Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Secret Society of Super-Villains: A Look Back (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Secret Society of Super-Villains: A Look Back
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I knew you would dig it, it's very 70s diggable!

Sbmdjr, the DC COMICS link still lists VOL 2 for tomorrow, so I intend to hit the CBS when it opens at 10am, with fingers crossed.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Secret Society of Super-Villains #4

THE PLOT

Tons more fighting!

ANNOYING VILLAIN BANTER DEPT.

Hi-Jack's card metaphors are getting really annoying!

THE EVER-CHANGING LINEUP DEPT.

So the Wizard and Sinestro totally ditch the SSOSV!

MAMA MIA! DEPT.

Random Italian chef guy is pretty surprised to see a nearly naked hairy man running through the streets of San Francisco wrestling a gorilla!

SUCH IS THE WAY OF MANTIS DEPT.

He absorbs Green Lantern's power and then tries to use it against Darkseid! Not too bright!

EXCELSIOR! DEPT.

Funky Flashman makes the scene, man!

SUMMARY

Another fast-paced, exciting, action-packed issue!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

You aren't the only one annoyed by Hi-Jack, as will be evidenced shortly [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

VOL 2 is in my hot hands RIGHT NOW! And I'm gonna READ it-- I'm gonna READ IT like it's NEVER been READ BEFORE!!!

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Secret Society of Super-Villains #5

THE PLOT

It's the SSOSV vs Darkseid and Mantis, to the death!

Meanwhile, Funky Flashman offers his services as super-villain PR to Sinestro and the Wizard!

Also, meanwhile, Captain Comet visits the Justice League and makes it his mission to stop the SSOSV!

PATHETIC VILLAIN DEPT.

Poor Mantis is pretty much quashed by a trio of Flash Rogues!

ANNOYING VILLAIN BANTER DEPT.

The Rogues even tell Mantis to "knock off the pompous dialogue"!

THE EVER-CHANGING LINEUP DEPT.

Manhunter sacrifices himself to destroy Darkseid!

THE BORED VILLAIN DEPT.

Poor Black Racer just flies around on his little skis waiting for Darkseid to tell him he can touch someone. I think he's supposed to seem menacing, but the whole African-American yuppie vibe just doesn't do it for me.

BAD PR DEPT.

Apparently, Sinestro doesn't think he needs a PR Agent!

CALL IN THE CITY INSPECTOR DEPT.

Well, it's probably a good thing that Captain Comet prevents the Sinester Citadel from falling over, but I betting the thing will need quite a bit more repairs before I'd trust using it as a super-villain headquarters!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Manhunter's sacrifice was a big shock! And from here, the tone of SSoSV had its first of 2 major shifts in its short run...

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

The Secret Society of Super-Villains #6

The Plot

Captains Boomerang and Cold team up with Captain Stingaree! Meanwhile, a mysterious figure takes control of the SSOSV!

Holy Richard Branson!

There's a lot of private space flight going on in this issue, from Captain Boomerang's Space-Boomerang to the JLA Satellite.

The Intriguing Minor Character Dept.

Astronaut Captain James Carone puts up a good fight before being kidnapped by the bad guys. I suspect he'll do well if he's ever exposed to space-radiation and develops super-powers and stuff!

In Space, No One Can Hear You Crash Through the Side of a Spaceship

But I'm assuming there's a good explanation as to how Captain Comet does so without killing everybody on board?

Earth Girls Are Easy!, or Debbie does Captain Comet!

Jeepers! CC totally gets picked up by this chick named Debbie, who invites him in for sex a cup of coffee!

Missed Career Opportunities! Dept.

Man, that Captain Cold sure is good at making ice sculptures!

The Ever-Changing Line-Up Dept.

Oddly enough, the Wizard, despite having theoretically ditches the team a couple of issues back, appears to be de factor the only active member at the moment, if you count hanging out in the Sinaster Citadel with Funky Flashman as being "active". The Captains are all captured. But, hey, Copperhead returns with the mysterious new leader!

Summary

I particularly dug this issue!

the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

Earth Girls Are Easy!, or Debbie does Captain Comet!

Jeepers! CC totally gets picked up by this chick named Debbie, who invites him in for sex a cup of coffee!

This is one of those cases where the caption narration totally steals the show:

"Debbie": "Well, Adam, how's about coming up to my place for some coffee...and the bite of an apple?"

Caption: And while Adam Blake has his lunch, let's switch to the Pacific Ocean...

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Secret Society of Super-Villains #7

THE PLOT

Lex Luthor takes over the Society, recruits Felix Faust and Matter Master and sends them along with the Wizard to take down Superman! Only it's not really Superman but Gregory Reed, the actor who plays Superman on TV and in the movies!

GROOVY 70S FASHION

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Luthor's 70s outfit?

HOLY TOUPEE!

Funky reveals that both his hair and beard are fake!

THE INTRIGUING MINOR CHARACTER DEPT.

I'm shocked Gregory Reed, whom regularly readers of Action Comics should be familiar with, never had his own series!

THE REAL MEN KNOW HOW TO COOK DEPT.

Hawkman spends the entire issue cooking Thanagarian goulash while Hawkgirl and Captain Comet take down the bad guys!

I'LL EAT MY HAT DEPT.

Hawkgirl stuffs Matter Master's hat into Felix Faust's mouth!

RANDOM CAPTAIN COMET POWERS DEPT.

So, apparently, he can change ice into snow with his mind! ?????

EVER CHANGING LINEUP DEPT.

Luthor's control of the team is decidedly temporary, as Funky calls the cops on him when he leaves the Sinister Citadel!

SUMMARY

Another fun issue!

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I always loved Funky selling out Luthor to the cops... no honor among thieves!

--------------------

the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
Just got vol. 2 in hardcover. I haven't read it yet, but was pleased to find it had the missing stories that should have been in vol. 1 (from Super-Team Family), as well as the black and white Cancelled Comics Cavalcade story and the annual JLA/JSA team-up that wrapped up the SSoSV plotlines (at least I think it did. I'll have to read it to be sure).

One odd thing: the table of contents lists both issues of ST Family as #13. Between things like that and the fact that to read the stories in the correct order I'll be switching back and forth between the two volumes makes me wonder if anyone is actually editing these things. Still, I'm glad to finally have the whole series and am looking forward to reading it.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Yeah I was VERY surprised to see Vol 2 contained those Super-Team Family stories when Vol 1 didn't, and they are indeed out of order. I just kinda went with it. I'm actually glad to be back into the SSoSV series proper stories now...

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Oh and the Captain Comet/Dinosaurs story was all new to me!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

WOW... after 30-plus years, I finally got to read SSoSV # 16 last night!!

It continues the SSoSV war with the JSA on Earth 2 from # 15 -PLUS- started the splinter-SSoSV war with the Freedom Fighters that was tantalized in those final pages of issue 15 way back in the late 70s. All in all, VERY good stuff!

BONUS-- SSoSV issue 17 is also included! Unlike 16, which is just a finished issue in black and white, issue 17 appears to be pencils only- no inks (and no cover), but it IS lettered so I am looking forward to reading it also!

The reason reading these excites me SO much, is that both SSoSV and FREEDOM FIGHTERS were both big childhood favorites, and the final issue of FREEDOM FIGHTERS (also number 15) that came a bit before SSoSV promised that the tale of the FF would continue in SSoSV-- and I never got to see that, until now!

Bob Rozakis returned to writing SSoSV with issue 16 apparently, which made the story all the better for me.

ALso, I snuck a peek ahead at the JLA stories being reprinted... Dick Dillin's art is SO great, especially on the fancy papaer!!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Oh, cruel fate!! SSoSV # 17 ends-- with a terriffic cliffhanger!! *facepalm* But it was wonderful to FINALLY read (most of) the stories DC promised me 30-plus years ago before the Implosion.

SSoSV 17 would have been the first 'DC Explosion' oversize issue, and we do NOT get the Star Sapphire origin story which is promised in the # 16 cover blurb, just the 17-page main story. I would assume the title was cancelled before the Star Sapphire origin was drawn.

Of note-- the SSoSV Volume 2 hardback is MUCH thicker than the Volume 1 hardback.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.