oddball alien types (Recorder and Tana Nile, I'm looking at you). I would like to see a good amount of time in Asgard though--but with a strong balance b/t time there and on Earth.

Being the writer on Thor is one of my Marvel dream jobs, possibly only second to Spidey.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree about the supporting cast Cobie.

I just think it's more of a challenge for Thor to learn about humans if he's 6'6" and godly. And I actually like the fantastic supporting cast of non-normal humans. Give me aliens, super-heroes, mutants, and robots. [Smile]

HWW, I've never met a person who didn't like the Simonson run.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm holding judgment until I get #1 witn my DCBS shipment Monday or Tuesday. (!) [Big Grin]

And Jorge, I wasn't a big fan of Simonson's Thor; I liked it enough to check out the high spots-- "Frog of Thunder", Beta Ray Bill, Thor grows a beard...

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
HWW, I've never met a person who didn't like the Simonson run.

Well, now you have. [Smile]

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Blah, you Donald Blake fans can bite me! [Wink]

Anyways, issue #2 is pretty good. Not much happens. I mean Asgard returns. That is about it. But I can't wait for the next issue.

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Blah, you Donald Blake fans can bite me! [Wink]

We don't bite. We hit you with a big stick. [Big Grin]

I haven't bought # 2, though I'll look through it to see if it's worth pursuing next time I'm in the LCS.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Finally read #1, and I have to say I'm impressed and excited. It was a very good issue and the reasoning behind Thor’s return was sound and powerful. Glad JMS addressed the reason Blake left the series in the first place, and then dismissed it.

A very powerful first issue, but lets hope the pacing gets faster as the series moves along.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I really enjoyed the first 2 issues, and I say that as someone who has of late soured on JMS's comics. I HAVEN'T read Thor since Simonson, but JMS seems to have done a great job of explaining the last significant events in a very economical, uncomplicated way. I like that approach. Thor's love for Sif, and there star-crossed history, gets powerfully portrayed with virtually no exposition. The Oklahomans are treated respectfully and appropriately amusingly. I really delighted in seeing the farmer bottom out his pickup with Asgard gelt.

It's clear he's stealing liberally from Gaiman's Sandman and American Gods with the idea of "Man decides when Gods live and die" thing. Not that I object. Steal from the best. I just wonder if he talked to Gaiman about it first?

This is the first time in a long time that I've liked the Donald Blake character. The Thor/Blake relationship has always been one of the most...confusing in comics, right up there with Captain Marvel/Billy Batson. Are they the same person? If not, is there arrangement not kinda creepy? JMS does a good job of portraying Blake as a distinct personality that is nevertheless a piece of Thor's soul.

Olivier's art is a thing to behold. I cannot believe how much he has grown since his Legion days. Thor has rarely looked more compelling. I especially like his huge nose and how it basically fuses into his forehead, Mr. Incredible-style.

I have 2 quibbles that I will revise and amend as the story goes on, if warranted. First, Asgard looks too Harry Potter/Mad King Ludwig and not enough Viking/Kirby weird shit. Second, the thing I remember from the classic Kirby Thor stories I have read was that Thor was, well, jolly. He smiled ALOT. He loved his life and his adventures. I realize the story so far doesn't warrant jocularity, but if JMS doesn't take the first opportunity to give Thor a belly-laugh, I will conclude this is another post-modern mopefest.

Overall, though, it's a delight to read this character again. The Kirby/Lee Thor was the most way-out, way-cool stuff I had ever seen when I was a kid. I devoured the "real" Norse myths almost as soon as I was capable of reading them. I really want this character back and in good form.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
It's clear he's stealing liberally from Gaiman's Sandman and American Gods with the idea of "Man decides when Gods live and die" thing. Not that I object. Steal from the best. I just wonder if he talked to Gaiman about it first?

Gaiman hardly invented the concept. It's a very old idea that was explored in Star Trek's "Who Mourns for Adonais?" for one example.

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Well it happened in the Thor title already...well Journey Into Mystery.

The gods stuck in human form with amnesia. I am really suprised JMS is doing that again. But the writing is good and the art is amazing so I don't mind much. Plus it's always a fun way to reintroduce characters I love.

walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up the first two issues and was pleasantly surprised.

I'm a big Thor fan. He has the potential to be a VERY impresive and powerful character - if done well - and that seems to be the problem right there. He isn't always "done well".

When I first read the interview wlth JMS (The link was posted here) stating that he is planning to make it a comedy of manners I was horrified. Having read the issue: whilst the scene he described (The farmer driving up and complaining) was in the story, it came across as, quite, wry and unforced - as opposed to a total farce (as I was dreading).

JMS does get across Thors sense of granduer and nobility without making him seem pompous or ridiculous. I like his new speech pattern as well. His old "Thee" and "Thou" style was one of the easiest targets for lampooning and when done badly made the character seem foolish.

I agree with double chinner about Thors sense of humour but, as he pointed out, now is hardly the time for wild parties. When the Gods DO return though, there better be one hell of a banquet.

Donald Blake comes across as extremely interesting and I want to see his relationship with Thor explored further. Like Doublchinner said, their relationship was never really clarified. Was Donald Blake real? Did Odin just make him up? Was he a distinct personality or just a "suit of clothes" Thor donned when in his cicvilian guise? It looks like that is being set up as a MAJOR plot line for the future and I'm all for it.

The art was excellent. I REALLY like Thors new look, the squarer, flatter face makes him look much more like a viking warrior than the golden haired pretty boy he has, sometimes been portayed as, in the past.

Asgard DOES look kind of bare and medieval just now. I do prefer the Kirby dreamscape style. You could argue that the new style is more realistic but, we are talking about mythological beings here; a little grandeur and "Kirbyism" is fine with me.

So, basically, whilst the first few isues have been, kind of, slow it looks like it is only a slow boil and once things heat up we might see something really good.

It seems like Thor is in good hands. I'll be sticking around for a while yet.

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Not much happens. I mean Asgard returns. That is about it.

[ROTFLMAO]

Sorry, Jorge, that just hit me as SOOO funny...! [Big Grin]

Like CNN announcing "American Forces caught Osama Bin Laden. Scientists found a cure for cancer. But that's it, slow news day today... "

[LOL]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.