Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random Review Corner (Page 20)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Random Review Corner
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Craphole!! Looks like I can't get to the CBS before Monday... hope everything isn't sold out...!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Have I said yet ... that I'm really enjoying Super Crooks!?

It's fun. And I feel for these down on their luck crooks. (not that much 'cause their crooks but ... you know)

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
New Deadwardians #2 has sold me on at least the first story arc.

The plot thickened and I'm along for the ride.

(very much in fact - I'm curious to get to the bottom of things with the main character).

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
Have I said yet ... that I'm really enjoying Super Crooks!?

It's fun. And I feel for these down on their luck crooks. (not that much 'cause their crooks but ... you know)

Me too! So far it's been a blast. Just a fun, adventure / heist type story.

As an artist, Yu has really come a long way, and Millar seems to bring out the best in him. 'Superior' was the best work either creator has ever done, and this seems to be going right along with it in quality.

I know Millar has his haters, but he's really proving himself lately with his creator-owned work. He's not afraid to just have fun with it and let the audience just enjoy the story.

I'm enjoying the characters quite a bit. I already can't wait for Praetorian to get his comeuppance.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

yeah the characters are believable ... I'm really enjoying the surly telepath woman. the ringleader and the old man as far as character. The ghost will probably be developed later, and the two thugs are pretty funny.

I can't wait for Praetorian to get his butt handed to him too! it's only been two issues ... that's good writing.

That combined with what the heist actually is, was a catchy twist.

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Today was the start of the Second Wave of New 52 books, beginning with Dial H, Worlds’ Finest, Earth 2, and GI Combat. Dial H is the only one in these books I’ve had a genuine, positive interest in, due to the fact that it appears to be a similar revitalization in the tone of Doom Patrol, Sandman, and Black Orchid from the 80s, and China Mieville’s seemingly genuine optimism and dedication towards reviving the H Dial mythos.

For those of you who don’t know, Dial H for Hero is one of the older concepts owned by DC. Starting in the 1960s, it was about a boy named Robby Reed who discovered a small toy dial. Every time Robby dials the word “HERO”, he transforms into a brand new super hero identity, each time a new hero every time he dials again. In the 1980s, the idea was brought back with the Dial split between two young kids, Chris King and Vicki Grant. After a lengthy run in their own right, avoiding the hereditary “grim and gritty” of the 80s, Chris and Vicki would later become supporting characters in the New Teen Titans, with an older Chris internalizing the Dial’s power and needing help to stop a now older and evil Vicki, warped by a cult called the Children of the Sun. In the 90s, the Dial would find its way to Hero Cruz, a member of the super hero party team the Ravers (led by Superboy). Hero would fight against Vicki and seemingly cure her of her psychosis. The last we saw of him was joining the failed Titans L.A.. There was then a miniseries which took the Dial H concept down a dark road, including a bitter and older Robby Reed. Followed by a one-shot JSA story involving Alan Scott, and the first issue of JMS’s run on Brave and the Bold, the Dial had faded into obscurity.

You don’t need to know this to start reading this story. All you need to know is that there is a device, that when the word “HERO” is dialed, you become a brand new superhero for a short time. But China has promised plenty of easter eggs for the older fans, and has neither confirmed nor denied whether or not any of the previous Dial owners will appear. Though not the same way Dan Didio confirms it.

The story opens up to Nelson Jent, an overweight smoking addict who gets into an argument with his friend Darren Hirsch. From Darren, we learn that Nelson’s life has apparently taken a downturn in the last few years. “First the job, then Julie goes… you used to box. You used to read. You used to be interested in everything, man…” Neither Darren nor Nelson goes into a soppy, internal monologue about how depressing and unfulfilled Nelson’s life has gone, but we do see that Nelson doesn’t have much going for him now. He’s had a heart attack and he’s not even past 30, and the cigarettes are not going to make things better. Darren walks out of Nelson’s apartment in a huff, though not from a shouting match, and the internal dialog we do see demonstrates that Darren is sympathetic to Nelson’s situation, and Nelson understands he shouldn’t have gotten angry because Darren is just trying to help. China keeps this dialog simple without taking a turn into “Hallmark” or “Lifetime”, or some Frank Miller or Geoff Johns speel. Nelson actually follows after Darren to apologize, only to find Darren being beaten up in an alley by some thugs. We learn that Darren is involved in some shady dealings with someone called “XN”. Nelson tries to intervene but gets knocked on his butt with one punch. Nelson climbs into the nearest phone booth and tries to call for help, but somehow dials the number which leads to… the amazing 2012 debut of Boy Chimney!

Boy Chimney, a macabre, disturbingly powerful… thing, with long, spindly arms, legs, and figures, skin like soot-covered brick, a giant Joker grin, piercing yellow eyes, and a gigantic, stovepipe hat that spews smoke from the top. The fight scene is interlaced with shots of Nelson not understanding what is going on as the unbelievably tall and serenely manic Boy Chimney deals with the thugs. He moves his joints like some living version of Slender Man, twirling a cane and summoning monsters made out of smoke. When he has the thugs on the ground, the smoke monsters surrounding them, Boy Chimney talks about what the smoke is made of, and we learns it’s actually cigarette smoke. Boy Chimney is also able to actually sense all the people smoking in the city, and we’re treated to a page where he actually sees what they see through the smoke. Until he realizes he needs to help Darren and must help his friend.

Here’s the thing: we don’t know about what happens to Nelson once he transforms. Does he simply turn into a new hero? Does a new personality manifest and take over Nelson’s body when he does transform? Or does Nelson share his consciousness with some new persona? Nelson doesn’t have control, but Boy Chimney does remember that Darren is his friend and starts thinking like Nelson. At one point, the internal dialog tells Boy Chimney not to kill the thugs, and Boy Chimney allows it. This is something new in the Dial H mythos. Just about every time someone has dialed a hero, the person has always been in control and it’s just implied that they’ve only received a physical transformation. Now we see that the heroic personas may have a life on their own, but they aren’t necessarily parasitic or trying to take control, and it’s short of a dual system. Upon learning about Nelson’s smoking, it’s obvious that Boy Chimney’s powers are based off of Nelson’s addiction, which adds a psychological layer. Is the Dial working with Nelson’s psyche and/or subconscious? All of the other heroes that manifested were random and seemingly had no consequence towards whether or not they had a deeper connection to the person. Now it seems that’s no longer the case, though China has promised there’ll be new, random identities each time the Dial is used.

Meanwhile, Vernon Boyne, who was with the thugs who accosted Darren and, from what we learn from Darren, the guy he answers to, is speaking with someone about the incident. XN, the guy who was mentioned before. Vernon is trying to make it clear that the person involved was not “Manteau”. But who is Manteau? We don’t know. But Vernon has images of her, and a couple of articles, on his computer. Manteau, however, has been seen on the cover of Dial H #3, which implies that someone else has used the Dial before the first issue, and that person is connected with this XN. China adds another level of mystery.

After speaking with Darren’s doctor, Nelson goes back to the phone booth to figure out what number he dialed. He accidentally dials “HERO” again, and winds up with a new identity… the brand new, never before seen Captain Lachrymose! Looking like a hipster in a Superman knockoff uniform, Captain Lachrymose goes to look for Vernon Boyne to deliver a message and…

I will leave off there, as I’ve spoiled enough. Let’s talk about Nelson.

Nelson is an everyman in the truer sense of the word. He’s an okay guy, and his life hasn’t been looking too good lately. A lot of us have gone through the same thing. He’s going through a rough period and he doesn’t really know how to pick himself up. Darren is his friend and is trying to help him, but if Nelson can’t help himself Darren can’t do much. China doesn’t waste internal dialog and make Nelson or Darren’s assessment of the situation overdramatic, rather, he keeps it simple. The fact that Nelson isn’t too proud to apologize to Darren puts him above a LOT of characters in the DCU, and Darren having more patience than most but willing not to enable someone is also something we haven’t seen lately. Nelson shares the readers same sense of bemusement and confusion. He has no idea what is happening to him, or why. Nelson and the readers are in the same boat, as we are both experiencing this for the first time, so naturally, we don’t understand the “hows” and “whys” of everything. Yet. China puts us on the same level as Nelson, and vice versa. While stuck as Boy Chimney, Nelson asks how, but Boy Chimney replies “not now”. We aren’t going to get all the answers in the first issue. By the end, Nelson figures out he has to dial the numbers corresponding to “HERO” to change, but that also raises the question of how Nelson managed to dial these four numbers, and why, the first time he transformed.

Why is the dial in the phone booth? China admits it would’ve been too easy to have be some sort of hand held cell phone, but with the phone booth it’s a callback to the earlier days of superheroes. Think of Clark Kent transforming into Superman. And it provides a constant to the book. It doesn’t even have the letters “H-E-R-O” prominently shown. It looks like a regular dial. But it’s still odd. Like “the little shop that wasn’t there before” idea, you have a walk in phone both with an old fashioned rotary dial. It isn’t something you see these days, a little odd, but not something you would give much thought to under certain circumstances. China notes something about odd about the Dial H mythos, we’ve never learned just where the Dial came from, who built it, and why? He’s also going to continue to explore the psychological aspect of the Dial. In interviews he’s made a point about one of his favorite transformations from the Robby Reed stories, King Coil. Robby transformed into a gigantic, living metal spring. Now, as a kid, you would be amazed that you’ve turned into something amazing. But if you were adult, think of how horrifying and amazing it would be to be transformed into a gigantic piece of metal. You’d probably be scared that you have no organs or no genitalia. As for Boy Chimney and Captain Lachrymose, it’s obvious what they represent. Boy Chimney is Nelson’s cigarette smoking, and Captain Lachrymose is Nelson’s depression, both taking to extremes.

As for the art, Mateus Santolouco is amazing. Boy Chimney and Captain Lachrymose are two of the best aspects of the whole book. Boy Chimney’s lanky, spider-like appearance, his cheerful glee and giant hat which transcends the panels is so distinctive. When I first saw the designs for the latter, I assumed China was making a reference to the “Doom Force” one-shot Grant Morrison wrote, featuring a member named “The Crying Boy” who had bad luck powers. Captain Lachrymose’s powers stems from gaining strength from misery, by making people relieve painful memories. Lachrymose’s confrontation with Vernon also gives us a fight with something totally horrifying once it reveals its true form. Mateus gives everyone in the book a distinctive face and no body type is reused. He makes the phone booth totally inconspicuous and innocent, so it doesn‘t leave you suspecting the power it has.

In the end, China has set up a suitable story and a few good mysteries. What will happen if Nelson keeps using the dial? Who is this XN? Who is, was, Manteau? Will Robby Reed or the other dial owners appear? I was excited because this book seemed the most interesting, and so far I’ve been right. This isn’t like the other Vertigo re-workings, though China has been honest that the approach is not something new. I look forward to more, especially the heroes who appeared on the second cover, and I hope people give this book enough support so that China can give us a satisfying story without having to do an ass-pull ending.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

This weeks Daredevil #12 was IMO stupendous ...

just a great great story ... not even any action.

art was great. and I just found the story pleasantly superb.

I loved the back story on his friend ship with foggy and the development of his new friendship with the Assistant D.A.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I grabbed X-O Manowar #1, the first release of the relaunched Valiant universe, and was pretty impressed by it! It was a well-paced, well-written story with phenominal artwork by Cary Nord.

The story is certainly taking its time to getting Aric of Dacia in the X-O armor, but I didn't mind at all. #1 opens back in Roman times with the Visigoths and this happens to be an era of history that I am totally fascinated with, having immersed myself in it for years. It was really well done (and makes me wish for a series set in this era), and then just as it leaves you wanting more, it moves forward to a totally different setting / tone of science-fiction. #2 will pick up with the sci-fi element and I suspect bring us further to the modern day X-O Manowar

I'm a big fan of Valiant Comics from their early days. X-O was actually never one of my favorites then, but this was definitely impressive enough to continue now. I'll be picking up the others too, including my favorite from back then, Archer & Armstrong.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
2012 continues to be nothing short of the best year in decades for new, creative comic book series and the latest 'so good I'm totally blown away' comes from Dark Horse in the form of Resident Alien. It's a four issue miniseries but I hope it becomes an ongoing or series of minis because it was nothing short of phenomenal.

The premise is fantastic in and of itself: alien crash lands in small town USA and is basically stranded. He's able to blend in and bide his time until rescue, purposely avoiding any unnecessary human contact. His secret identity is that of a doctor-now-full-time-researcher, which is why the police come to him when the small towns resident doctor is murdered. He reluctantly agrees to help out and soon finds he really enjoys the interaction! And more...now that his boredom is cured, he's too interested in solving the murder mystery to give up now.

It's a great blend of mystery / suspense, insight into small town life and sci-fi. But where it succeeds is the delivery. Writer Peter Hogan paces it perfectly with an ever growing increase in tension as we get insight into the characters. I really want to keep reading about 'Harry Vanderspiegle'!

The real triumph though is the art. Steve Parkhouse gives page after page of some of the prettiest panels I've ever seen! Beautiful backgrounds and settings just illuminate the pages. And if that wasn't enough, where Parkhouse really shows his stuff is in his layouts. They are methodical and fascinating and I actually reread the issue to take it all in. There is some great Gibbons influence; and for this Legion fan, I couldn't help but get a sense of John Forte believe it or not. Some really multi-layered scenes going on in the larger panels like Forte would do (used to great effect with symmetrical panel layouts in other places). What puts the art over the top is the coloring (also by Parkhouse) which is incredibly lush and feels like the work of a master painter in places.

Fantastic new series--A+ and a big recommendation.

Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
This weeks Daredevil #12 was IMO stupendous ...

just a great great story ... not even any action.

art was great. and I just found the story pleasantly superb.

I loved the back story on his friend ship with foggy and the development of his new friendship with the Assistant D.A.

Yep, it's a great story. And leading into it, the Omega Effect story crossover with Avenging Spider-Man #6 and Punisher #10 was superb in all aspects. I'm loving Daredevil!

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

New Deadwardians #3 of 8.

This issue was a bit of a slump compared to issue 2. This book is still nothing new ... but I like Vampires and Zombies, and the Victorian setting. I'm not sure if I'm along for 8 issues though, maybe 4.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

This weeks SUPER CROOKS raised the stakes ... the twist in the final scene has me on the edge of my seat until next month!

America's got Powers #2 was the best book I bought this week. I really feel for the poor protagonist stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

POWERS was also exquisite this week! It's getting better and better.
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Dial H #2 review.

Picking up from the first issue, we’re greeted with Nelson experimenting with the H Dial. He’s trying out different identities, seeing what he’ll turn into, and learns that the Dial’s power is not necessarily unlimited. The more frequently he uses the dial, the shorter duration for the identities. The Dial requires time to recharge its energy. In this issue, Nelson becomes:

*The Human Virus
*Shamanticore
*Pelican Army
*Double Bluff
*Hole Punch
*Rancid Ninja
*Skeet
*Control-Alt-Delete
*Iron Snail

The first four have been seen on the cover, but the identities which receive the most time on panel are Control-Alt-Delete and Iron Snail. I was slightly disappointed, because I was hoping to see some more action from both Double Bluff and Pelican Army. …both. Double. Word play.

Nelson starts doing investigating into what his friend Darren has gotten himself into. It turns out that Darren has been joining in some breaking and entering. But all of the target homes have belonged to people who’ve lapsed into comas. Not from natural causes. There’s a connection between the cases, but Nelson doesn’t investigate that. In the first issue, the doctor Nelson spoke with (who also has a big role to play) mentioned dealing with “gang members lapsing into comas”. At first, I thought she was talking about the guys Nelson fought as Boy Chimney. It turns out I was wrong.

As Control-Alt-Delete, Nelson goes to check out the home that Darren was supposed to break into. Here, he meets the mysterious Manteau mentioned in the previous issue. It’s unclear as to what power Manteau has, but she assumes that Nelson is someone who’s fought her before. It’s also implied that Manteau is also connected to the Dial in some way. When Nelson uses his “reboot” power on Manteau, it seems to turn her back to normal from whatever she was. As she flees, she takes a landline phone from the apartment with her. Another observation: Manteau has frequently been engaging in fights with the people Darren has been working with, those working for X.N.

X.N. actually stands for “Ex Nihilo”. We get to meet X.N., and her prisoner it turns out. The previous issue we saw that X.N. had someone kept in a glass cage. Here, we’re introduced to the Squid, a decidedly inhuman person who agrees to do some dirty work for X.N. In this case, it’s getting rid of Darren Hirsch. The Squid, however, makes it clear that he wants something from X.N. but he is not her slave, and that he’s only helping her so he can finally get what he wants. The Squid alternates between elegant elocution and sailor mouth when he fights Nelson, this time as the Iron Snail. Believe me, the name is not as stupid as it sounds when you see Nelson in action.

Besides the action, we get a glimpse into Nelson’s personal life. He tries to contact the previously mentioned Julie from the first issue. It’s implied that their relationship ended somewhat badly, but he turns to Julie because he needs someone to talk to. He doesn’t get to talk to Julie like he wanted, though she doesn’t tell him to go screw himself. Mieville once again provides a demonstration of human emotion doing tastefully by not over-hyping the drama. Nelson is still depressed and slightly submersed in self-loathing, but not to the point that he’s bemoaning how the world is a horrible, empty place. Littleville, however, is mentioned as a very depressing little town where nothing works. Not even relationships. Nelson has begun to look to the H Dial as a way of escaping from the drudgeries of his life. If he’s not careful, he might start becoming an addict.

The issue ends with Nelson being offered by Manteau to explore into where the Dial truly comes from and what he’s gotten himself into. The Squid and X.N. are anticipating the return of… something, Darren Hirsch isn’t doing so well, and it looks like Nelson is now a target.

With Mieville’s realist superheroic psychological exploration of a dial that turns you into superheroes and Mateus’s distinct and original character designs, I still look forward to more.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
I dropped Birds of Prey with #9....while I really like the characterisations (this version of Katana is awesome and Starling has quickly become one of my favourite characters), I'm kind of getting over being thrown into the middle of things every issue and never getting full answers. At first I thought this was a conscious choice of the writer, to keep us as unbalanced as the Birds are and to keep things unpredictable....and it still MAY be that, but it's stopped being a satisfying mystery and just started feeling like sloppy writing. Why is Batgirl suddenly hanging out with them? What happened to the completely different story from last issue? What happened to the completely different story from the issue before? It's too choppy with regrettably not enough to make up for the choppiness.

I have picked up the first 2 issues of Dial H though, and am enjoying it. Not really 100% sold on the bad guy/s, but Nelson is a legitimately interesting protagonist for a superhero comic and the identities are all unique and very creative thus far. I will give this one a few issues and see where it goes I think. [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.