Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » R.I.P. Joe Kubert

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: R.I.P. Joe Kubert
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I am shocked that the passing of Joe Kubert has resulted in only one brief related post in the Shoutbox!

Kubert was a class act, the consumate professional, a visual stylist beyond compare, he gave back to the industry by nurturing generations of future talent, and he expanded into more ambitious fields of sequential storytelling at the same time that most of his generation was going into retirement.

Let's please have some more words about this great man!

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
One of the alltime greats!

I'm not the kind of person to get too sad when someone whose lived such a wonderful life passes away. Instead, I'm more apt to celebrate what was truly one of the most magnficent careers in comics. Kubert produced breathtaking work decade after decade...right up until the very end.

Not to mention, his incredible work running the Joe Kubert School, and of course his two incredibly gifted sons.

My favorite work of his is his war comics work, and the run of covers he did for DC in the late 60's - mid 70's. There was such a gritty, honest tension in his work. He could mix dynamic poses one issue with something poignant and quiet the next issue.

From all I've heard, he was a great guy too, who liked giving new talent a chance and who was an advocate for utilizing new technology and tools.

He ranks right alongside the other MAJOR greats: Eisner, Kirby, etc.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It was great that he was still active and producing great stuff right up until the end! In fact I could swear there was something announced fairly recently (something with Andy?). I hope he was able to complete it, or if not, they will publish it anyway.

Terrific, detailed and distinctive style and someone who was willing to teach others thru his groundbreaking art school! He'll be missed, but it's hard not to celebrate a life well-lived.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Definitely a classic.

Make war no more.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
My all-time favorite Joe Kubert artwork was when DC got the rights to Tarzan in the 1970s and Kubert did the adaptation of the first Tarzan Of The Apes book, following it up with The Return Of Tarzan.

I had never been much interested in the ape man before that, which is not surprising seeing as the old black and white Johnny Weismuller movies were pretty much the sum of my exposure to the character.

Kubert, though, opened up a whole new world for me, turning me into a major fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs in the process. For that I will always be grateful.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Shocked and saddened. I always checked out whatever he worked on...because he was that good.

The industry lost a legend.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Legendary no doubt. I made a tribute post to my JSA Facebook page Sunday:

-

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I met him once. He autographed my 1050 Years In The Future trade paperback.

It's pretty sad, actually. That makes two people who've autographed it that are now dead.

Sigh. And he was getting a miniseries from DC this year.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RED-001
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED-001   Email RED-001         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! Another comics legend is gone!!! [Frown]
Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.