Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Fantastic Four & FF (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Fantastic Four & FF
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
I read Epting's first FF issue, and while I thought his art was typically faultless, the story left something to be desired. Hickman seems to put together a story the way a weaver puts together a tapestry. There's a bittiness to Hickman's FF work, not only the individual issues but even the arcs themselves. If Hickman is able to pull off one huge overarching storyline, I'll be impressed, but I'm skeptical.

Having said that, at least Hickman is trying something different rather than just re-hashing Stan & Jack's work. What's going to be the make-or-break factor of Hickman's run is which member ends up dying.

If it's Reed, which seems most likely, it carries unpleasant echoes of the Tom DeFalco FF run.

If it's Sue, there's arguably no reason for the other three to stay together.

If it's Johnny, well, I never cared much for Johnny, and I suspect many people feel the same.

If it's Ben, it could either destroy the book or finally move it forward for the first time in 40 years. I love Ben, but the more I think about it, the more I believe that his full story has already been told (and retold and retold.) And without Ben to outshine them, the other three could finally come into their own.

So I'm taking a 180 degree turn from my previous statements in this thread, and hope it's Ben.

^Fickles (you like that one?), I'm putting little to no thought into who buys it because I know it'll be overturned before too long. No sense getting worked up either way, I'd say.

I think only Sue or Johnny have never died before (Ben died for a minute during Waid & Wiering's run), so it should be one or the other unless Hickman's okay with being repeticious.

Hypothetically, I'd say Sue dying would be the most devastating. She's truly the glue that keeps all of them together. Like I said, doesn't really matter because whoever goes won't be gone any longer than Cap was at the most.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I do like "Fickles." [Smile]

Regarding the "deathwatch", I agree that the "death" will be inevitably overturned, though probably not as long as Hickman's writing the book. But I also think that any member dying will have major repercussions on the quality of the book's direction, and I just hope they're to my liking, because it would suck to buy the book just for Epting's art. And, yes, I buy ANYTHING Epting draws -- I even have Epting's Howard Mackie X-Factor issues!!!!! And the Team X/Team 7 crossover!!!!!!! [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the "tapestry" statement Fickles ( [Love] ) makes above is very apt. The downside being that many individual issues feel pretty unsatisfying in and of themselves. They don't really stand on their own very well. I'd say that's become more and more the case since about the start of the "four cities" issues. Before that, the stories were more satisfying. Since that began, there have been more and more "wtf" moments a la Grant Morrison, especially all that Nu-Earth stuff.

It's the primary problem I've ever had with Morrison. Not that I need my comics dumbed down necessarily, just that I shouldn't have to wait years for any of it to ever pay off or even make a lick of sense (if ever) as with Morrison's Batman stuff. That's definitely a feeling I'm getting more and more with Hickman's FF and with his S.H.I.E.L.D. as well. I don't mind mysteries and, well, tapestries, but play fair with your audience at the same time and engage them with your storytelling.

This sounds tremendously critical of Hickman, I'm aware. For the most part I'm enjoying his comics a lot. But I'm a little wary at the same time, and if he goes to far down that path, he's in danger of losing me down the road.

Honestly, though, I can't see any death being more impactful to the book than either Reed or Sue.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I stopped buying the FF when Millar took over, and I started buying it again when Hickman started his run. I was initially impressed, but not enough to continue buying it....I find that the rest of the team is too often relegated to being Reed's support crew, and in particular he has a really bad handle on Ben and Johnny.

I also have a problem with his storytelling, though not sure exactly how to put my finger on it. I love his ideas and he has a very "Jack and Stan" vision of the Marvel Universe in that it's wildly creative, but I don't think any of those creations are really fleshed out enough to maintain interest? The last issue of the monthly series I got was the one where they discovered the other Atlanteans.

I did just buy the latest annual after flipping though it in the shop though, and I think it's the best FF story I have read in literally years! Everyone got some really good characterisation, and the writer found something new to do with them which still capitalises on the fact that they're first and foremost a family.

One thing in particular that I really liked about the annual was that Johnny seemed more like himself than I have seen him in a really long time. I have resigned myself to the idea that since Millar, Johnny is now the Marvel Universe's Paris Hilton - he's still characterised that way in this annual, but the real altruistic hero that I grew up reading about isn't that far beneath the surface.

If the writing on the monthly series was as good as this annual, I would start buying it again immediately!

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So the much hyped and talked about "Three" story is here and so far I think it's rather excellent!

Steve Epting's arrival is nothing short of BEAUTY. Every panel is just impressive beyond belief. His Dr. Doom is perhaps the best he's ever looked EVER. His Galactus is grandiose and epic in the way Kirby intended. And the scene with Ben Grimm and Alicia was so subtly moody and full of emotion that I found myself really feeling something for them--something I haven't in a really long time. I used to think it was Avengers, then I knew it was El Cazador and then I was sure it was Captain America but suddenly I'm wondering if Epting's perfect comic is Fantastic Four?

Meanwhile, Hickman's story is just jam-packed with information and subplots that I am eating it up with a spoon. So many things going on:

- the aforementioned Ben Grimm sequences including a chance to really see Johnny and him as the friends they really are and then the moving scene with Alicia.

- Val Richards proving she may just be the most interesting addition to the FF mythos since the Black Panther.

- The 4 cities coming back into play--damn they are interesting!

- Galactus and the Silver Surfer showing up and wanting some answers from Reed.

I love that Hickman very subtly references FF & Marvel history: the floating superhero poker game and Kristof being two excellent examples.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Who's going to die?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Today the finale of “Three” was released in which a member of the FF died—I’ve avoided spoilers and intend to keep doing so until I get to the CBS and buy the comic. I’m actually surprised no one has commented on it yet (please use spoilers). Meanwhile, I finally got around to reading the last issue, which continued to impress the hell out of me regarding the quality Hickman and Epting are bringing to the Fantastic Four.

Epting seems to really be clicking with Hickman and while absolutely maintaining his gorgeous style, he seems to be enhancing Hickman’s approach at restoring a level of grandeur to the FF that just booms on every page. Epting’s Galactus is magnificent, his underwater scenes are incredible and his sequences with Annhilus’ bug army were horrific. He really seems to be channeling Kirby in a sense (not style wise, but layout wise).

I enjoyed the Reed / Surfer / Galactus interaction and how epic and large scale it is. Reed works so well with the most grandiose characters—much more than regular people usually.

The Sue / Namor scenes were great, and I quite liked Namor’s revelation to Sue and how he handled it. It’s an intense plotline that is only a fraction of the story at this point.

And the powerless Ben / Johnny / kids scenes are also great with a lot going on. The kids being in danger is scary but there is a sense of fun to that story (I really love the group of kids Reed is teaching).

Any of the 4 could die it seems, rather than the obvious Death of Reed.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Spoiled it for myself...since I do not read the book regularly and do not plan on doing so anytume soon. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, and how long this death lasts.

Death for major Marvel and DC heroes is really kind of mind numbing at this point. I have to ask why? Why this character, why now? I just hope for the readers of this book, that the stories that come out of this are worth it.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Ever since "The Death Of Superman" (which itself was well done, as least the aftermath was), this sort of thing just doesn't have any meaning...
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Hickman actually lives in the town my LCS is in and uses it as well. I haven't met him and certainly haven't talked to him, but the guys at my lcs say he's a pretty decent guy, and very excited about the storyline.

I hope it works out well, but FF isn't a book I've ever read. And of the ones in it, Ben and Johnny would have been the ones I would want to read about.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Can someone spoil me as to who died? I won't be picking up my comics for a couple of weeks, probably.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

(If you do spoil, please put in spoiler box!)

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Click Here For A SpoilerI don't read it, but it's HUMAN TORCH who died. Yeah, like that will last.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Click Here For A SpoilerI don't read it, but it's HUMAN TORCH who died. Yeah, like that will last.

I guessed right!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmmm... interesting.

To be honest, I doubt that the death will be permanent. Everyone recovers from death eventually these days. Heck, in a year it will turn out that was a missing Skrull!

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.