Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel NOW... how many titles will you add? (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Marvel NOW... how many titles will you add?
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Lash, I like some of the 1970s FF, especially towards the end of the decade when Byrne/Sinnott did the art (much better than Byrne inking himself IMO), I just don't think it was as innovative as Lee/Kirby FF.

As for Bendis, I'm fully aware that, given his past history, it could all go horribly wrong in subsequent issues, but for now I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think Fanfie has a great read on Bendis (and always has). In the decade since Dissessembled, he's become in a lot of ways the opposite of how he once was (in good and bad ways). He's definitely more nostalgic. More importantly, he wants his stories to have real 'heart' to them rather than just be sensational. Whether he delivers is always a crap shoot.

I haven't picked any of these up yet but will be buying and reviewing them all.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I think I enjoyed the action and the art of the FF during Byrne's run ... also Invisible Woman really got suped up at that time. (I think it was Byrne)

but I can see how it was a departure from the FF's raison d'etre of exploration.

I kind of spoiled XMen vs. FF for you. shucks.

It pits the XMen against the FF because The XMen are desperate for a cure (from Doom) for Kitty Pryde who is becoming more and more intangible.

also the X-Men vs. the Avengers mini series ... of the same time ... is far far superior to the recent A v X.

anyway, the Avengers hunt down Magneto (who is a member of the XMen at the time) for war crimes ... and there's a bit more going on then first believed. and Marc Silvestri was at his best.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Looking forward to your thoughts on the relaunches, Cobie. And thanks for the kind words.

Peebs, the amping up of Sue's powers did indeed come from Byrne. And I do have the first three issues of Avengers vs. X-Men. I didn't get the last issue because it was redone at the last minute with a different creative team. But I think those first three issues are wonderful.

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I prefer the court scene from Uncanny X-Men 200 "The Trial of Magneto"!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Yes, that was very well done.

--------------------

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up the All New X-Men #1 out of curiosity. I'm much more of a DC guy than Marvel guy, but check in with Marvel now and again to keep up. Nothing to complain about from either the story or art. Not enough to blow me away, or jar me out of my routine to pick it up on a regular basis. It seems like it should keep the interest of X-fans and I wish Marvel success with Marvel Now.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I went to the store today ... Passed on Thor even though I actually really like the art I just thought I needed more going on in the story.

Passed on all new xmen ... I'm just really jaded and not into spending money on dissatisfaction ... Besides I wasn't really into the premise ... Seems Like just a far reach to get more and more x products on the stands.

passed on fantastic four as well ... Thought it was interesting but slow and short ... The state of comics today .

I think the only ones I will get are the Allred ff and the uncanny avengers ... Which was pretty typical but still exciting enough for me to give it a first story arc.

I got ONE comic book at the store today. Saga. Which despite pulling some more sensationalist imagery ... Still was charming somehow from the pull of the main characters. the main characters are still fantastically written

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe FF, definitely Young Avengers.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

REVIEW: INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #1

Written by Mark Waid

Art by Leinil Francis Yu

SPOILERS follow

Having been a fan of Mark Waid since the second Flash story he ever wrote (the Armageddon 2001 tie-in), I've been very happy for him that his Daredevil run has been a critical and commercial success. Unfortunately, I don't read Daredevil unless it's something truly outrageous, like the most outre moments of the Ann Nocenti and Steve Gerber runs. So when the news came that Waid was taking over the Hulk, I was cautiously optimistic, worried that Daredevil might have been a fluke.

My optimism has been rewarded...to a point. Waid's take on the Hulk is not particularly original. It's heavily (and understandably) influenced by the awesome portrayal of the Hulk in last summer's Avengers movie, with a dollop of Peter David's legendary Hulk run.

In the first issue, Bruce Banner/the Hulk "auditions" for SHIELD by helping them take down a super-villain. Needless to say, he passes the audition. It's full of the energy and conviction that I expect from Waid at his best.

The problem lies with the art. Yu has always been a frustrating artist, either a dazzling stylist or a sloppy composer, often within the same issue. That, unfortunately, is the case here. Having collaborated so effectively with Waid previously on Superman: Birthright, I expected better.

Still, Yu might just need to find his footing, and I'm enough of a Waid fan to let the art slide for the time being. This could potentially be the start of Waid's greatest run since the Flash.

(Further incentive for skeptics: in issue #2, Hulk will go up against that smug bastard Iron Man.)

MY RATING, OUT OF FIVE SENSOR GIRLS: [Sensor Girl] [Sensor Girl] [Sensor Girl] [Sensor Girl]

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Hulk smash Iron Man? I could go for that.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I have huge hopes for Waid & Yu's Hulk. Waid's Daredevil and Rocketeer stories lately have been a high point of his incredible career.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Waid's writing the Rocketeer, too? I'll have to check that out. Thanks, Cobie.

--------------------

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
I have real problems with Waid's Hulk.

Firstly, apart from That Loeb Run and the Hulkless year focusing on Banner, we've had the same Hulk since Peter David's second run back in 2004(!), the Green Scar, consistency allowing for character development, which Waid appears to have thrown out for Mute Prop Hulk ala Bruce Jones.

Secondly, Banner's spent a month trying to cure himself and decided it was impossible? For one thing, he JUST MADE SUCH A CURE IN THE LAST ARC. Second, he decided not to use it for the reason Greg Pak hinted at back when he was depowered and Jason Aaron confirmed - Banner needs the Hulk. For all his anger issues, Hulk's the sane one in the duo, and he keeps Banner on the level in turn. Third, *HULK* has been the one who's had trouble with *BANNER* - keeping him suppressed on Sakaar, and after an uneasy alliance, deciding he'd had enough and getting Dr Doom to chop him out (for a while, at least)

Typical Waid, just like when he ruined Johnny Storm for years...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
DEADPOOL # 1

LOVED. IT! Very amsuing, very fun, over the top in a good way. Dinosaurs, evil dead mystic zombie presidents, Thor being flustered. The kind of fun title DC is SORELY missing now. This seems to always happen... when DC takes things in far too serious a direction, Marvel is the one that comes out with the fun comic (I strongly suspect FF will go in this direction too). Oh, and that art? Excellent. A fella by the name of Tony Moore who you may recall from THE WALKING DEAD issues 1-6.

FANTASTIC FOUR # 1

Really enjoyed it! The setup for the next year looks to be fascinating with a rather large cast of supporting players that I look forward to meeting, many who appear to steeped deep in F4 lore! It's kind-of like a F4 version of Xavier's school. A much more serious tone than DEADPOOL to be sure, but not without its lighthearted sillier moments too. JUST how I like it!

It's fun to be excited about Marvel comics again...!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.