Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » IMAGE explosions (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: IMAGE explosions
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
So, I just got back from the CBS and in my stack-- an unbelievable amount of IMAGE books!

MORNING GLORIES 18

SAGA 2-3

AMERICA'S GOT POWERS 1 (I haven't read it yet but I am SO going to try to talk Dean Lee into us doing our own version of an American Idol-type superhero thingie)

DANGER CLUB 2

HELL YEAH 3

THE WALKING DEAD 97

SEVEN Image comics-- which TIED my DC amount purchased. Poor Marvel was left in the dust with only ONE comic bought (MARVEL ZOMBIES DESTROY! # 1)

The blue-eyed, chisel-jawed cutiepie I've had a crush on since the 90s that works there said, "Look at all these Independents... I like that!" which almost caused an entirely different type of explosion...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Image has emerged as—by far—the single best comic book company going these days. Not only do they have a business model I find morally better, but they also have the best comic book series on the market.

• Walking Dead – there’s a reason for its popularity!
  • Chew – funniest comic on the market! With great characters and a complex storyline too!
  • Morning Glories – fantastic! (Wait til you read the latest Lash!)
  • Danger Club – best opening issue of a series I’ve read in…forever?
  • Hell Yeah – surprise delight and really awesome new series!
  • Saga – quite possibly the best new comic book series going, destined to be among the greatest ever in the medium!
  • America’s Got Powers – another strong debut issue!
  • Glory – brave and bold creators taking chances and also providing an amazing story!
  • Prophet – science-fiction on a level few have ever reached, like Ridley Scott’s first alien film or Moebius’ European comics
  • Fatale – the best crime / noir duo EVER in comics now bring the perhaps the best pulp / horror / noir series EVER to comics!
  • Peter Panzerfaust – I haven’t smiled as widely and as warmly as I did the last three times when I read an issue of this series! An adventure series so good that along with Atomic Robo and Chew, it made Eryk Davis Ester believe in the medium again!
  • Manhattan Projects & Secret – two new series by Jonathan Hickman that are already causing my brain to leak out my ears! Manhattan Projects was particularly awesome!
  • Skullkickers – I came late to the party, but as my motto states, I’m just glad I came! ( [Wink] ) I’m already blown away by how utterly terrific this series is and I’m currently hunting down back issues.
  • Bulletproof Coffin – the single most creative thing in history besides perhaps the guy who first combined peanut butter and jelly!

Meanwhile…Thief of Thieves has finally kicked into high gear and is showing potential to be yet ANOTHER triumph by Kirkman & compatriots…Supreme has me definitely interesting on where its going, after Eric Larsen calmed me down in an interview…Mind the Gap #1 had a pretty awesome twist at the end of the first issue that made me sit up and take notice…and I’ve been eying that Strange Talent of Luthor Strode TPB for awhile. Plus, maybe its finally time to get back into Invincible? Double plus, I kind of like the Darkness by David Hine and am considering continuing after a ‘tryout’ issue.

So yeah, Image is rocking these days. I can’t believe I’m collecting all of these Image series. But each month a new one joins the pack—and its just as good as everything else! It gives me great pleasure to drop the crappy DC and Marvel books that have let me down and drained my pockets so that I can buy comics that actually make me enthusiastic for the hobby again!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

On my radar: Dancer, Grim Leaper, Debris, Bedlam, Happy! and Jupiter's Children! All look like they're going to be fantastic!

But don't think I'm just some dude who likes a comic because a company publishes it! I've dropped Haunt and Super Dinosaur recently and said no to Bloodstryke, Epic Kill and others after trying them out. Each series must prove itself. Image is the only company that has series that actually do that on a consistent basis.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

So how are these IMAGE titles stacking up for me? I am going to decide their fates in this very thread! Will they stay or will they GET THE BOOT??

Well, I just read MORNING GLORIES 13-18 in one sitting and YEAH. It works best like that. Keeping me fascinated and utterly surprised every issue, ESPCIALLY the huge surprise in 18!

So Morning Glories stays on the pull!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

THE WALKING DEAD is safe, of course. It remains a top draw for me, despite a feeling like the book itself may be going in circles and there's not NEARLY enough time spent on character development of secondary castmembers. I have even forgotten many characters' names that have been around for 40 issues...

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

SAGA earns a spot on the pull after the terrific issues 2-3!

SUPREME 64 confirmed EVERY SINGLE ONE of my fears for a post-Moore version of this title. It is on the "1 more issue" bubble and if 65 follows the path 64 started, it will be the final issue I buy.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

HELL YEAH 3... was good. My main complaint is the "alternate Ben heroes" massacre... man, a LOT of image books feature massacres it seems... but something interesting IS going on and I wanna see how it develops. I'm onboard for # 4.

DANGER CLUB 2... was a bit of a letdown. Mainly the opening pages bode very ill for my taste and what I wanna see in my comics. The rest was a mix of character building for Kid Vigilante and a slugfest between Transformer robot type heroes, which doesn't really float my boat.

I thought this book MIGHT be the next Brat Pack or Welcome to Tranquility but I'm pretty sure that won't be the case. I am giving it one more issue, so that puts it on the "1 issue bubble" list. # 3 will determine its fate!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH's back:
SAGA earns a spot on the pull after the terrific issues 2-3!

SUPREME 64 confirmed EVERY SINGLE ONE of my fears for a post-Moore version of this title. It is on the "1 more issue" bubble and if 65 follows the path 64 started, it will be the final issue I buy.

I had the same exact reaction when I read the latest Supreme. I was so angry, in fact, I started hunting online for interviews with Larsen and reviews. One interview calmed me down a *little*. Larsen confirmed the other Supremes will remain a part of the cast and that not many characters actually died other than walk-on Supremes and Daxes. His words were "I'm giving Alan Moore's Supreme his biggest challenge yet: Rob Liefield's Supreme." So it looks like psycho Supreme isn't the star but the villain.

So...I feel a little better. (At least not fuming with anger). But all that does is make me want to continue to give it a chance. I'm still very much on the fence.

Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
"America's Got Powers" was a strong first issue, though I kept wishing Todd Nauck would just bring back "Wild Guard."

Another great Image read is "Reed Gunther," an all-ages book with plenty of action and humor for adults. It has a great "Brisco County Jr." vibe to it.

I also hope to see "Marineman" return soon.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I think I need to check for a WILD GUARD trade.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

AMERICA'S GOT POWERS 1... ummmm... here's another massacre scene. WHAT is it with IMAGE and massacre scenes? That's, like, crazy man.

Anyway, the massacre doesn't get TOO terribly deadly before it is ended-- and HOW it is ended is enough to make me wanna continue with issue 2! I'm kinda hoping the new player discovered here puts a complete and total end to massacres by issue 6...

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

AMERICA'S GOT POWERS 2 ...still keeping my interest.

HELL YEAH 4 ...I wanna meet the lesbian chick version of me from an alternate dimension! HELL YEAH is really starting to click.

SUPREME 65 ...Larsen surprised me. This issue gave me hope and earned my return next month.

DANGER CLUB 3 ...Yeah, I think the potential here is massive but the execution is just NOT working for me at ALL. My last issue of this.

After reading comments here about SAGA 4, I decided not to go forward with it.

Looking forward to MORNING GLORIES and TWD though!

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
awww I am waiting for the trade of Danger Club since my store only had issue 3.

America's Got Powers has me intrigued too.

I recently burned through Morning Glories Trade #3. So good. I even told the clerk at the CBS how good it was.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Peebs, I can send you DANGER CLUB issues 1-3 if you like, the execution may work better for you than for me [Smile]

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
that would be sweet ass sweet!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.