Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Secret Society of Super-Villains: A Look Back (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Secret Society of Super-Villains: A Look Back
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
Here is a list of the stories in the two volumes of Secret Society of Super Villains in the order they were actually published (as opposed to the order they appear in the TPBs). The stories make a lot more sense if you read them in this order.

SSoSV # 1-4 (all in vol. 1)
DC Special # 27 (in vol. 2)
SSoSV # 5-9 (back to vol. 1)
Super-Team Family # 13 (vol. 2)
SSoSV # 10 (vol. 1)
SSoSV Special (vol. 2)
Super-Team Family # 14 (vol. 2)
SSoSV # 11-15 (vol. 2)
Cancelled Comic Cavalcade # 2 (vol. 2)
Justice League of America # 166-168 (vol. 2)

Presented as a public service by the hermit. Accolades, kudos and especially donations gratefully accepted.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
I wanted to thank you for this thread, and the checklist in particular. Oddly enough, I have most of these issues in their original printing (not sure why, but there it is).

While doing some research into this at the GCD (and, good God, the cover images they have posted there are ABOMINABLY bad-- on top of the already-AWFUL cover designs in the first place), I decided to also look into DC SPECIAL SERIES.

I'm surprised at how many of these things I have. This includes 2 of the 4 SWAMP THING reprints (the 3rd & 4th-- sadly, not the first 2). Also, the SUPERMAN (with Luthor & Brainiac), the BATMAN (Mike Nasser, Mike Golden and Marshall Rogers, all in one book!), the WONDER WOMAN (not 100% sure on this one, but it looks so familiar, there's a good chance I have it), SECRET ORIGINS (again, not 100% sure, but there's a good chance I went after this because of the Fourth World connection-- which, come to think of it, may be why I went looking for the SSoSV issues, as well).

These oversized items were rather attractive, especially if one wasn't buying a lot of DCs but wanted to check things out, lots of pages in a single book. But boy, talk about chaotic, as far as indexing goes. Looking at the cover gallery, I'm reminded of Dell's FOUR COLOR, or Magazine Enterprises' A-1, 2 more instances of an overall "series" where each issue had completely different contents.

It seems to me the 64-page format might have suited Jack Kirby quite well. I've read it was briefly considered for his "Fourth World" series, putting out every 2 months with all 3 series in every issue. Might have been a lot easier to collect and read that way...

But back on SSoSV... MY GOD, what a chaotic series this thing was! Just on the writers alone, it had Conway, Kraft, Rozakis, Conway again, then Rozakis again. Pencillers: Marcos, Chan, Buckler, Ayers, Jones & Vosburg. What a mess!

[ December 06, 2012, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: profh0011 ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
I think "roller coaster ride" is the more appropriate term (and I actually mean that in a good way. This series was one surprise twist after another).

By the way, I think this may have been Mike Vosburg's first published work, or at least his first series for DC. Anyone know for sure?

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with "roller coaster ride". The fact that the cast consisted of villains lent the series to a certain instability, which was reflected (intentionally or otherwise) by changes in the creative team.

One would expect the JLA, the Legion, or the Titans to have a stable lineup, clear sense of purpose, and storylines which build logically from previous ones. Not so for a team of villains who are in it for themselves.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
the Hermit:
"By the way, I think this may have been Mike Vosburg's first published work, or at least his first series for DC. Anyone know for sure?"

As it happens, I had a Mike Vosburg list put together awhile back.

The earliest work of his I have listed is:

THE DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU: Master of Kung Fu
#4 / Sep'74 -- Circle Of Serpent's Blood
SP#1 / Sep'74 -- The Master Plan of Fu Manchu (part 3)
#6 / Nov'74 -- Lesson of the Locust
#7 / Dec'74 -- The Past-Assasin!
#8 / Jan'75 -- A Hatred For All Seasons
#9 / Feb'75 -- A Contest Of Truth
#11 / Apr'75 -- A Different Lesson In Blood Unchained

1ST ISSUE SPECIAL #13 / Apr'76: RETURN OF THE NEW GODS
"Lest Night Fall-- Forever!"
A Sectret Unveiled!
Confrontation!

Then I have the 5 issues of SSoSV listed (#11-15).

profh0011
Applicant

Just to make it easy for those reading this thread, here's my "cover restorations" (so far)...

AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS #11
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-S1Pn_r8n6UE/ULi1S55J-xI/AAAAAAAAGzc/JsssR2g32yw/s1600/AWoDCC+11_cc_ABlogODCC_HK.jpg

SSoSV #1
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4mqGtW3E46Y/UKmpI2OUv0I/AAAAAAAAGdA/bRJei-RZCR0/s1600/SSoSV+01_cc_HK.jpg

SSoSV #2
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HZDhZHxwb2Y/UK7lrP_2WDI/AAAAAAAAGrE/20omEIyv5h0/s1600/SSoSV+02_cc_HK.jpg

SSoSV #2 / Fantasy version
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BJIUHp3biUg/ULpoEQOuIqI/AAAAAAAAG10/I6H6m2uJH8A/s1600/SSoSV+02_cd_HK.jpg

SSoSV #3
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kRPPAPv0bFI/ULPP6_lONyI/AAAAAAAAGyQ/7g66ssQ4zDQ/s1600/SSoSV+03_cc_HK.jpg

SSoSV #4
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-C97DlshbnvE/UL-4VLcYB2I/AAAAAAAAG-U/7Ua8WQKmAng/s1600/SSoSV+04_cc_HK.jpg

DC SPECIAL #27
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vausGnQ9Evc/UMDr7kVm7MI/AAAAAAAAHB4/PUOcs2n2Z-o/s1600/DCSpec+27_cc_HA_HK.jpg

[ December 06, 2012, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: profh0011 ]

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.