Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Wow, another great endorsement! I'm hearing Static has a definite Spider-Man feel (agree?).

Hmmm... not quite, as Static's private life is nothing so bad as early Peter's was. But there is DEF a feel of "having powers is SO COOL" that echos early Spidey!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

PS/ I could have read Justice League # 1 about 4 times in the time it took me to read Static Shock ONCE and JL # 1 is 4 pages longer.

Very pleasantly suprised, I was indeed.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
My thoughts on Batgirl:

Gail Simone made it clear that the Killing Joke did happen, Barbara Gordon was shot and crippled for three years, then she was healed, and is now Batgirl again. She's still suffering from the emotional trauma of the incident, though.

Gail does not handwave the explanation to Barbara's recovery in a two-page spread of memories, she's taking her time. But she first got out of the way that Barbara was crippled in this new timeline. The thing is, she hadn't been crippled for the same amount of time as Oracle, so she doesn't quite achieve the same level of maturity of her former self. That being said, Barbara's trying to move on, get on her feet and establish herself away from home to get her life moving again. But she's still suffering from the aftereffects of the shooting, in the form of nightmares, and the sight of a gun being aimed at her the same way the Joker did causes her to freeze momentarily.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Batgirl was the weakest of the four new DC series that I picked up today. That's not say that it was bad. I just really enjoyed the others. Gail definitely has a challenge here. She's walking a fine line with the dictates of how the Batman family is to be treated in this new continuity. "The Killing Joke" still happened in some form, so I guess it's good to deal with it early. Unfortunately, the focus on Barbara's trauma over the event keeps the story from feeling fresh or fun. The best moments, for me, were Barbara's interactions with her new roommate. Well, that and seeing her on her motorcycle. Come to Momma, Sweetheart!

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

SWAMP THING # 1

I have read my very first Swamp Thing comic aside from a reprint of his first appearance, and... I think I am HOOKED.

The bits about the plant world being so deadly except that it usually happens so slowly... I was fascinated.

The bits with the birds dying... the cameos of Superman, Batman and Aquaman firmly establishing this in the DCU... and the HORROR elements... there was some SCARY STUFF going on.

And I think I just like Alec Holland.

I was really impressed.

This was my CBS' "PICK OF THE WEEK". I kinda inwardly rolled my eyes at that, assuming they were being Vertigo-loving snootybritches with their pick, but... this was really good. I was pretty captivated.

I'm onboard for # 2 and will stay with it if it remains so smartly written and drawn so realistically.

And nothing is surprising me more than having added # 2s for STATIC SHOCK and SWAMP THING...

JL # 1 aside, thus far I am pretty wowed by the DCnU...

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Regarding Swamp Thing #1 -- things almost got ugly at my CBS today. I put it on my pull list over a month ago. Since Monday was a holiday, I wasn't sure if the new books would be released today, so I called the store yesterday to be sure. I was told the books would be released today. I ran to the comic book store on my lunch hour. The books were just being pulled off the UPS truck, and the owner and staff were frantic. I had to go back after work. Swamp Thing was sold out, and they forgot to pull my copy. I was also hoping to pick up Detective #1, which I hadn't pre-ordered. It was sold out too. The clerk and owner freaked out that they hadn't saved a copy of Swamp Thing for me. They kept assuring me that they would find me a copy. There was about twenty minutes of running back and forth to back rooms and offices, and making phone calls. The owner finally came out of the office with a copy for me. Whew!

It was a pretty solid issue. Swamp Thing has brought magic into my life on three occasions: Wein and Wrightson's original run, Alan Moore's beautiful stories, and with Nancy Collins' celebration of Louisiana. The bar is set pretty high for me, and to be honest, the magic wasn't there. The script was tight, the character was treated with respect, and the Superman and Alec interactions were well scripted. There are some interesting concepts on the table. I'm intrigued and in for the long run, but hoping for things to pick up a notch or two next issue.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Another good article, this one from CBR, giving snapshot reviews of this week's thirteen. Again, definitely on the positive side.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

HAWK AND DOVE # 1

Well, they can't all be absolute gems, can they?

This falls in with the Justice League, in that the story is way thin at present.

Liefeld is NO Jim Lee, however... as is well-known.

I'll get # 2... but it's definitely also in the JL camp for me of getting cut after # 2 if I'm still not as enthused as I feel I should be.

--------------------

Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I've caught up on or skimmed through a lot of the new 52 titles for this week and by far the one that most has my attention and anxious for the next issue is BATWING #1. I like that this issue has a great pace. It introduces us to the title character, his Bat-connection, and his area without feeling rushed or overstated. Likewise, there's still plenty of unknown backstory to keep you coming back for months yet not so much that I feel like I can't comprehend who David is and why he does what he does.

BATGIRL #1 was intriguing as well, though I wonder how much of that was for the story itself and how much was simply my inner fanboy wanting to know just what Babs' revised origin would be. Glad to see pretty much everything intact though compressed. I like that Gail confronts outright that Barbara is walking again and what her life is like right now. It's kind of interesting to have a title where someone isn't trying to get into the hero game for the first time but BACK into the hero game.

ACTION COMICS #1 was interesting for the differences from our standard Superman fare and I'm curious to see how this revised origin goes. I like the set up so far actually and am less turned off by the changes in Supes' personality than I thought. Also, dorky Jimmy's haircut. I love it.

JLI #1 felt like a rushed story but at least it got a lot done and it didn't feel like a quick read. Most everyone's previous personalities appear intact and I'm curious to see how the team dynamics come into play. Batman's presence felt more like a tip of the hat than a rational idea, though.

Stormwatch, Static Shock, and Detective Comics were all much better than I expected though I still lack a personal history or connection to the titles. Still, a good first impression is going to get me to check out the next issue and give them a shot. That cliffhanger in Detective especially - wow. That'd get people talking even if this was the same old DCU.

Oh, and I liked HAWK & DOVE #1. It wasn't terrific but it's refreshing to see the characters have their own title to breathe in. I'm a sucker for the Doves and the fact that a past connection is being hinted at has me sticking around for at least the first arc. Hank's ranting against Dawn, though explainable after how their mission went, still seems a bit too heated even for the avatar of war considering the book establishes Hank & Dawn have been partnering for three years. After the nostalgia wears off, we'll see how I truly feel about the title.

Haven't read the rest yet! Hope to soon.

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Maltshop von Sockhop:
SWAMP THING # 1

I have read my very first Swamp Thing comic aside from a reprint of his first appearance, and... I think I am HOOKED.

Please turn off your computer and go rob a bank if you have to, and then buy all of the Alan Moore TPBs and read them. Do this now. Don't hesitate. You will thank me.

I enjoyed the new #1, but like Jerry said, when you are following the absolute best run on a comic ever, it's impossible to compare favourably (and unfair to try, but it is what it is). That said, I did enjoy it and I am on board for Snyder's run. I think I probably liked Animal Man and Action better.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
So far my report card is not good. Very average, little interest...not worth the change.

Justice League #1. Great art. Love the new costumes. Besides the reveal of the villain...was not interested. This is the kick off to the new 52?!?! A Batman/GL teamup story? I needed more members.

JLI#1 Ugh. do not like these new costumes. I like the idea...but these characters just don't work without their history. Very average.

Batgirl#1. Eh.

Detective Comics #1 Also very average but the last two pages made it interesting.

Action Comics #1. Eh. I hate scenes with the bad guys talking alot. Luthor and the general. The rest was ok. Didn't love it...but it was ok.

Stormwatch#1 has me the most interested.

Overall, I am really let down by DC. I preferred they keep the latest incarnation of their universe.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay...I caved and picked up four titles today.

Action Comics - The art is great, and the story is strong. A great throwback to the Golden Age.

Swamp Thing - Again, great artwork and a strong story that throws out everything you really need to know.

Animal Man - My favorite of the bunch. Art is different for various parts of the story and it's all good. Gives you everything you need to know to understand Animal man in one book.

OMAC - Giffen! and the story ain't too bad either. A good fun read. Interesting enough story to bring me back next month.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
I pre-ordered 5 of the DCnU #1s for this week, and after looking at the others in the store, I didn't pick up any more.

Action Comics was my Number One favorite. Despite being no great fan of Superman, I liked just about everything about this book, and should it stay at this level, I expect to keep reading it for a while.

Batwing was favorite Number Two. The art and the colors are the first thing I'd praise; they're perfect for this book. We get a solid and compelling introduction to Batwing's formidable character and power, and we meet a frightening terrorist opponent. (I must be a Judd Winick fan; I may have more of his Exiles in my collection than any series group other than Legion.) I'm surprised that some images at the end of the book didn't earn this issue a more mature rating.

Swamp Thing is my Number Three. As with Lash, this is my first Swamp Thing book. I don't know squat about this character, but I've always heard interesting things. The art was kind of hit or miss, I thought, but the concept and the story is all good enough that I foresee hanging with it for a while.

Stormwatch is my Number Four. I was disappointed in this one. I didn't measure up in story or art to my memories of these characters in Authority. I do like Martian Manhunter with this group, giving him the opportunity to be a warrior rather than a "hero."

Justice League International was my least favorite of the five. I never read JLI before, so I don't know how it compares to its predecessor. I'm not a Booster Gold fan nor a Guy Gardner fan (although Guy seems the most "real" character here). Batman seems out of place. I tend to like diverse teams like this one, but there's too much caricature and stereotyping for my taste. And the whole premise about how this team is formed, and why, is unappealing.

I've pre-ordered only two DCnU for next week. Come on, Legion Lost!

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So I hit up my CBS today and broke down and bought most of the first 2 weeks worth of DC titles. With all the reviews I'm just too curious! Will be reading and reviewing shortly!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I also liked Action #1 a lot. One thing I don't get is Click Here For A Spoilerhow did Superman know that there would be a problem with the train? I get how Glenmorgan must have told him about the shoddy construction, but that doesn't mean an immediate danger. And it seemed like Superman wasn't going to stop the train until he found out that Lois & Jimmy were on it.

But despite this, I liked the story. I liked him saving the people in the condemned building. I liked Luthor and his reasoning.

I also liked Batgirl. A great new villain for her to fight too.

Justice League International was good. I will definitely continue with that title.

Rounding out what I got are Animal Man, Hawk & Dove, and Static Shock. All good stories. I may pick up the next issue of Animal Man and maybe Hawk & Dove.

So for time of story: it seems like Action is 5 years in the past because in Justice League, Superman was dressed like he is now and we know he later gets the armor costume. With Batgirl, I wasn't able to pinpoint wether it was present day or that 5 years in the past. With Justice League International, it seems like they are contemporary. Within the story we have an established Justice League and heroes that are known. Animal Man also looks contemporary because of the established heroes aspect of the story.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.