Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Hypernaturals - space opera by DnA!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Hypernaturals - space opera by DnA!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
If you liked DnA's Legion, or liked there Marvel cosmic comics (particularly Guardians of the Galaxy), then you owe it to yourself to buy Hypernaturals! The first issue was a fantastic launch that nailed all the beats DnA are best know for. 

It's very Legion-esque (and in fact if you didn't like their Legion you may still like this). But because it's creator-owned, there is a sense of anything goes and they are writing totally unfiltered. No editors hacking apart their stories and yanking away ideas. Just Abnett and Lanning firing on all cylinders.

We get a massive information load in the first issue with several specific characters to focus on. In the background is an immense and rich history that I'm curious for them to explore. But what makes the issue of course is the high concept space opera sci-fi and the nonstop high energy that makes the whole thing feel exciting and fresh.

Definitely a great debut. My pull list feels much better when a DnA sci-fi / space opera series is on it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I heard about this awhile back, I'll have to pick it up!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds great, I miss the DnA Legion and their Guardians of the Galaxy.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Got my comics today and this was the first book I read. Very enjoyable! DnA are masters at creating future worlds. I like the way they open with the data feed, including the news that Boston won the pennant (it only took like another 1000 years, I guess). They have a good trick for introducing the old-timers, then shift to the current time/problem, and bring in a couple of noobs (somewhat annoying characters - there always seems to be a timid one and a brash, overconfident one). Explanations of who is who and their powers are given in succinct text boxes which don't interfere with the image or dialogue. At the end, there's an interview in some equivalent of People or Glamour with one of the central characters, Creena Hersh aka Bewilder, now serving as the team's PR person.

There's a villain, of course, and he's presented in such a way that I think I might have some sympathy with him, if he'd stop smashing stuff!

I hope that under Boom Studios, Abnett & Lanning will have the opportunity to write this book as they see fit. Their work on The Legion and Guardians of the Galaxy were ended all too early in my opinion.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
With #2 and #3 out, DnA are proving their very best work is yet to come--and possibly happening right now. Fantastic issues that continue to build a rich world, all the while adding the awesome mix of tension, suspense, complex and original sci-fi, and kick-ass characters that only DnA can bring.

It was when I opened #3 that I realized "this is as excited as I felt when I read Legion Lost, Legion Worlds and their early Legion issues."

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
It's only been three issues, but I'm wondering if DnA have a clear idea of what Thinkwell's crazycool powers actually do (or the young recruit with his 'strangelets').

Both are feeling at least a little bit like they can arbitrarily do anything, at the moment, which tends to become a narrative problem in the long term.

It's interesting to see a post-singularity sort of future team, exploring transhumanist concepts that the Legion title isn't really an appropriate place to explore (since it would require retconnage of epic proportions, and possibly change the nature of the team and book to the point of doing more harm than good).

Set

In issue four, we find out what Clone 45's powers are (and get to see one of his predecessors, Clone 21, in action).

It's the exact power I gave Leeta 87, the power to tap into the skills and knowledge of his previous clones! (He takes it a step further, and can tap into their physical strength and toughness, making him able to be as tough as 45 people.)

Neat. As powers go, a transhumanist form of past-life channeling is pretty darn original, and it's cool to see that sort of thing in a comic!

Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Definitely brilliant. Read #1 when it came out and now ##1-4 in on one day, thought it was excellent. Slight bit of a 5YL feeling there (text pages a la Omnicom, ad pages) which is great in my book. And the story is really thrilling. Good thing that I try most books DnA are doing - they are among the few writers (Alan Moore, Peter David, Ron Marz, younger Keith Giffen) whose book you can buy just relying on the writing team...
From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
For the record, this book totally blows away DnA's Legion run.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Dan Abnett assured me on Facebook that this run will be collected, so I will get it then most definitely. Please shout out if you hear about the trade's release date, as my CBS gives 20 percent off trades on their first week of release.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
For the record, this book totally blows away DnA's Legion run.

[Yes]
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
[Hmmm?]

$

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

[Charma]

(Sell your body graemlin?)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.