Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Fantastic Four & FF (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Fantastic Four & FF
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I recently read the Millar UFF Vol. 6 TPB ("FRIGHTFUL") and it rawked.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
Cobie, PAD was handpicked by Jim Starlin to take over the writing of the very cosmic comic book Dreadstar; I seem to remember reading in another thread that you haven't read any of Dreadstar; I would actually recommend starting with PAD's issues -- 41 to 64 -- because they're better paced and have more action, and there's a plot recap on the inside front cover of every issue.

Now I'm really intrigued! My lack of Dreadstar reading is something I really need to correct. I've totally forgotten about looking for back issues of it!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I've never read Dreastar either.

You know this is going to give the FF some serious attention. I'm glad it isn't a Ultimate story, or a alternate timeline. It's the regular FF. I gotta give them kudos for that.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
In an unrelated search, I followed a link that led to Mark Millar's website, millarworld, where I came across some info about the art that accompanied the announcement of the FF's new creative team.

Those panels with Sue and several women? Apparently, Invisible Woman is starting a super-team of her own, to be called the FRIENDS OF MISS AMERICA.

That alone, makes me interested.

Gotta say, though, that it's really sad that Wanda Maximoff (most likely) won't be included among the FRIENDS.

Looking at the art, I thought one of the women really looks like Crystal. That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, given the events of SILENT WAR. However, it wouldn't be the first time that Sue Richards defied expectations by consorting with an 'enemy', would it?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
These pencilled pages by Bryan Hitch have been leaked. Enjoy them while you can (they've already been taken down from Newsarama.)

http://pipelinernd.blogspot.com/2007/11/newsarama-made-uh-oh-spoiler-alert.html

They look great, but I'm still not gonna buy the book. [Smile]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Another thing. While I've always liked the FF I need a reason to buy the comic. I need either a new status quo, new creative team, or new event. I've never been a monthly collector of the book. I collect them by story arcs.

This seems like a good time to jump on. [Smile]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm more excited for this than any other FF related thing in the last fifteen years (the time I've been 'reading it off the stands' as opposed to reading back issues...I started with FF #1 after all [Big Grin] ).

Miller gets the FF and the 'spirit of the book', as shown in Ultimate FF. That intangible sense of understanding the 'spirit' or 'voice' of the series is important in all comics, but moreso with the FF than most. Waid, JMS and McDuffie (among numerous others) didn't quite excel at that.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I decided to give it a fair chance and read it at the store.

The opening with the locomotive speeding through time & space would have been more thrilling if Simonson hadn't done the same thing 18 years ago.

The double-page splash of the space station was good...but Alan Davis drew a better one recently in FF: The End.

It's practical for Sue to pull her hair back, as she did during the Byrne era, but not in the trendily messy style of the 3boot Saturn Girl. Sue has more class than that.

Millar tries to do Stan Lee-style banter, but I think it comes off cheezy.

Millar's newfound earnestness feels, to me, just as insincere and calculated as his extended kill-shock-kill phase.

But even if I'd liked it, I still wouldn't have bought it, because I think Millar is a boil on the left buttock of the comic book industry, and I could never bring myself to contribute to his royalties.

--------------------

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I bought it and thought it was entertaining, but hardly world-shaking.

The part I was looking forward to the most-- the Friends of Miss America formation-- was a bit of a disappointment. The idea of a team formatted as a charity could be interesting... and I appreciate the mention of a relative of Madelaine Joyce's being involved.

However, with She-Hulk subbing for Valkyrie in the upcoming DEFENDERS story, and her being the 'go-to' sub for the FF for the last decade or so in place of the characters I'd like to see (Crystal and Medusa), it's getting to the point where I don't like the character again.

Marvel's apparently ignoring SILENT WAR, so why not have Crys as a FRIEND OF MISS AMERICA?

There's room for all, IMO. But that's not gonna happen.

At least Emma Frost wasn't there. Though even I can see how a writer would be tempted to use her for comic value alone.

I'm glad Wasp is included, though, as she's been shown as pretty much Sue's best super-gal friend. And she has the rich girl background that I'm sure includes charity work galore.

How long till there's a super-heroine fashion show? Super-hero auction/strip show?

I'm surprised they dusted off the Alyssa character and I wonder what she's going to bring to series?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the last issue was a real snoozer. Hope it gets better...
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I hope it gets WORSE, and does permanent damage to Millar's career and gets Quesada fired.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA [Evil]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Read the first issue, and I thought it was a decent start. Not mind-blowingly amazing, but a good read.

It certainly had the sense of fun/no limits to granduer sense at the onset with the time travel sequence, which has generally been missing from the FF since Byrne.

I like Alyssia Moy too, so I'm glad someone remembers her other than me and Chris Claremont.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
It certainly had the sense of fun/no limits to granduer sense at the onset with the time travel sequence, which has generally been missing from the FF since Byrne.

How can it have been missing since Byrne if Simonson did the time travel sequence that Millar ripped off?

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I don't think Simonson got the FF at all, and I'm a major fan of Walt's work. But his entire run left me feeling very underwhelmed.

What I mean is more a sense of the 'tone' and 'feel', which of course is highly subjective. I think Millar understands the granduer of Kirby's FF and the limitless of it. Usually Walt Simonsin does too, his Thor and even later Orion work showing that, but I just don't think he knew how to apply it to the very human characters of the FF.

I know you're not a Millar fan [Smile] . I about 50/50 with Millar stories, but I did like his Ultimate FF, and I think he understands the tone of the series better than anyone in comics right now.

I have to say from the onset though that even though I've read most of the entire FF run, I don't really think anyone has gotten it right since Kirby and Lee, other than John Byrne. This includes all recent runs on the title (both Waid's and JMS's being two of the worst in FF history).

Kalla Hrykos
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalla Hrykos   Email Kalla Hrykos         Edit/Delete Post     
I rarely read the FF just because it is so hard to get right. I have read very little of the Lee/Kirby run, but having cut my teeth on them during the Byrne era, I do know what it takes. And I've very rarely been satisfied since.

One of the times I was satisfied was with Simonson's run, so I'll have to disagree with ya there, Des. I loved the crazy ideas, the bigger-than-life art, and most of all, I loved his take on Doom and his history! Coincedentally, that's the most controversial aspect of his run. But if you're the FF writer, this is exactly the kind of risk you have to take!

I also enjoyed Alan Davis's too, too, TOO short run on the title before giving way to Claremont! Ugh! Alan was born to do FF, dammit!!!

As for Waid/Wieringo, I enjoyed the first half of their run a lot, up thru that storyline which ended with the death of the Thing. The story with Ben's return was pretty good, too, but everything after that was forgettable...just too goofy, culminating with the final Galactus arc.

Ironically, the Jim Lee "Heroes Reborn" FF had its moments as well.

I'll definitely try Millar/Hitch, though. Their run on Ultimates was masterful! Though they'll have to use a different approach for the FF, they definitely get the chance from me that I never gave JMS's run or so many others.

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.