Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Fantastic Four & FF (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Fantastic Four & FF
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Who are the stars of this book again?!? I read FF # 7 tonight, and it was the second issue in a row with our cast nowhere to be found. Don't get me wrong: I can see the purpose these stories serve in setting up the big storyline that's about to start, but I couldn't help but think that this story belonged in a separate mini or an oversized special. Hell, it could've been fit into a few pages of flashbacks, far as I'm concerned. Relevant or not, these issues felt like fill-ins, and worse, fill-ins with Reed, Sue, Ben, Franklin, et all no where in sight!

This ain't why I buy your books, Hickman--and it's part of why FF is leaving the Official Lardy Pull List and will now have to fight for its share of Lardy's hard-earneds!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I actually stopped reading FF with #6, the Black Bolt issue which also barely featured the cast. It's a good enough book but F4 is never a must buy for me and neglecting the cast lost me pretty quick. Kind of saddened to hear that the next issue pulls the same stunt, necessary plot set-up or not.

I do plan on jumping back on board with Fantastic Four #600 to see what the division of the titles will be like.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
The only reason I picked up FF was because of the Inhumans' appearance. (Big Inhumans fan here.) I though it strange that I never saw any of that large list of characters on Page One in the story itself.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
FF #9-- WAR OF FIVE CITIES isn't knocking it out of the park the way I want it to... it's focusing much more on that bizarre gathering of villains... entertaining, but not at all bringing together the various strands that have been spun since Hickman started writing.

It was great to see Black Bolt, Reed (or was that Nathanial?-- all the Reeds are confusing) and the word friendship in the same panel.

Gorgon, Karnak and Triton in the field-- glad to see Triton was the one who brought in a captive, rather than killing. Medusa, I'm beginning to think, is unhinged. She was getting that gleam of evil in her eye towards the end of her pre-Bolt's return reign. And now she's got that wooden, personality-emptied translator queen facade working. Her casual acceptance of her 'sister-wives' was... discomfort-inducing.

I couldn't help feel a little sorry for Crystal. Of course, they're products of an 'inhuman' culture, so that's misplaced pity.

I wonder if Crystal has been gathering husbands, like Black Bolt and his wives? Ronan, Johnny, Pietro, the real estate guy... (I don't count Sentry).

Anyway, the parts are great here-- Doom is Doom, even as he faces something I don't think he thought he'd ever face-- Valeria and Bently are fun... but the whole just doesn't quite pull together into what I wanted it to. Maybe that's just me.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I know some posters haven't been enjoying FF as much but I'm still loving it. Sure, we got two whole issues of just the Inhumans. Hickman is as indie as it gets and that's how they roll. I kind of enjoyed the risky story-telling strategy employed there.

With the latest, we're back on target as all the story elements are coming together. And wow, are there a lot! The Four Cities! The Council of Reeds (with the Mole Man!)! The Inhumans! The FF teamed with Dr. Doom, Diablo, The Mad Thinker, The Wizard, The High Evolutionary and AIM! Nathaniel Richards! Plus, the Thing, Sue and Val & Franklin have their own stuff going on. It's like an FF fans dream! 

Each character has a unique voice, which I love. More, each character has a motivation that is really grandiose, which fits the FF perfectly.

I'm still loving this series. IMO, it exceeds all FF runs besides Byrne and of course Jack (which cannot be surpassed really).

And that Epting artwork--just WOW. WOW.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
FF 11: Contains one of those jaw-dropping moments that I, anyway, read comics for. Not quite in the Thunderbolts-revealed-as-Masters-of-Evil or Runaways-are-the-children-of-super-villains class, but close.

If anyone says they saw what happens to two of the characters coming, they're big ol' liars. Who puts things in motion, and who (at least so far) passively condones it is almost as surprising, and possibly disturbing.

Barry Kitson makes a good pinch-hitter for Epting- I wish he could've been the one to pencil the Black Bolt issues.

I'm really looking forward to #12, now. If Hickman can avoid the inevitable anticlimax to this stunning revelation, it'll be one of the best stories I can remember.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't see what was so jaw-dropping about it. It wasn't spectacularly obvious, true, but they needed to be cleared off the game board and they're Evil Versions Of Our Hero and so doomed to a bad end. It's not like something happened to the "real" versions of the characters.

And Kitson's a BIG step down from Epting. Besides Epting's greater gift for nuance and shading, at least Epting's characters don't spend half their panel time staring straight at the "camera"!

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Well, it made my jaw drop. Epting is a great artist, true. I appreciate Kitson, as well. The big step down for me is to the one who illustrated the two issues featuring Black Bolt's return in which the FF barely appeared.

It seems like a long time since this book came out... the next installment is one I really want to read, apparently.

*That's* the sign of a comic book that's doing what it's supposed to... at least for me.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Wow. FANTASTIC FOUR #600 was worth the big price tag. Newsmaking plot point was *not* a cop out- but a story that made sense when told from both sides of the 'divide'.

Lots of fodder for upcoming stuff, too. Franklin and Leech... Ronan and Crystal... Black Bolt and Medusa...

Apparently, all will be recurring for the near future.

I dunno if it'd all make sense for readers who haven't been keeping track of Hickman's FF(s), but this was an anniversary issue that delivered on its promise, IMO.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

FF #12 would've benefitted if it'd been scheduled after FANTASTIC FOUR #601, IMO. I felt a big let down in not reading about more of the newsmaking character who returned in #600 (which more and more I'm thinking might be the issue of the year, for me- I can't fathom why noone else is commenting on it.)

Still, this odd assortment of kids (plus Dragon-Man) does make for an appealing cast. I, for one, am looking for this round of Doomcentrism to be over and done with, so the good ol' Doc can come up with another devious plan that can percolate for a few months.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Lots of fodder for upcoming stuff, too. Franklin and Leech... Ronan and Crystal... Black Bolt and Medusa...

I don't read Hickman's mainstream work anymore, so could you please elaborate (with a spoiler box if you feel it's necessary) on Ronan and Crystal? Thanks in advance.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Sorry, I missed the question. Are you up on the 'cosmic' events of the last couple of years, FL? I kind of think you are, or were as far as it mattered.

Their panel-time in the FF issues was pretty minimal, thus far. It appears the political marriage has begun to become a real one. Ronan's action since the Inhumans and Reeds, etc have converged on Earth could put that in jeopardy, as we've only seen Crystal's shocked initial reaction to said action.

Hickman mentioned the two Inhuman couples in an interview around the publication of the anniversay issue, as characters to be examined going forward. They haven't been mentioned in any solicits, since. Not that that means much.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Todd, I have been following the DnA cosmic stuff through its ups and downs, and was quite disappointed that the Annihilators ended up with a female Spaceknight instead of Crystal (having said that, the first mini was very good, though the second was not very good) If Crystal is possibly going to get panel time in future issues of Fantastic Four and/or FF then I'll at least wait for the trades. Thanks.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Crystal and Ronan have had a lot of panel time in recent issues with Crystal making a surprising (and welcome IMO) decision about her loyalties.

#600 saw the return of a character no one truly believed was dead. Or at least I never did so I'm not shocked or bothered by the bait and switch. The return has two things so far that stand out: the final page as drawn by Epting making him look more heroic than perhaps he's ever looked before; and the back-up story that was quite good showing where he's been all this time.

Meanwhile FF breaks off into it's own title. I'm glad as things were getting too crowded and complicated. Val has really emerged as a true star and it will be great to see her continue to shine! My one major complaint is I did not enjoy the artwork at all--it kind of took me out of the story.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Did I miss an issue? We see Ronan about to follow the Supreme Intelligence's directions to attack the Inhumans, with Crystal making a nominal (it seemed) objection- then nothing until a one-panel depiction of the Supreme Intelligence's big ol' head making sounds of retreat?

What happened to/with the Inhumans and the Kree armies was dealt with in other POVs, but not this particular one. Featuring the fifth FF member ever and one of the team's earliest enemies. Who are now married. We don't even know if Crystal ever knew that Johnny was supposed dead for awhile... does Johnny and co. even know about her marriage?

I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of follow-through, here. I don't expect or even particularly want a Crys/Johnny reunion, but they would *always* care about each other and be in each other's lives. Even if at a distance.

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.