Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel's X-verse (Page 23)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Marvel's X-verse
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
not much to report lately ... a lackluster month of X.

That is all.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Even the stellar Wolverine and the X-Men had an overwhelming tie in with the A vs. X as Colossus the evil phoenix Colossus ... took Kitty out on a date for the whole issue ... which culminated only in him being shocked by how corrupted he is. Also fill in artist was not quite as good as the two alternating regulars.

There was a Doop appearance. He shot guns.

btw, I used to like Warbird but then they made her the token naysayer of Northstar's wedding ... and now I hate her. She said she couldn't recognize the wedding so she couldn't attend.

well ... i mean even if she's not all for it, she can just go and be nice and sit in the audience ... her 'principles' are more important than her friends feelings?

anyhoo ... I thought it was ridiculous that an ALIEN ... who may or may not be hatched from an EGG!! felt so strongly about the validity of a male on male wedding!!!

(of course she dosnt recognize the validity, she's from another planet with all sorts of different laws!)

It was just dumb, and the writers poorly threw Warbird under the bus, just to have someone mimic a conversation in today's news.

Also, Ice Man mentioned something about "what would my grandma think"

.... aren't his parents notoriously bigoted against mutants and pretty japanese girls??? He should be over it, and for him to mention it was pretty grody and dosn't reflect a major part of his character growth over several decades.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
btw, I used to like Warbird but then they made her the token naysayer of Northstar's wedding ... and now I hate her. She said she couldn't recognize the wedding so she couldn't attend.

anyhoo ... I thought it was ridiculous that an ALIEN ... who may or may not be hatched from an EGG!! felt so strongly about the validity of a male on male wedding!!!

After reading W&XM #13... was it that she didn't recognise the man-marriage, or she didn't recognise MARRIAGE full-stop?

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
...her friends feelings?

She has friends?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

It was left a bit vague in the language, she said she didn't recognize the validity of the vows. I don't think it takes a large stretch of the imagination to see what Marvel was trying to do here.

Also, as I've said before, why would she recognize the vows? Its against the law to kill people in New York but clearly she has no problem doing that. She dosn't go around saying "I do not recognize your laws against killing people in this country. For me not to kill would be a lie!" The two page dramatization of her telling Jean Paul she's not going to his wedding in Astonishing X-Men #51 comes off as absurd.

Northstar called her a friend and teammate, he dosn't seem the type to call people friends casually. If anything, Wolverine and the X-Men #13's point was to show that she does have the capacity for friendship.

Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men # 13 was Aaron's attempt to rescue the character ... strategically planned right after Warbird was thrown under the bus in Astonishing X-Men #51 to merely play the devil's advocate. This faux debate amongst mutants and aliens seems ludicrous.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

MAJOR SPOILERS IN THE SPOILER BOX.

Click Here For A Spoilerhttp://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40958

Click Here For A SpoilerCyclops the Phoenix kills Professor X. Frakin Hell. Are they determined to kill every good character and have the Marvel U dominated by a bunch of nasshole thugs. now I know how fans of the Titans feel. And I don't think Professor X is an anachronism Mr. Bendis because his students have grown up, its because writers have turned them all into assholes. It is all the other characters that are anachronisms because so many have become villains .... It is not Professor X who is out of place. Its the whole bloody MARVEL UNIVERSE that is out of place. Not to mention that a literal death of professor X comes far after his metaphorical 'death' as a mentor. Its like beating a dead horse. and really blatantly dumb writing. dumb yes dumb. Kill an irrelevant character??? How can you make a martyr out of someone irrelevant Mr. Bendis?

I'm sad. [Frown]

[ September 12, 2012, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

and c'mon Click Here For A SpoilerProfessor X can't beat Cyclops when he has fought Phoenix and TELEPATH Jean Grey to a standstill. BLEH!!!!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Click Here For A SpoilerIt's made even worse by being so damned obvious. Cyclops killing Prof. X is like the #1 prediction everyone probably made at the start of the whole thing. We can all expect Cyke and Emma to die in #12 too at this rate.

The whole thing is really poorly done. It's so weakly written and telegraphed. Compared to the original Phoenix Saga, which was so cutting edge and well-crafted, this feels like a steaming pile of shit.

Plus, Professor X has died so many times already that it feels like a rip off. I don't expect for a minute he won't be back within 5 years.

FYI, #6 was my last issue, as it was just too bad to keep going.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I'm imagining a Fred Hembeck style What If issue where ... the Marvel bullpen is in chaos with people running around and shouting:

"September is coming!!! KILL EVERYONE!!! EVERYONE TURNS EVIL!!!! CHANGE THE LINE UP OF ALL THE TEAMS!! CHANGE THE NAMES OF THE TEAMS!!! BRING THEM BACK TO LIFE!!! WHAT THEY'RE NOT DEAD YET!!! MORE COSMIC POWER!!!"

and then a drawing out of a hat for who is on what team.

[Devil]

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
For the longest time, I really appreciated Cyclops for being the one holding it all together and staying the course, while Wolverine was tearing things down and going his own way.

Marvel seems to have spent the last decade doing everything in their power to reverse that impression, and only succeeded in making me dislike *everyone* involved...

From 'boyscout who is occasionally badass' to 'just another grimdark jerkwad.'

They've dirtied up Angel, they've dirtied up Professor X, they've dirtied up Cyclops, they've even managed to dirty up Colossus, of all people. This character arc has gone past old, to moribund, to dead, to resurrected, to still old.

Is it time for Iceman to go on a grimdark rampage, perhaps after his parents are murdered by anti-mutant extremists? (Or has that already happened and I missed it?)

On the other hand, snagging Havok away from PAD's X-Factor for this new Uncanny Avengers thing is agreeable to me. X-Factor was already pretty loaded, with a dozen main cast members, and I don't feel like Havok and Polaris were really necessary (Havok in particular).

Getting Rahne back from X-Force was a gift. Losing Havok to Uncanny Avengers will be icing on the cake, since I'm not loving him in X-Factor.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
When I heard about _____________ dying in the latest issue my first reaction was "I thought they were aready dead?"

Now that I've discovered that they were dead but came back a few years ago it makes this death seem even MORE cheap and meaningless, even by the already low standard of modern comic books.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I'm taking a leave of absence before they have Kitty Pryde behead small orphaned children.

Thanks for your comments guys ... I am actually really bummed by this new development. just by the craptacularness of it ... the shamelessness of carting out an irrelevant retired character for a big death! and that character didn't even get to go out in a big defining way IMO.

Click Here For A Spoilernot to mention that they had some out of order issues. about wether Professor X was on board against the phoenix or not. He joined the fight ... and then apparently they did a retroactive issue where he says "i cant fight my students" and then hes fighting them in the regular issues. weird. sloppy.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I can imagine the huge group of writers sitting around a table writing Avengers vs. X-Men or "A v X" or whatever the frack its called ...

Click Here For A Spoiler"dude, peace sucks ... let's kill Professor X. Yeah peace is lame! Let's martyr the old guy. Is he still alive. yeah, It'll be a big deal. Yeah ... "

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Set:

They've dirtied up Angel, they've dirtied up Professor X, they've dirtied up Cyclops, they've even managed to dirty up Colossus, of all people. This character arc has gone past old, to moribund, to dead, to resurrected, to still old.

It gets better ... Colossus will be in the new title Cable and the X-Force. haha.

Alongside Forge (Isn't he dead and/or a villain) Cable (see Forge comment) Domino and a strange looking Dr. Nemesis.

GUNS GUNS GUNS!

anyway, I just dropped Uncanny X-Force because it was spiraling and I found it repetative and seemed to just be jumping across some of the popular stories that had been told already.

And the violence and drama was just ... so much .. that it was ineffective actually to shock. I was asking "Didn't they do this already? Didn't this person die and come back already?" And the series is only on issue 31, 32 ...

You know something's gone wrong when a fan like me ... follows a series for 30 issues and drops it right before the final two series concluding issues!!!
[LOL]

Anyway, back to Colossus ... I am reminded of an article (or maybe just my own thoughts? hard to remember.) that was talking about characters being changed so much they no longer made sense ... they've lost their purpose and what made them interesting. (also seems to apply strongly to the DC Reboots)

Colossus is a gentle giant, because he's so strong he's afraid he could hurt someone, because he's protective, an artist ... etc!

Now he's just another butt kicking strong guy.

remember when he used to train and train in acrobatics so he wouldn't just be another strong guy?!

Anyway "Cable and the X-Force" is drawn by Larroca ... who is good and while I like all the characters ... I'm afraid I've been burned too many times by Marvel throwing a new product at me.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Colossus has totally lost his way. Marvel honestly has not used him effectively since Fatal Attractions.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Colossus is one of my favorite X-Men, if not my favorite (Nightcrawler is the other that vies for that honor,) and I thought he should have stayed dead.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.