Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel's X-verse (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Marvel's X-verse
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The second issue of the X-Men/Starjammer miniseries is out. Don't let the unwieldly title, which I'm not going to search out here, put you off.

I'm enjoying this mini more than the 12 issue storyline in the main X-title from which it sprang. Characters like Ch'od and Polaris are getting more focus, though panel-hogs like Vulcan and Rachel are along, too.

To be frank, future solicits are jacking my interest in the title up a bit. They promise that Lorna Dane'll be *leading* and then *fighting* (guess the leading didn't go too well, huh?) the Imperial Guard. The most recent issue's last page showed members of the IG including Gladiator, Oracle, Nightside, that manta girl, and the Colossal Boy and Wildfire analogs, among others. So, it's a more 'old school' IG than recent versions we've seen. Which is a good thing, IMO.

The plot hinges on a details going back to the first Phoenix saga. Whether the creators' reach exceeds their grasp will be shown in the concluding issues of this mini.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's called X-Men: Emperor Vulcan. An off putting title, indeed.

But I'm still reading this, because it's space opera written by someone who is NOT Ed Brubaker (author of that aforementioned abysmal 12-part space opera) and who IS good at writing space opera -- his name's Christopher Yost; the name rings a bell, but I don't think I've read anything by him before.

I hope he'll treat the Imperial Guard with more respect than Brubaker, but that wouldn't be a challenge at all, so I'll rephrase that and say I hope he treats the Imperial Guard with respect and I hope Nightside doesn't end up spending the whole series in the background.

[ October 19, 2007, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
his name's Christopher Yost; the name rings a bell, but I don't think I've read anything by him before.

He worked on the X-Men: Evolution cartoon and he's half of the New X-Men writing team with Craig Kyle. (They also wrote a couple of X-23 mini-series together, probably because they created the character.)

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Cali.

I've never seen X-Men: Evolution, because I'm not big on re-imagining the X-Men mythos (that's why I've neither seen the X-Men live-action movies nor read Ultimate X-Men.)

New X-Men intrigues me, but I hear that it's been mostly one death after another for a long time; did Kyle and Yost write any good stories before the killings started?

X-23 -- the concept is so...I can't even think of a word for it, but I'll browse through the trades or digests collecting those minis (I have heard some good things about them, which I admit surprised me.)

--------------------

Caliente

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
X-23 was created for the show as a way to tie Wolverine to the younger audience. I still don't quite know what I think of her as her entrance into the MU has been spotty. I haven't read either of her minis, though, so take that with a grain of salt. (I mean, before Kyle/Yost, the person writing her was Claremont. [Shudder] And the stuff with NYX was... weird.)

Let's see. Their New X-Men run actually started with the deaths. (Because losing their powers wasn't bad enough, right?) It seems to have plateaued recently but I suppose only time will truly tell. I didn't hate the last arc, which was the reintroduction of Magik. Didn't love it, either. Just sorta.. meh.

I understand where you're coming from with the reimagining thing-- I know a lot of people feel that way. That said, I personally loved X-Men: Evolution. It's actually a large part of what pushed me further into comics. The X-Movies... eh. They are what they are. Do love Ultimate X-Men, too, though.

--------------------

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Caliente:
before Kyle/Yost, the person writing her was Claremont. [Shudder]

[ROTFLMAO]

That sounds like it must have been so bad it was unintentionally funny.

--------------------

Caliente

If only, Stealth. If only... [No]

--------------------

Context... who needs it?

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
It's called X-Men: Emperor Vulcan. An off putting title, indeed.

Being an Imperial Guard fan ('cause they are Legion-esque), I skimmed over one of the earlier issues on the shelves and was turned off by Vulcan's demeanor and the portrayals of the Shi'ar.

He flies up to some Shi'ar ship, kills a few of them, and the rest grovel and beg, so he lets them continue to serve him, telling them that he's gonna use them to go take over their homeworld or some crap. They're all like, 'cool beans, just don't kill us!' and go right along with it.

I didn't have the stomach to read anymore of it, so for all I know it was some apalling psychotic wish-fulfillment dream he was having and it's actually a wonderful series.

This is Scott's what, fourth brother? Mommy Summers was a *machine* for pumping out mutants, each more powerful than the last! Her and momma Guthrie need to get together and compare stretch marks... No wonder the Marvel-verse was overwhelmed with mutants, they give birth to *litters!*

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente

I think it's just Scott's second brother. He's the legendary "3rd Summers Brother" that was supposed to be Adam X aka X-Treme, except that they were using X-Treme in the title of one of the X-Books, so that was tossed out.

--------------------

Context... who needs it?

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
Being an Imperial Guard fan ('cause they are Legion-esque), I skimmed over one of the earlier issues on the shelves and was turned off by Vulcan's demeanor and the portrayals of the Shi'ar.

He flies up to some Shi'ar ship, kills a few of them, and the rest grovel and beg, so he lets them continue to serve him, telling them that he's gonna use them to go take over their homeworld or some crap. They're all like, 'cool beans, just don't kill us!' and go right along with it.

I didn't have the stomach to read anymore of it, so for all I know it was some apalling psychotic wish-fulfillment dream he was having and it's actually a wonderful series.

I somehow made it through all 12 issues, so I must have a cast-iron stomach.

It wasn't a dream. And it wasn't a dream either that the Imperial Guard came out looking like weaklings with no sense of teamwork and cowardly fools who follow whoever's leading the Shi'ar this week.

When a talented writer like Ed Brubaker (I love his work on Captain America), is responsible for a travesty like that, it's clear that even good writers have their limitations.

--------------------

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
And it wasn't a dream either that the Imperial Guard came out looking like... cowardly fools who follow whoever's leading the Shi'ar this week.

Isn't that Absolutely Standard for IG appearances, going right back to their debut?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

[sigh] Yeah, it is, I just float in and out of denial. Brubaker had a chance to evolve the IG, and he blew it; now Yost has a chance, and while I don't expect them to evolve here, it would be a pleasant surprise if they did.

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Anybody get a parallel between the Shiar and the Israel/Palastine thing?

I have enjoyed the entire X-Men in space stuff that has been happening lately.

Is Gladiator just a joke these days? I wouldn't mind Havok and Polaris to stay in space. It suits them.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Mirrors me exactly Craig. I haven't cared for the X books in years, not counting the recent Whedon title. But there was a time that the X-Men was second only to the Legion (Titans running a distant third). And I jumped on during the Dark Phoenix story. Fell in love with Jean instantly only to see her killed. I think the first newsstand copy I bought was #136.

No way Scott!!! #136 was my first X-Men issue too!!! What an amazing coincidence! Sometimes I get the feeling we're like twins separated at birth, but with different parents and about a year apart in age! [LOL]

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Lad
No-so-special Guest Star

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I've never seen X-Men: Evolution, because I'm not big on re-imagining the X-Men mythos.

You're missing out. While it is nowhere near perfect, I'd say it ties with Grant Morrison's run as the closest anyone has ever gotten to "getting" the X-Men in the past decade or so. The story arc that ends their second season and begins the third one is one of my favorite X-Men stories ever.

Still, if mythos changes don't sparkle with you, then you may find the series irksome. Some characters have had their personality throughoutly changed (although I personally think the changes work), and several characters pop up in surprising roles.

[ November 19, 2007, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Ian Lad ]

From: San Juan, Puerto Rico | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.