Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » So...what did ya get this week? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  37  38  39   
Author Topic: So...what did ya get this week?
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought it'd be fun to let each other know what we picked up...whether new or from the Back Issue Bin.

I picked up the dollar reprints of Chew #1 and The Walking Dead #1. I have both on trade format, but thought it's be great to have regular issue copies of both on hand.

I also picke up the Flash Secret Files and Origins 2010. Barry Allen is my favorite character in comics, so I am supporting this 100%. Plus there is art by Kollins.

The Last Stand of New Krypton #2 is next. Buying it for the LEgion, and so far...majorly bummed by this whole thing.

Finally is Doom Patrol #9. The bug is back and someone is in trouble....hey la hey la the Bug is back. If Ambush Bug is in it...I'm buying it.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
Ambush Bug is in Doom Patrol? Must make a note to pick that up, thanks.

I picked up a couple of books from the Amazon Marketplace this week.

The first is a Manga called Solanin by Asano Inio about a twenty something living in Tokyo who is looking for purpose in her life. It is quite a hefty book at 400+ pages but the story is broken down into smaller almost self contained stories so it is not quite so daunting. About halfway through and so far it has been excellent.

The other was an IDW book called Completely Doomed which is a collection of adaptations of Robert Bloch stories by various Indie creators. I have not started it yet but at least one of the stories is by Ted McKeever who is one of my favourite artists so is, at least in part, going to be great.

I also picked up Last Stand of New Krypton for the same reason as you. I seem to be enjoying it more than you but will be glad when they are back where they belong in a couple of months.

From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Lastest and what will likely be my last Buffy. It's strapped on rocket-skis and is jumping space-sharks at this point.

Mighty Avengers 35. I like USAgent and Hank Pym, but this team sorely needs a stronger female presence than Stature and Jocasta provide. (The foreshadowed return of Janet van Dyne may fill that void, 'though.) Hope springs eternal!

Adventure 9, which was all kinds of meh. "Quick, shoot darkness at it Shadow Lass, that will help power the time machine!" Plus, as much as I love that they are using Tellus, why do they keep handing him off to artists who've not bothered to look at the character before drawing him as a humanoid with a tail? Still waiting for this stuff to end and actual Legion stories to begin, instead of World of Krypton / Blackest Night / ressurection of Bart and Conner / etc. crossover stuff.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I bought nine this week:

Boys 41
Flash Secret Files
Invincible Returns 1
Doom Patrol 9
Last Stand of New Krypton 2
Buffy 34
Warlord 13
Superman Secret Origin 5
Batman & Robin 11

Don't look for reviews any time soon as I'm now over a month behind. As for Buffy, Set, I'm feelin' ya, but with it ending around 40, I feel obliged to stick with it.

Almost bought Marvel's SHIELD #1. Thumbed thru it and the art and story looked awesome. After reading a 5-star review of it on CBR, I emailed my comic book guy and told him to save me a copy, and I'll buy it next week.

I was also tempted by both the Kevin Smith and Matt Wagner number ones of their Green Hornet series based on Cobalt's reviews. I decided not to get either at this time because of the price point and my lack of familiarity with the character. I might change my mind at some point, though, or I might buy the trades when they come out. Of the two, the Kevin Smith version looked more tempting because of the art.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
hmmm. not a great week.

ultimate x 1, and 2. quite liked it.

uncanny x-men second coming number 2. liked it just wish it were a lot longer. and was hoping more than just kurt would be so against the x-force's killing spree. even wolvie seems out of character.

new avengers luke cage 1 of 3. crazy art. (not crazy good) i was duped, thought this was new avengers...didn't catch the luke cage subtitle. was ok but not getting 2 or 3 unless im hungry for comics.

and buffy 34. not feelin the plot but, the dialogue is so good, it makes me laugh, brad meltzer obviously watched alot of buffy.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I got a rock.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
not a hard place?
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I felt that after I got the rock.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
So far, still have to visit my other store...

Brightest Day #0 - intrigued by the preview.

Doc Savage #1 - Gonna give it a try.

The Flash #1 - c'mon...

Adventure Comics #10 - I have a feeling I'm going to be dissappointed until LSH #1 hits.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Superman Secret Origins 5- okay story, great art. I did jettison the Luther-gives-Lois'-mom-medicine-once-a-day storyline for the "Her dads an ass" storyline.

Funny thing, I don't ever recall having seen Lois's mom in any stories. Not to say that she was never shown, I just don't remember if i ever saw it.

JSA All-Stars 5- really needs some work on the art, the story is okay. I have a feeling that what Courtney sees and the reader wasn't shown was the real Al.

The Flash 1- story isn't grabbing me so far, art is not very good for the character.

Doom Patrol 9- Gotta say, Keith is hitting a grove with this, though the "language" of explanation is getting annoying fast. Still, its part of the "badguy's" character.

Batman and Robin 11: eh... Good art, but the story isn't setting my world on fire.

Brightest Day 0- Not bad. Pete Tomasi is simply put DC's most underrated writer. Every book he touches becomes instantly better. Together, he and Geoff are weaving something great.

Red Robin 11- Getting better, but I hear Yost is leaving and another writer is coming aboard. I'll reserve judgement.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I dropped Green Arrow, but I read it.

I'm also not buying anymore of Rise of Arsenal, or the new Green Arrow book when it comes out. I'm not supporting that direction by giving DC my money.

That said, I picked up Batman, Batgirl, Brightest Day, Flash, Booster Gold, Secret Six, and I can't remember the rest.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Yesterday I got:

SECRET SIX 20

SHE-HULK SENSATIONAL 1-Shot

THE FLASH 1 (mainly for the free Flash ring with purchase)

BRIGHTEST DAY 0

I put Adventure 10 back on the shelf.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

lots of good stuff:

the Siege Loki special.

Siege Young Avengers.

Brightest Day 0
good enough to keep me around despite blackest night zombie burnout.

skimmed Green Arrow at the store. haha

and new muties. i forget. (not alot of new muties)

and adventure 10 despite being more like "quislet, superman, and superboy", and not the legion story i was looking for.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's my haul from the comics released this week (Note: though I buy them every week, I'm typically about a month behind in actual reading--I'm slow!):

Brightest Day 0
Flash 1
Adventure 10 (bottom)
Punisher Max 6
Booster Gold 31
Batgirl 9
Daredevil 506
Irredeemable Special 1
Chew 10 (top)
Secret Six 20

I thought, for fun, I'd include the ones I'd read first (top) and last (bottom) from the stack. In my case those are the issues from the haul I want to read most and least to provide a little more depth beyond just posting the list. Chew is one of my very favorite books being put out at this time. Adventure? Well, I'm just buying that one for the Legion appearances until they actually take over top billing, like many of us, I'd suspect.

I also bought Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 from last week's releases after reading lots of positive reviews of it from trusted sources. My pull list may be taking a major change, though, with Marvel books being most effected. Watch for the return of the Roundtable today for my thoughts...

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh I forgot I also got the latest NEW MUTANTS too.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 39 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  37  38  39   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.