Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 22)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Yeah, DCnU has quickly lost pretty much all appeal to me. So much so that I've entertained the notion of dropping EVERY BIT of it a lot lately, so I can prospect into even more awesome indies! Even the ones I still like well enough(such as Batman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Flash, Catwoman etc.) just don't feel like MUST-READS, y'know? At no point have I EVER felt (at least since I was 11 and went X-Men crazy) like I could drop the entire DC line, but I've felt like that since the "new"-ness of the New 52 wore off a few months ago.

Part of this, I know, is that the superhero genre has slowly been losing its appeal for me over the last few years with stories of any real consequence having their effects undone after a short while. As you realize more and more that these characters are more of a brand now than they ever were before,it just seems pointless to read about them and drop a lot of dough on them. The real action is in the indies where the creators have full control of their properties and do whatever they want to with them and do ground breaking things outside of the spandex genre.

But also, with the DCnU, I miss my damn continuity and the universe I was attached to before! I can see now how hardcore pre-Crisis fans felt when all their toys were taken away. I was still a kid when that happened, and even then, I had some misgivings. But now, as an adult fan who experienced the universe as it was since I was 15 (albeit with serious flaws within it), I find that this reboot took away most of what I loved about that 26-year continuity only to tell mostly mediocre-at-best sories with that clean slate.

I'm about to trim my DC pull list again. I'll give a handful of titles a few more months. But the possibility of my dropping ALL DCnu titles completely is there and getting realer and realer every day.Even my beloved LSH (which I've collected faithfully since the mid '80 theu relaunch after relaunch) won't be spared much longer. (I already dropped Legion Lost months ago.)

I'm with you 100%. It's not that I'm even disgusted or angry about the DCnU...I'm just so bored and ambivalent about it. I have no attachment at all to the DC universe anymore.

There are only a small amount of series I actually love, like All-Star Western or Aquaman. (Maybe just those two, actually).

Like you said, even the one that were "good" are now becoming kind of "meh" and "okay" for me at best: Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Flash, Catwoman. They are all kind of boring now, and for a lot of the reasons you have above. Even Earth-2 is mediocre at best.

I cancelled Batwoman and am considering putting Nightwing on the chopping block next. I find Justice League to be pretty terrible, actually.

(I do actually like Teen Titans and Superboy though).

In my mind, this is the worst DC has ever been for me. It's worse than Marvel has ever been, for that matter. You can't be taken seriously when you have 45 comics that are shit. But though the words are harsh, I'm not really mustering all that much emotion about it anymore. Saying DC sucks these days is like saying water is wet.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, maybe we can start calling it Earth-meh [Smile]

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
So "Legion World" is going to become code for "let's talk about indies"? ;-)

I recently posted on another thread that I've dropped everything but the Legion books. And I don't miss the DCnU stuff at all. It's the indies and the few Marvel books that I miss.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

You konw, for me, over the last 25 years or so, its when the Legion "feels" like an indie book (TMK, DnA's run) that I've been excited by it the most.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Agree with that, re: the Legion. And the state of the DCnU just saddens me, it seemed to start out with such promise and now most of the books are just flat. I'm much more interested in what Image is coming out with at this point.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly for me, it's the desire to spend what little entertainment income I have on things like movies and other things.

Finding things I can share with my kids is also a big priority...comics of today are just not really cutting it. Sure there are a few here and there...but overall, meh.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I decided to pick up Blue Beetle today.

Any superhero with a soft spot for his grandmother is okay by me.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Picked up the latest Batwoman because it was actually drawn by JH Williams ... tricky DC covers say his name on them but ... its the co creator or co writer credit he gets.

Anyway, got it, could jump right in because ... well ... it seems like nothing has happened since the last issue I bought. (issue 5! The last to drawn by Williams I think) Im not sure the art (even by Williams) is enough for me to pick up this book that moves at a glacial pace.

in other news: Phantom Girl and Doll Man was pretty good despite the interior art being a bit sub par.

Decided to pass on Looker ... flipped through it and got the gist at the comic store, the art is pretty good if bland in that it looks like so much else out there ... also it seems as if ... Looker is just a plain old vampire. fashion model vampire. no psychic powers besides the ones that come with being a vampire and no outsider super heroing past. great cover but she's just another vampire in a vampire saturated world.

[ August 31, 2012, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I also caught up on Flash because they are culminating the Rogue's saga ... passed on the Annual that was out this week ... because despite how i've been catching up on the Flash ... I wasn't interested in picking up a story that wasn't drawn by Frances Manapaul.

That's really the only reason to get this book. The story just runs on and on in an uber serialization ... nearly every issue ends on a cliff hanger. which isn't hard with so few pages ... and some of the splash ... which to be fair, F.M. does a good job with but its still not as much story as panels.

while F.M. is good enough to make me miss carmine infantino ... I tried it but it just dosn't have enough hook for me.

[ August 31, 2012, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
"0" issues for Demon Knights and Frankenstein were both horribly disappointing. Neither character's "origin" was very compelling, and actually detracted form both I would say.

Why would you need to redo Frankenstein's origin anyway, and dismiss the novel in its entirety? That's one of the more compelling parts of the character! And if you're goign to throw all of that out, why do so in favour of such a lacklustre story. They could easily have done this issue showing Frank after the events of the novel, or getting recruited by S.H.A.D.E.

Demon Knights was equally as bad, giving a pretty unremarkable backstory to Etrigan and Jason before their joining. Other than the recurring inside joke that Cornell is horrible at writing verse, this did nothing to add to the mythos of either character and was a step back.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
From my admittedly not very well informed vantage point (since I haven't actually read a single DCnU issue - but I have been following the developments online) it seems to me like the DCnU is all about change for the sake of it.

I keep hearing about this or that change to a character's origin or back-story or relationship or costume or whatever and I think to myself "How is that in any way better than the way it was before?"

And more often than not, what was taken out of each charater's story was what made them interesting and unique in the first place, only to be replaced with something just because it proved popular for another character. How many other DC characters have to have now lost their parents tragically just like Batman and Superman did (for example)?

Plus - for a relaunch that was supposed to be all about moving forward, I've never seen so many 90s throwbacks in writers and artists and costumes and characters and plot points... and not even the good 90s!

Unfortunately, the anti- and pro-DCnU camps online seem to have split into pre- and post-Flashpoint camps, when the rot at DC had set in looong before Flashpoint.

What I'd really love is to see DC return to the way it was before Dan Didio took over (obviously not in continuity since that's impossible but in attitude and approach to its characters and stories).

I think the single worst thing that the DC Comics company ever did was to hire that man and believe that one can almost exactly trace the decline of the company's long-term health (since we know he's a master at the short-term spike) to his taking over.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I've recently caught up on Justice League Dark.

I am surprisingly liking Jeff Lemire's take better than Peter Milligan's!

I don't think IMHO that Milligan's writing works in this universe, he has to play with kid's gloves and the dark and wonky weird supernatural just dosn't have enough punch ... left me a bit confused and feeling like he needed about 4 more issues to deal with each story arc to get the characters growth to point where the story would be great. I think a few parred down versions of these characters going through Milligan's story would make for a better mystery or horror story than a super hero book.

Jeff Lemire brings in more of a concise, superheros fight super villains story. Especially with the addition of the government and Black Orchid. JL Dark becomes more of an action drama than a horror mystery with pretensions of critical acclaim.

so, I will actually .... buy ... Justice League Dark ... that will keep the number of DC Comics I get to 2. (?) (World's Finest included and sadly Shade ended this month)

I would really appreciate the name being changed from Justice league Dark to just about anything else.

also, I'd like for Madame Xanadu to stop getting the short end of the stick in the plot and/or at least have us get to know what she is up to rather than just ... "oh she's tortured" "oh she made some hard choices ... everyone's going to hate her" blah blah blah stop milking the drama and tell a story! (I have missed a couple issues in my back issue catch up so I may be being unfair)

JL Dark also suffered IMO from the I Vampire tie in but now seems to have found its footing with more "super heros" on the team in pseudo magical and dark plot lines.

So Flash gets a big NO ... depsite awesome art and a Rogue's feature ... I just didn't give a crap enough even to read the conclusion of the story arc ... if they ever got there.

JL Dark will get a few more issues out of me at least. Really enjoying the supernatural superhero vibe of magic heros fight magic villains in punch outs.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

ah one more thing regarding JL Dark:

Government + Magic = Nightshade? Pretty Please!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
From my admittedly not very well informed vantage point (since I haven't actually read a single DCnU issue - but I have been following the developments online) it seems to me like the DCnU is all about change for the sake of it.

I keep hearing about this or that change to a character's origin or back-story or relationship or costume or whatever and I think to myself "How is that in any way better than the way it was before?"

And more often than not, what was taken out of each charater's story was what made them interesting and unique in the first place, only to be replaced with something just because it proved popular for another character. How many other DC characters have to have now lost their parents tragically just like Batman and Superman did (for example)?

Plus - for a relaunch that was supposed to be all about moving forward, I've never seen so many 90s throwbacks in writers and artists and costumes and characters and plot points... and not even the good 90s!

Unfortunately, the anti- and pro-DCnU camps online seem to have split into pre- and post-Flashpoint camps, when the rot at DC had set in looong before Flashpoint.

What I'd really love is to see DC return to the way it was before Dan Didio took over (obviously not in continuity since that's impossible but in attitude and approach to its characters and stories).

I think the single worst thing that the DC Comics company ever did was to hire that man and believe that one can almost exactly trace the decline of the company's long-term health (since we know he's a master at the short-term spike) to his taking over.

[Yes]

You ain't missing anything special by not collecting the DCnU.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Yeah, DCnU has quickly lost pretty much all appeal to me. So much so that I've entertained the notion of dropping EVERY BIT of it a lot lately, so I can prospect into even more awesome indies! Even the ones I still like well enough(such as Batman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Flash, Catwoman etc.) just don't feel like MUST-READS, y'know? At no point have I EVER felt (at least since I was 11 and went X-Men crazy) like I could drop the entire DC line, but I've felt like that since the "new"-ness of the New 52 wore off a few months ago.

Part of this, I know, is that the superhero genre has slowly been losing its appeal for me over the last few years with stories of any real consequence having their effects undone after a short while. As you realize more and more that these characters are more of a brand now than they ever were before,it just seems pointless to read about them and drop a lot of dough on them. The real action is in the indies where the creators have full control of their properties and do whatever they want to with them and do ground breaking things outside of the spandex genre.

But also, with the DCnU, I miss my damn continuity and the universe I was attached to before! I can see now how hardcore pre-Crisis fans felt when all their toys were taken away. I was still a kid when that happened, and even then, I had some misgivings. But now, as an adult fan who experienced the universe as it was since I was 15 (albeit with serious flaws within it), I find that this reboot took away most of what I loved about that 26-year continuity only to tell mostly mediocre-at-best sories with that clean slate.

I'm about to trim my DC pull list again. I'll give a handful of titles a few more months. But the possibility of my dropping ALL DCnu titles completely is there and getting realer and realer every day.Even my beloved LSH (which I've collected faithfully since the mid '80 theu relaunch after relaunch) won't be spared much longer. (I already dropped Legion Lost months ago.)

Well, today I went ahead and deleted all DCnU books off my pull at the CBS with the sole exception of LSH, which I'm giving at least a temporary reprieve because of my love for the characters.

The hardest to cut were Batman, Swamp Thing and Animal Man. The latter two are just too long and draggy in their storylines. As for Batman, I figure I'll pick up a trade every once in a while...if I feel like it.

There's still a chance I might buy some off the shelves, particularly if there are some lean weeks here and there. But the goal is to get nothing but books that I'm really looking forward to from now on. The more moohlah I have left to sample potential creator-owned gems, the better. No sense wasting my time and money on corporate crap that feels stale and recycled.

I should also note that I picked up Sword of Sorcery today because I had a good feeling about it. Perhaps that'll make two DCnU books on my pull?

(Vertigo titles I get are unaffected, of course.)

I feel like women must feel when they burn their bras!!! [LOL] [Styx]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.