Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Secret Society of Super-Villains: A Look Back (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Secret Society of Super-Villains: A Look Back
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I read SSoSV # 1... AND THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT!! It holds up 100%.

This may be the only Gerry Conway comic I ever really loved. (I ended up just flipping through most of the Firestorm trade)

Lots of Roazakis-y goodness in this volume too, I'm so glad to have this. [Smile]

I'm now 7 issues in, and this title holds up SO WELL.

This comic does NOT stand still. There is NO status quo.

Members come and go like mad, and the fights are non-stop... and you never know who will show up next.

I can absolutely see why I loved this book as a kid and why I still do.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Captain Comet is pretty frickin awesome too !!!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

The good Captain comes off very well in this book!

Favorite scenes so far off the top of my head:

GRODD betrays COPPERHEAD

CAPTAIN COMET fooled- at first- by the SSOSV

MIRROR MASTER and CAPT. BOOMERANG get a free lunch

VILLAINS vs. MANTIS

SINESTRO and THE WIZARD called out after the big battle for not helping.

STAR SAPPHIRE and MANHUNTER retreat; Manhunter goes to gather the remaining members of the SSOSV but Star Sapphire instead chooses to find a super-hero to fight Darkseid (she's crafty)!

The slugfest deluxe between GRODD and KALIBAK

FUNKY FLASHMAN makes the scene

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Secret Society of Super-Villains #1: A Retro Review!

THE PLOT

A mysterious benefactor assembles Sinestro, Captain Boomerang, The Wizard (from Earth-2), Mirror Master, Captain Cold, Gorilla Grodd, The Shadow Thief, Copperhead, and Star Sapphire in order to form a "Secret Society of Super-Villains", an anti-JLA under the direction of an evil Manhunter clone. The team's first mission, in which Grodd and Copperhead attempt to steal a plutonium globe, goes awry.

THE GOOD OLD-FASHIONED SUPER-VILLAINS DEPT.

There's something bizarrely loveable about the fact that the super-villains use non-fatal force against police who are shooting at them with real guns and stuff. The contrast with the modern trend of villains who regularly rip limbs off the good guys could not be greater.

THE FAST-PACED ACTION DEPT.

This is a beautifully-paced comic, in which we get the villain team set-up and even witness their first mission in this issue.

IRONY DEPT/

Poor Copperhead, who seems the most excited about joining the villain team, ends up the first to fall!

INTRIGUING MINOR CHARACTER DEPT.

Copperhead totally underestimates the "creepy old man" in the secret govt. lab!

ARCHITECTURE 101 DEPT.

I absolutely love it when comics give blueprints of HQs, in the case the "Citadel Sinister", the San Francisco skyscraper the SSOSV make their home!

SUMMARY

This comic is definitely loads of fun, and I can't wait to read the rest of SSOSV, Vol. 1!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I AM SOOOOO HAPPY YOU GOT THIS ERYK!!!!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

VOLUME 2 DROPS NEXT WEEK!!!! I am so there, I already left!

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/secret-society-of-super-villains-vol-2

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

HEY!!!! Did EDE ever finish reading it?!?!

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Jeepers! Did I? I don't remember reading the rest of it.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

*blank stare*

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

I must have gotten distracted. Perhaps by accursed shiny stuff. Er... reading and more reviews to come soon!
Eryk Davis Ester

Secret Society of Super-Villains #2: A Retro-Review

THE PLOT

Captain Comet returns to Earth after twenty years! Stumbling on what he believes is the evil Green Lantern attacking poor helpless Gorilla Grodd and Hi-Jack, he saves them! And they invite him to join their Society, planning to use him as a dupe against the JLA. Meanwhile, the Manhunter-clone leading the group turns out to be not-so-evil, and decides to try to lead the Society against the true mastermind of the organization, Darkseid!

SUPER-HEROES AND STYLE DEPT.

Captain Comet is shocked to discover that the men of the 70s don't wear hats anymore!

SUCH IS THE WAY OF MANTIS DEPT.

Apparently, he likes to show up and leave abruptly!

THE TRUE FACE OF EVIL DEPT.

Manhunter takes the Society to a hidden retreat to prove to them how truly evil Darkseid is! Only, it kind of looks to me like it's not much different than the average mad scientist lab, which these guys should be pretty used to. Sure, he's growing weird humanoids in test tubes, but that doesn't really distinguish him from, say, Luthor.

THE EVER-CHANGING MEMBERSHIP DEPT.

Okay, so Copperhead was out last issue, but what the heck happened to the Wizard? Hi-Jack is pretty boring as a replacement.

SUMMARY

A lot of space was taken up with the reintro of Captain Comet, but still quite a bit happened in this issue! The villains using him a dupe sure seemed like it was going to last longer, however! Man does this comic move!

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH's back:
VOLUME 2 DROPS NEXT WEEK!!!! I am so there, I already left!

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/secret-society-of-super-villains-vol-2

hey just got an email from the company that this volume 2 is being cancelled....?

I am miffed mad! [Mad]

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

WHAT!!?!! I AM SO ENRAGED I CANNOT READ EDE'S REVIEW OF # 2 YET AND HAD TO SCROLL PAST IT.

I SHALL WAIT UNTIL I VENTURE TO THE CBS WEDS. (I already have the extra cash set aside for this) BEFORE I TOTES BLOW A GASKET.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

OK, so I calmed down enough to read it... how could I not, I love EDE's reviews!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Secret Society of Super-Villains #2:

Man does this comic move!

Child... you ain't seen nothin' yet!

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Secret Society of Super-Villains #3: A Retro Review

THE PLOT

This story is mostly the SSOSV vs. Mantis. Mantis takes down half the team, with Manhunter and Star Sapphire escaping, and Manhunter runs to recruit more villains, SS flies off to recruit some super-heroes to battle Darkseid.

HOLY INFLATION, BATMAN! DEPT.

A combo at fast food joint Burgie cost only $3.02 at the time of this story. Of course, Mirror Master and Captain Boomerang steal it.

SILLY POLICEMEN DEPT.

So, a couple of issues back Copperhead escaped from jail using a new version of his super-suit smuggled in to him by one of his lackies. And, apparently, they let him wear it back to jail. Fortunately, before he can use it again to exploit the lax security, someone else breaks him out!

GROOVY RETROFUTURISM DEPT.

One thing I'm loving about this series is the flyers that the villains travel in with the groovy bubble-cockpits. It totally screams Super Powers vehicles to the eight year old in me.

WEIRD FLYING STANCE DEPT.

Characters in this series have a habit of flying with massively arched backs, which looks really uncomfortable.

YOU CAN'T TRUST A VILLAIN DEPT.

The Wizard and Sinestro, neither natives of Earth-1, consider betraying their comrades!

IRONY DEPT.

Mantis tells Captain Cold early on in the issue "Your cold gun is next to nothing..."

Later, he slips and falls on the ice created by it, which hastens his defeat!

SUMMARY

I'm digging it!

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.