Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » SPECIFIC ways the internet has changed your involvement with comic books

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SPECIFIC ways the internet has changed your involvement with comic books
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
(The all-LSH version of this thread is available here)

Yes, how?

Remember: be specific!

[ April 07, 2010, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Thriftshop Debutante ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I think VERY GOOD.

One specific example: I would never in a million years have read THE WALKING DEAD without the internet and specifically Scott/Lightning Lad.

It is my favortie comic book.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
I've sold comics on the internet, something I hadn't done before. (I've also bought comics on the internet, but I'd done that before, of course.)

I have read digital copies of comic books (and we won't examine the source of said digital copies too carefully).

I went to a big comic convention, no doubt due in part to info being available on the internet -- not just the con website, but info from previous-year attendees.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I too unloaded a LOT of comics via eBay back in the day.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
it's much easier to keep track of what's coming out when!!

and i get great recommendations and news from legionworld.

; )

oh and a few great catches from amazon.com

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I buy way too many comic books and GNs now, and I blame the internet, not my own lack of restraint.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
While the Legion is the reason I started using the internet to increase the level of enjoyment in my comic book hobby, I probably have been affected by the internet moreso in regards to various other comic book franchises.

First, ebay and the internet have helped my father and I track down a multitude of back issues for our collection. We now own all the Marvel Silver Age to the Present for all the major titles (Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Spidey, X-Men, Hulk, DD, etc.) and most of the Silver Age DC to the present. I specifically used ebay to complete our JLA collection. And he is currently using it these days to hunt down issues of World’s Finest, working his way backwards from 1960—he’s up to about 1956-7. So that is a huge bonus.

The internet, particularly Legion World, has also made me aware of several other series that I now consider huge favorites: like Lash, Walking Dead is a big one (thanks Scooter!), Scalped (thanks Lardy!), and who knows how many others. In a broader sense, the news sites like newsarama and comic book resources have kept me aware of what creators are doing outside of the big 2 (which I probably would have collected anyway), so I’m more apt to find a great independent series by a creator I know I like, rather than in the old days, potentially missing their name on a comic on the rack.

I also personally have to thank He Who Wanders who gave me some advice when I was at my absolute lowest point in comic book interest because of the stupid things DC has done the last few years, who told me to start looking elsewhere and not be a slave to the habit—advice I’d hear before but when he said it was when I really needed to hear it, and that helped spur me on to check out a plethora of new series I’m collecting and enjoying, such as Atomic Robo, Zorro, Battlefields, Unwritten, Unknown Soldier, and so many others: all things I could easily track down on the internet and get some opinions / reviews / synopsis of to see if its something I’d enjoy.

The internet is also a useful tool in making connections that ordinarily you might miss and then gaining an interest in them. Honestly, who in the world could keep track of Mr. Sinister’s history in the X-Men titles just be collecting it for 30 years? But with the internet, I was able to get information here and there, piece it together, compare it to other people’s and really just become interested in Mr. Sinister in general. Now I collect things he’s in and re-read stories (like Inferno) with a new eye. It’s heightened my level of enjoyment.

When I remember specific other titles I collected because of Legion World recommendations I’ll post them here.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Lardy recommendation of Scalped to me - now its one of my favorite titles.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I go to the comic book shop more frequently because of the internet. For many fans, new comics day (typically Wednesday) has always been an event. It never was for me. I started keeping a pull list at whichever comic shop I frequented as a young adult. I always worked on Wednesdays and would never dream of going to buy comics in the middle of the week. Saturday was always my comic buying day - more specifically, the last Saturday of the month. I would get four to five weeks of books on a single trip. Since I had a pull list, I never missed an issue of anything I really wanted.

Now that I read reviews and participate in online conversations, I feel a need to be more timely with my comic book reading. I know all the hot discussions about the book will start Wednesday evening. I want to be involved in that early discussion. I also don't want to be spoiled by the message boards, but I don't want to avoid my favorite internet sites for a month. So I am much more inclined to buy my comic books during my lunch hour on Wednesday and read them after dinner that evening before signing on to the computer.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The internet made me see creators in a new light through the endless parade of interviews they have. And that isn't always a good thing.

John Byrne, who comes across as a complete nutjob, was an artist I liked for a longtime. Now, when I look at his art, I can't help but recall the numerous idiotic comments he's made.

Meanwhile, when I read a story by the legendary Robert Kanigher, who I know from interviews with others was an author who firmly believed in things like equality, humanity and loyalty, I can't help but feel that in his work.

Other than Kirby and Ditko, I never really knew a great deal about any particular writers and artists. Now I do--and that be either good or bad, but it certainly influences my opinions on the work.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.