Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random Review Corner (Page 12)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Random Review Corner
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Starting in 1996, DC had released an Elseworlds one-shot entitled "Superman's Metropolis", an intriguing melding of the Superman mythos with the silent film "Metropolis". Written by Jean-Marc & Randy Lofficier and Roy Thomas, and illustrated by Ted McKeever, the story was followed by a sequel in 1999, "Batman: Nosferatu", which melded Batman with the likes of "Nosferatu" and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Roy Thomas did not help with this one. Finally, the series was finished with a third one-shot in 2003, "Wonder Woman: The Blue Amazon", which melded the Wonder Woman mythos with the likes of "The Blue Angel" and "Dr. Mabuse". Although the Lofficiers intended to create a FOURTH one-shot.

The first of this series that I read was Blue Amazon in early 2006, the second was Metropolis, which I received as a Christmas gift in 2006, and Nosferatu, which I got in 2008.

The storyline is set in the city aptly named Metropolis, and it's the only city, or so it appears. It's origins have been time lost.

Since Blue Amazon was the first one I read, I want to review it, but I'll try not to divulge too much of what goes on, as it would spoil the first two. However, Blue Amazon was alluded to in Nosferatu by way of the appearance of Dr. Psykho's Palace of Sin, and a poster for "Diana as the Blue Amazon".

In this story, Wonder Woman is recast as Diana, a singer whose stage name is, aptly, the Blue Amazon. She works as a performer at the Palace of Sin, a seedy place run by Dr. Psykho. She is highly sought after by the men who attend her performances, but there are times when her songs are so soul shattering that some leave, shaken by her voice. Of course, Steve Trevor-Son chooses to listen to her with his eyes closed, although he does regard her beauty. Whereas Steve is an army official in regular continuity, here he's an architect whom is helping Lois, the wife of the Super-Man, learn about Metropolis' origins. Steve is captivated by Diana, and she returns the sentiment by how he doesn't lust after her like the others.

Make note, though, that Diana is not a cold and empty beauty as the name "Blue Amazon" would imply. The blue pertains to a sense of sadness, as Diana is an amnesiac and must deal with being "owned" by Dr. Psykho. As Metropolis' origins are a mystery, so are Diana's, and not even Dr. Psykho knows what they are. That doesn't mean he doesn't try though. To make matters worse, he makes some money after hours letting Diana be degraded via a whip. When Steve walks in on this, he blends into the crowd of men watching the torture, but stays to help Diana.

Now, the problem with this book is that it might be considered shorter than the other two, and Diana doesn't really receive that much exposure as the Wonder Woman after she fully awakens. She mainly plays the role of the enigmatic beauty, the singer, the blue angel seeking out her memories under the control of the disgusting Psykho. One could applaud her continuing resistance against Psykho's attempts to enter her mind, although this could probably be more attributed to the fact that she's an amnesiac. However, one can also consider in that, when Psykho attempts to kill Steve, the only person who showed her kindness and respect, it can be seen as a play on the legendary love that Wonder Woman is said to have.

We are also treated to the mysterious Cheetah, who is searching for Diana, but where did she come from? And why does she want Diana? Here, the Cheetah is more ghastly than her normal appearance.

The story deals with the secrets of the past, Metropolis' past, Diana's past, and the mystery of "The Time of Smoke and Soot". It also makes use of both the first and second book, specifically the Super-Man and the Nosferatu, although while this is spoiling a bit, the Nosferatu gets more fighting action than the Super-Man.

In terms of the art, Ted McKeever's style has changed since Nosferatu, as it did from Metropolis. The entire story is colored in a red tint, as Nosferatu was colored in grey, and Metropolis in a gold. There is one metaphor that could apply. Metropolis is the day, Nosferatu the night, and the Blue Amazon is sunset, or even dawn, but the tint is removed by the end. When Diana is first introduced in the Palace of Sin, she is colored entirely in a blue tint. On the cover, Diana is depicted in a costume that is a bit similar to a cross between her regular outfit and the leather she wore during the Artemis days. But in the story itself she simply wears a black bodysuit with a yellow "W". McKeever's lines can be considered a bit ugly at times, but he excels at portraying truly horrific villains and monsters, the Cheetah and Dr. Psykho are examples. One can also remember that since this is based on a German expressionist film, of course the art would look strange.

I applaud the twist used in revealing just where Metropolis is, but wish we would have had more exposure of Diana as Wonder Woman.

I'd have to give it a 4 out of 5.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So as a former graduate student with a focus in Roman History and a genuine love for it, I picked up Caligula #1 by Avatar. I fully expected it to be over the top violent and sexual, since I've seen the 70's movie, know full well Caligula's history and realize almost every Avatar comic has sex & violence. But you know, I was totally taken aback by just how much sex & violence there was--specifically, how much rape there was. It was basically non-stop.

I'm actually sure it's a pretty accurate depiction of life during Caligula's reign as Augustus. But you know, its just not what I want to read about in comics. I put it down and felt a sick to my stomach feeling I haven't felt since I was like 13 and reading my father's adult comics that I was supposed to.

Definitely a disappointment. I'd love for an ongoing series set in Roman times that doesn't focus on (A) Ceaser or (B) Caligula or Nero.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also picked up Infinite Vacation by Image because of how freaking impressive writer Nick Spencer has been on everything he touches (see: Morning Glories, Thunder AGENTS, etc.). After issue #1, I can see this might be the most complex of all his stories and that is saying something! Spencer, like Jonathan Hickman, is not afraid to revel in the complexities and mysteries of his series which is what makes them so exciting. Here, we have the most off-beat thus far in what amounts to a really original premise for a story.

The lead character seems addicted to the 'Infinite Vacation', where you can purchase the ability to change your life to an alternate reality where a decision or moment of your life worked out differently. The implications of such an idea seem endless and Spencer gives us a huge dose of that possibility with #1.

For example, the lead character is Mark, and throughout the issue you meet numerous other Marks from other realities. Many of these, you don't realize at first its actually another Mark until its revealed to you. Mark sees a psychiatrist, who happens to be a Mark from another reality. When Mark questions some of the things happening to alternate Marks, the people who run the Infinite Vacation make sure he speaks to a customer service rep who is also a Mark from another reality since Mark knows how best to deal with Mark. Confused? You bet! But yet, in an awesome way.

Christian Ward does a great job on art, where he provides a pretty consistent, structured style in places and yet at points his art evolves into an almost hallucinogenic feel, which underscores the weirdness of alternate realities. It really works with the plot.

I'll admit--I only half understand whats happening...but I really want to know more!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
^CBR gave Infinite Vacation #1 a 4.5 out of 5 star review!
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I just got to Infinite Vacation #1 (second printing) in my ever-growing stack on Tuesday, myself. Another Nick Spencer smash hit, says Lardy! It felt utterly fascinating and original.

I also totally dug the sometimes psychedelic art! Ward's art is reminiscent of what Duncan Fegredo did in the 90's on titles like Enigma with Peter Milligan for Vertigo.

I have no idea where the story's going, except that it may turn out to be a multi-dimensional murder mystery? Maybe? In any case I'm onboard for the ride!

P.S. There's a gorgeous purple-haired chick in it who I'm kinda-sorta in love with at the moment! [Smile]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
JLA: A League of One

Hardcover graphic novel released in November 2000.

Story and painted art by Christopher Moeller.

Plot:

Wonder Woman learns of an ancient prophecy that foretells that the members of the Justice League will be killed in a battle with an ancient female dragon named Drakful Karkang. She secretly plots to take out all the members of the League so they won't be available to fight the dragon. She fights the dragon alone , in the name of the Justice League - as a League of one - in an effort to save the world, by defeating the dragon while sacrificing herself to save her team mates.

Art: A+

Beautifully painted and colored. The story contains fantasy elements that include the dragon queen, a race of gnomes who discover her, a young wood nymph and a young sea nymph who are childhood friends of Diana's. This book contains some of the most unforgettable fantasy images that DC has ever produced. There is a wonderful sequence in which the sea nymph transforms Diana into a mermaid.

The story takes place during the League's watchtower era. The sequences on the moon and in the watchtower are grand.

Wonder Woman battles Batman and Flash along the Amazon River while they are engaged in a battle with Poison Ivy. Gorgeous. The battle with Superman is spread out over seven breathtaking pages.

Story: B+

The fantasy elements are wonderful. Diana's determination is inspiring. Wonder Woman and Batman matching wits is gripping.
The conclusion is suspenseful, but leaves some unanswered questions.

Recommendation:

Well worth the money if you can find it. This is a model for how original graphic novels should be done.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
It probably says a lot that I couldn't find a thread on LW for Fear Itself. Most of us are fed up with crossovers and LW has always been more DC centric. Much like Flashpoint, I've bought the first few issues of each crossover to see if my fears of them being bad would come true out of curiosity.

For Fear Itself, I think it's been a pretty weak product. Overall, the story seems pretty run of the mill, and the sense of dread and epic-ness of the threat is being told to us, rather than shown to us. Fraction's writing has never been my favorite and that continues here.

But in #3 what really did it for me was
Click Here For A Spoilerthe death of Bucky. I have no idea if that is going to stick or not, since I don't believe things anymore. But I have to say, this is one of the worst deaths in years--and that's saying something! Not in the way it was done but just how pointless and un-dramatic it is. I'd rank it along Hawkeye's mindless death in Avengers Dissassembled. It really just felt lame

I think I'm done with #3 and won't continue on. Not sure how Marvel could have ever greenlit this since its just so run of the mill.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
agreed!

I was also displeased and fairly confused by Fear Itself #3. I wrote in the All Avengers thread a long and somewhat snarky review.

I compared Fear Itself #2 to Power Rangers.

Immonen's art is dragging me through the dirt. by that i mean i'm forced to read this story because his art is so great.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't want to post four times in a row in the Spirit thread so I'll just make mention here that artist John Paul Leon--who I had never heard of before--did an outstanding job on yhe latest issue. He's definitely in the mold of one of my favorites Marcos Martin with a hint of Darwyn Cooke influence.

The Spirit as written by David Hine continues to be utterly excellent.

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Showcase Presents: Bat Lash

I've read the first two stories in this nice handy little collection. First off, let me say that I have always been interested in this collection since I found out that Nick Cardy drew the majority of it. It does not disappoint in the art department either for Showcase #76 and Bat Lash #1.

Showcase #76 - Our introduction to Bat Lash. Will he save the West - or ruin it? Well, if this story is any indication, he's gonna save it from itself. Westerns can be a mixed bag...hard to get the right balance of humor, action and romance. This book seems to do it all effortlessly. Sergio Aragones plots this story and Denny O'Neil scripts it. It's a pretty straightforward tale of a man moving through the waest looking for love (or at least a woman to have fun with), food, and some peace and quiet.

The man who loves peace and is willing to fight/kill for it gets a little overdone between this and the next book, but it's not too distracting. There is a nice little twist at the end that I honestly did not see coming with the reveal of the 'main' villain of the story.

Bat Lash #1 was another great straightforward tale of Bat Lash moving through the west breaking hearts and getting into trouble. Things are set right by the end, and Lash is off for his next adventure.

Now, I cannot say enough about the art in these stories. This is one collection that does well in black and white. (I think only Kubert's work is more fitting of the format, at least for the DC showcase series.)

Overall, I am liking the book a lot more than I thought I would, and I figured that OI would at least enjoy it for the art if nothing else...thankfully, the stories are surprisingly fresh and fun.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
More reviews as I read through the book, although I do not want to spoil these stories for anyone that may be tempted to grab this off your local stores shelf...Needless to say, I will continue to talk about them as I go.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Next month DC Comics will be launching an all new Batgirl #1, with Barbara Gordon returning to the role. Readers are split. Some preferring Babs in the role of Oracle, and others feeling that this is a move that is long overdue. Both camps are making good arguments. I’m looking at it as new interpretation of Batgirl and plan to buy it with no reservations. In light of the circumstances and debate, I am presenting a random review of one of the earliest stories I recall reading Barbara as Batgirl.

Story: “The Isle of A Thousand Thrills”

Published in Batman Family #3 January-February 1976

Writer: Elliot S! Maggin

Artists: J.L. Garcia Lopez and Vince Colletta

Opening splash page text: They’re back! The flame-haired huntress from Gotham, Batgirl, and the crimson-chested youth who learned his craft at the side of the Batman and grew to young manhood as Robin. Together again in a land where time whirls, flip flops and leap-frogs madly across history – as the Dynamite Duo find themselves battling for their lives in an “Isle of a Thousand Thrills!”

Synopsis: Dick Grayson and a fellow Hudson University student named Frank Gilbert are in Provincetown in anticipation of a big announcement from Major Montana. Mr. Montana is a film maker, cartoon director, novelist, magician, and wealthy eccentric. Congresswoman Gordon and Senator Cleary are in Provincetown investigating off-shore oil drilling (or something!). Dick goes out of his way to make sure that Babs doesn’t see him. He fears that if Robin has to go into action, she may put two and two together and finally realize his secret identity.

Major Montana holds a banquet and mysteriously announces that he plans to unveil a fabulous gift for the young and young at heart. The next day, Dick, Frank, and some college girls are eating at a seaside ice cream shop when the Congressional delegation walks in. While Dick is scurrying away to avoid Babs, a giant sea dinosaur attacks the shoreline. Robin roars onto the scene on a motorcycle. Batgirl appears on a rooftop and they go into battle against the monster, eventually chasing him back into the water. Batgirl and Robin jump into a rented motorboat to chase the sea monster. They are followed by several boats of tourists. They eventually come to an island, where no island was before. The Dynamite Duo and tourists battle a Tyrannosaurus Rex, Spanish Inquisition Soldiers, and futuristic thought police with jet packs on the island. It is eventually revealed that the island is Major Montana’s gift. It is a place where normal people will be given the thrills of acting as heroes.

In the epilogue, Batgirl and Robin reveal that they have each deduced the other’s secret identities and part company with smiles on their faces.

My Reactions:

Not only was this one of the earliest experiences I had reading about Batgirl, but it was also my first exposure to the pencils of Jose Luis Garcia Lopez. I’ve been a fan for life. The drawings are crisp and clean. The action scenes are exciting to watch. Batgirl and Robin look like acrobats through and through. Graceful and fluid. The fantasy elements mix naturally with modern day Provincetown.

The story is simple and interesting. This is where the chemistry between Babs and Dick started for me. It’s a chemistry that remains as natural and unforced today as it was over 35 years ago. It’s a chemistry that I anticipate will be capitalized on in the new DC universe. Much of the current debate centers on whether Barbara will be recast as a “junior partner” by returning to the role of Batgirl. I don’t see that happening. Both she and Dick had already transcended that role in this adventure from 1975. They were clearly competent and capable of carrying a story. It’s a story that withstands the test of time.

[ August 14, 2011, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

well, I finished the Bat Lash Showcase. It's an interesting read. The art is great, even the stories that arre not by Cardy are good.

Bat Lash as a character is interesting. Once you see his origin story (how he came to lead the life he leads) he makes a bit more sense, and the whole "I'm a peaceful man pushed into violence to prevent violence" thing becomes very clear and understandable.

The stories by Aragones, O'Neil and Cardy were the strongest of the bunch, and those that came after seemed to be taken from an episode of Maverick.

There is quite a bit of stereotypical Mexican 'slang/speaking' that is a bit distracting at some points, but is not unlike watching a Speedy Gonzales cartoon, or a Cheech & Chong movie.

My overall opinion...Well worth the money spent, and would be worth the regular price. I think I may start tracking down the singles of his series...to see these in color. The black and white art is great, but seeing the cover for Bat Lash #2 on the coverof this collection, makes me want to see the fuill art in color as well to see the subtle changes that coloring can bring about.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You may have convinced me to pick up the Bat Lash Showcase!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

EDE. It's a 9.99 book, and you can probably find it on a special somewhere cheaper than that...the art alone is worth the price though, and the fun interjected into the seriousness of the stories makes them a good read.
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.