Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Mystic Arcana: Magik, the Black Knight, the Scarlet Witch, and Nico

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mystic Arcana: Magik, the Black Knight, the Scarlet Witch, and Nico
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Comic Book Resources Mystic Arcana Black Knight article

I'm a huge Black Knight fan! This seems to focus on the original Timely character the current Black Knight is based on (and related to).

Looks pretty sweet. Tom Grummet doing the art! I've looked at some of the original BK Timely stuff and Grummet is certainly going for that style.

Anyone read the other Mystic Arcana stuff? I don't even know if they came out yet.

[ June 19, 2007, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Ultra Jorge ]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I love the Black Knight, too, but I'm skipping the whole Mystic Arcana thing. I'm just tired of mega-crossovers -- I just had to get back into comics when mega-crossovers were making a comeback, didn't I? My timing was terrible. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Is it a mega crossover? I thought it was just a mini series... Either way, I'm checking it out. Magic stuff interests me and I've always had a soft spot for Illyana and Wanda (pre-crazy, anyway).

I'm actually pretty excited to see the Black Knight again, as well. I've only recently discovered him (in New Excalibur and Black Panther) but he's nifty. [Smile] I'm a fan.

And Nico? Totally psyched. I really love Runaways (in case I somehow failed to mention that before) and hope that this will be a good introduction for her into a larger magical continuity.

Heh. Magical continuity. I feel as though there's an oxymoron in there somewhere... [Wink]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Mega crossover? Mystic Arcana's a four-issue mini, with lead writers telling one-shot stories, all in flashback (Louise Simonson on Magik, set during a New Mutants issue in Ancient Egypt, Roy Thomas on Black Knight which you've seen, Jeff Parker on Scarlet Witch in her teenage years and C.B. Cebulski on Nico from Runaways between Runaways v1 #17 & 18) and a four-part backup by David Sexton starring an obscure Dr Strange villain, Ian McNee.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
A four issue mini-series, huh? In that case, I'll browse through each issue and see what I think, but I really can't work up much enthusiasm at the moment.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Ok I read the first issue featuring Magik.

The writer is David Sexton who I think has written some other stuff about magic and tarot cards.

With that said the guy won me over already using an obscure Marvel character called Ian McNee. He was created by Roger Stern back in the early eighties. Ian seems to be the character that ties all four issues. He is a young man with vast magical potential. He is a cool character.

He runs into some trouble and begs the egyptian goddess Oshtur (aka Astarte). She saves him as long as he does a favor for her. It has to do with an ancient egyptian sorcerer.

Enter Magik. She is transported back in time with Dani (young Dani it seems but it does happen during the current New X-Men arc). Her teleportation powers who have always been wacky send her back. She meets a sorceress who is Storm's ancestor.

It gets a bit...complicated but she saves the day by tricking the evil sorcerer. There is a magical weapon called a bone sword. She returns to the New X-Men arc.

It wasn't great but it was pretty good.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
The writer is David Sexton who I think has written some other stuff about magic and tarot cards.

[...]

Enter Magik. She is transported back in time with Dani (young Dani it seems but it does happen during the current New X-Men arc).

If you looked at the recap page, you'd have seen that the the Magik part:

1) ...occurs between pages of New Mutants v1 #32
2) ...and was written by Louise Simonson [Smile]

Not quite sure when the McKee part is meant to be happening - you'd expect it to be present-day, but the "War of the Seven Spheres" was a 90s Doctor Strange subplot which lasted thousands of years in a mystic dimension, but about a year on MU-Earth - and was thus over by Sensational Spider-Man v1 #22. Odd place to tie into.

[ June 19, 2007, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Occurs between pages of New Mutants? duh! I kept reading New X-Men. My bad.

I liked Ian. Marvel has ton of mystical characters actually that are very obscure but would rock in a Vertigo type setting.

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It was okay, but it didn't grab me. I don't think I'll be getting anymore issues.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
The Black Knight issue is out and it's terrific. Much better than the prior one IMO.

The story deals with the origin and life of the first Black Knight, Sir Percival and is extremely well written. The artwork is also spectacular.

Worth picking up even if you aren't interested in the entire mini.

Easily my one of my favorite comics of the week!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I agree Vee. Great art. A possible retcon there as well. Is Sir Percy a demi-god now? Was Mordred always his cousin? I thought Scandia was Denmark possibly? They made it part of England here. So may people have written their take on Marvel's Camelot and Black Knight it's hard to keep track. I guess I should just enjoy the story. Tom Grummet drew some awesome pages!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.