Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Best Comic Book Solicitations - enough to get you to buy an issue

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Comic Book Solicitations - enough to get you to buy an issue
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Here is a thread that one might hope would have a steady stream of activity but in all likelihood will only be active every so often. That's because this is for the comic book solicitations that are just so damn awesome, you feel that you absolutely must buy the issue in question.

For May 2010, which are currently now up at the various comic book news websites, there is only really one that fits the bill:

I, Zombie, by Vertigo (DC Comics imprint)

On sale MAY 5
32 pg, FC, $1 US
MATURE READERS
Written by CHRIS ROBERSON •Art and cover by MICHAEL ALLRED
1:10 Variant cover by DARWYN COOKE
Gwen Dylan is a gravedigger in an eco-friendly cemetery…and a zombie detective. Once a month, she has to eat a human brain – both to keep from going all “Night of the Living Dead,” and to keep her own memories intact. As a result, Gwen’s mind is crowded with the dead person’s thoughts. And lately, she feels compelled to fulfill their final requests. Torn between a mysterious mummy and a dashing young monster-hunter, Gwen is set for adventures beyond imagination! A were-terrier, a swinging ’60s ghost and a pack of paintball blasting vampires complete the cast of I, ZOMBIE.
Written by World Fantasy Award finalist Chris Roberson (CINDERELLA: FROM FABLETOWN WITH LOVE) with art by Eisner Award-winning superstar artist Michael Allred (X-Statix, Madman), I, ZOMBIE is a monster of a tale with razor-sharp prose and powerful pop artistry.
Don’t miss this special debut issue launching Vertigo’s next monster hit, priced at just $1.00!
Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

Okay, take a moment. Reread that. $1.00 cover price. Artwork by Mike Allred. A generally awesome premise.

Yup, I have to pick up #1 on the strength of the above alone. Well done, Vertigo. Well done.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
You had me Allred. The $1 pricetag is just sweet sweet icing! This is an ongoing? Looks like Vertigo just scored an add to my pull-list, something that hasn't happened since... probably CODENAME: KNOCKOUT.

thanks, Cobie-- without this thread I would never have known about this probably (or would have found out 3-4 months into the book)!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
vampires,

I never got the over-facsination.

Zombies however, totally rock!

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Aw, man, why is everything coming out in May?

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I *knew* if I could get Lash's attention, he'd be willing to try this one out. Allred, $1.00, Zombies...its like a Spring Christmas present!

BTW, in case some of you aren't aware, almost all Vertigo titles these days have a $1.00 first issue. The company knows what its doing.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Dang!

Gonna have to buy this. There is not much else that could make me look forward to a book more...Allred drawing Zombies for a buck!

Freakin sweet!

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Preview here:

Preview with links to Allred cover and variant by D. Cooke.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Here is a solicitation that really caught my eye! Really high-concept that might be enough to peak my interest. Unlike the previous I, Zombie, however, I do not know the creative team and the price point isn't exactly a welcoming factor. So decision to buy will be made in the store (assuming store order this). Still, great solicit!

IDES OF BLOOD #1 by Wildstorm, DC Imprint

Written by STUART C. PAUL
Art by CHRISTIAN DUCE
Cover by MICHAEL GEIGER
The year is 44 B.C. Julius Caesar has conquered Transylvania, and vampyres are Rome’s new slave class. But when rich mortals start turning up dead with fang marks on their necks, Valens, a vampyre slave-turned-Roman soldier, plunges into the blood-soaked underworld of Rome to capture the Pluto’s Kiss Killer. If he can prove himself, he’ll earn rank and riches beyond what anyone this side of the Tiber has ever seen! But if he fails, he just might find himself on top of the pile of bodies!
Don’t miss this crimson-red, 6-issue thriller that mixes the undead intrigue of True Blood with the brutal Roman action and political drama of Spartacus from newcomers Stuart C. Paul and Christian Duce!
On sale AUGUST 18 • 1 of 6 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ok, that one has me interested.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
me too.

Lash - i really miss gogo fiasco. : (

I really liked I Zombie btw. been waiting for a new Allred book.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

BILLY THE KID’S OLD TIMEY ODDITIES AND THE GHASTLY FIEND OF LONDON #1 (of 4)
Publichsed by Dark Horse
Eric Powell (W/A/Cover), Kyle Hotz (A/Cover), Dan Brown (C), and Dave Stewart (C)
On sale Sept 8
FC, 32 pages
$3.99

The world believes the notorious outlaw Billy the Kid was killed by Pat Garrett, but in reality the Kid is very much alive, the hired gun of Fineas Sproule’s traveling spectacle of biological curiosities—or “freaks,” as Billy calls them. In their latest adventure, Billy and crew confront their most vicious challenge yet: Jack the Ripper!

In London to visit a true Elephant Man, Billy, Sproule, and the company learn about the Whitechapel murders and the fact that disfigured people are being blamed for the killings and targeted for mob justice. As the group applies themselves to the case, Sproule looks for information at every bar in the city, while Billy tags along to drink whisky and flirt with prostitutes at each one—which might be a better way to find the Ripper than he realizes.

• Includes Goon backups by Eric Powell!

I think this actually began as a back-up in Powell's "The Goon" and other comics but I've never read it. Here it sounds pretty darn groovy! A bit pricey though.

Still, great solicit!

Dev - Em
KIA

Powell and Hotz doing art in the same book? or is it just the covers?

Wither way, this sounds interesting.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hm. This Billy the Kid thing sounds kinda like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, except using real historical figures rather than literary characters. Interesting. I'll definitely watch out for the reviews!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

A THOUSAND ARTS ONE-SHOT published by Dynamite Entertainment
64 pages FC • $6.99 • Teen +

Written by STUART MOORE
Art by SIDDHARTH KOTIAN & LIQUID COMICS
Coves by SIDDHARTH KOTIAN

A kung-fu action thriller set in the unforgiving Alaskan wilderness where an archeological dig uncovers a trove of 7,000 year old documents that describe a lost civilization of ancient Chinese that once thrived in North America and reveal a lost trove of centuries-old hidden martial arts knowledge. When an assassins guild attempts to steal this newfound power, the last living descendent of the original monks must reclaim his destiny, protect his people’s secrets and become the master of a thousand arts. Created by L&E Productions and written by Stuart Moore (Wolverine Noir; Namor: The First Mutant).

^Pretty good solicit! $6.99 for 64 pages--not a format you see much anymore but perhaps an impulse buy.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I've got to admit, while most DC & Marvel superhero series seem to put almost no effort into their solicitations, the recent Black Widow one is quite good:

BLACK WIDOW #7
Written by DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI
Penciled by MANUEL GARCIA
Cover by TRAVEL FOREMAN
“KISS OR KILL,” PART 2
Your name is Nick Crane. You’re a young journalist whose senator father was seduced and murdered by a sexy Soviet agent who calls herself “Black Widow.” Now she’s abducted you and handcuffed you to a bed in a swank hotel penthouse. Now she’s leaning over your prone body, whispering softly in your ear: I’m here to save you. Every cell in your body wants to kill her… but at the same time, part of you wants to kiss her. Very, very badly. Fortunately, that’s a decision you won’t have to make right now. Not with a pair of violent super-powered assassins smashing through the hotel windows…
Duane Swierczynski and Manuel Garcia’s new era for the super-spy Avenger known as Black Widow continues here!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.