Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel NOW... how many titles will you add? (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Marvel NOW... how many titles will you add?
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yay Peebs! Loving your reviews.

I was on the fence about JiM, as I love Kathryn Immonen but Sif is not my favorite warrior woman. In the end I passed. Sounds like I made the right choice.

Re: John Buscema -- one of my all-time favorites. In addition to what's already been mentioned, there's also the Thor vs. Hercules trade which reprints the hard-to-find Thor Annual #5, a flashback to an Asgard/Olympus war in ancient times, beautifully rendered by Buscema (it was originally supposed to be the first issue of a Thor quarterly, but when plans for that fell through, they ran the story in Thor Annual #5.)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
That sounds fantastic! and perfect for John Buscema!

Yeah, I was quite a bit more excited at the prospect of a Sif book than I was after reading it ... it may get better.

(also, sorry I totally posted a Wonder Woman review in this thread ... oops. edited out!)

[ November 25, 2012, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
DEADPOOL 2 was even better than 1. There is a definite Giffenesque feel, but I think it may lean more toward THE HECKLER than AMBUSH BUG here. Alls I can say is, if issue 3 is as good as 1 and 2, this title will officially be in my Top 5. IT'S THAT EASY. Just make a comic that doesn't suck.

Yes, the violence is a smidge over the top but the bulk of it is directed at Deadpool himself, who endures it with a wit unseen since... well, The Heckler. And the violence is certainly not intended to be scary or freaky, more in the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner vein. It's meant to be amusing and to me, it is. Some mgiht have a problem but I grew up watching Bugs Bunny so maybe I'm desensitized. [Wink]

And the humor? Oh yes. Very well done and much missed in comic book form. I will be posting my single favorite gag tomorrow at Lash's Super Comic Book Fandango on Facebook. Drop by, check it out and give the page a "LIKE". [Smile]

So to make this long story even longer with a useless summary, I am totes loving DEADPOOL right now and may in fact seek out those stories Fanny referred to previously. This may already be my favorite comic currently published. Based on issues 1-2 it is certainly the type and style of comic I have been missing for awhile. We'll see how # 3 goes.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I got Deadpool 1 and 2.

2 was laugh out loud funny many times. I don't usually exclaim while reading a book, in fact before Deadpool #2 I could count on one hand how many times I've exclaimed out loud while reading a book.

It's still a dark horse for me though. Deadpool seems a bit too irrelevant to his world for me to care much ... I am thinking I need a little bit of real plot along with the funny.

How can I resist issue three with Wong and Dr. Strange though?

I'm loving deadpool's chubby Shield liason! She seems much more like a stereotypical government employee rather than a super-spy. (she complains about having to work late or something. haha!)

Deadpool #1

[Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El]

Deadpool #2

[Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

The gore is a bit of a turn off but ... since its Deadpool and its obviously campy ... it is almost excusable.

Click Here For A Spoiler except for the killing of elephants ... I thought the elephant with a hole in its ear was going to be a sidekick!

Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, #2 had me in hysterics. One of the best parts was, "Will Lucas sue me if I'm talking to a blue ghost named Ben?" [Big Grin]

Also Click Here For A SpoilerI hope Ben Franklin's ghost will be Deadpool's sidekick for a while.

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Oh Peebs I am so glad you enjoyed it!! C'mon, there's some plot there, under all the wacky!

And Jay-- YES!!! This MUST happen... I've grown accustomed to his skirt-chasing ways [Big Grin]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Man, you guys have me pumped to buy Deadpool! I'm going to tomorrow to get like 6 weeks worth.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I can't imagine that you wouldn't enjoy them, Cobie! Let us know!

ALL-NEW X-MEN # 1

I was actually kind of dreading it but it turned out to be very interesting. I am SO looking forward to the rest of the originals meeting their current-day selves. This has an opportunity to make a VERY BIG statement on the state of comics today, I hope Bendis doesn't fumble it. I'm definitely onboard for awhile anyway, until it goes in the crapper.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I'm definitely onboard for awhile anyway, until it goes in the crapper.

Ha ha [LOL]

Glad you enjoyed it, Lash, and I agree there is potential for a great commentary to be made about the state of comics today.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked All New X-Men #1, but it seemed odd that the young'uns looked like they were from the 60's. It'll be funny if in #2 we see that they were getting dressed for a retro dance or something, but while the visual highlighted the contrast between the young and current teams, it doesn't make sense. I know it's insane to think these kids were probably plucked from the late 90's but, yeah ....

And how was Beast so easily able to travel through time? That seemed totally glossed over unless there was a time portal in the basement of the mansion that I didn't know about. And if Beast could do that, why not just go to Scott just before AvX and warn him about what was to come?

I like how they presented the present as something that does actually seem like a horrible alternate future, but imo, they shold've gone one further and start this whole thing from the young X-Men's POV. Establish their world, then have them thrust into our nightmarish present so that we see how far we've come from their perspective. There's tons of room here for meta-criticism of the comics themselves so I hope they take advantage of that.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Marvel outnumbered DC in this week's pull (which only had 5 titles)

UNCANNY AVENGERS 2, ALL-NEW X-MEN 2 and the long-awaited FF 1!

Poor DC only had TEEN TITANS and AQUAMAN...

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Will be getting Deadpool 1 next week, on Lashies recommendation.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Oooh I think you will like it, go ahead and grab # 2 because it is even FUNNIER! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Lash, Cobie, the first two volumes of Deadpool & Cable Ultimate Collection are worth checking out. Thanks to Fabian Nicieza's subversive sense of humor, Deadpool became, dare I say it, the Marvel Universe version of Ambush Bug for a while. Avoid the third and final volume though, because the series did eventually go off the rails.

Well, it went off the rails because it lost one of the title characters to a crossover (and that Cable series did soooo well [Roll Eyes] ). #40 remains the issue where the sheer bitterness of the writer at having his setup systematically destroyed by another book (Mike Carey's X-Men) has crept through into the writing most clearly for me.

I shilled the series a good few times here before that point. It was a good book when it was allowed to be.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.