Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » New 52 finally gets a sci-fi title! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New 52 finally gets a sci-fi title!
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
It'll be called Threshold, and feature new 52 versions of some of my favorite DCU sci-fi characters, such as Star Hawkins and Space Cabby.

I hope I like the new take on these characters, but I'm just excited that the genre won't be neglected anymore. Since the new 52 began, they've shown a willingness to branch out into non-superhero genres, but two waves of expansion in, they still hadn't done any sci-fi. I'm very happy with this announcement.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... sounds intriguing!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
A humorous take by Giffen? A must-add to my pull-list.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Another to ad to my minuscule one as well.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Click for fullsize image

THRESHOLD #1
Written by KEITH GIFFEN
Art by TOM RANEY
Backup story art by SCOTT KOLINS
Cover by HOWARD PORTER and JOHN DELL
1:100 Variant cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT
On sale JANUARY 16 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.
• Introducing THE HUNTED, spinning directly out of this month’s GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS ANNUAL #1!
• Featuring the New 52 gallery of space heroes: The Star Rovers, Star Hawkins, Space Cabbie, Tom Tomorrow, Captain K’Rot, and Star Ranger!
• Also introducing Jediah Caul, a disgraced Green Lantern stripped of his power ring, who is hunted for sport on a televised reality show!•
• LARFLEEZE steals the spotlight in his first ongoing series of backup stories! What happens when Larfleeze, the ultimate hoarder, is robbed...of everything!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Captain K'Rot, eh?

I'm thinking he's likely to be a rabbit-like alien?

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... I'm not sure I approve of blending funny animal comics into sci fi comics.
Chaim Mattis Keller

Was that meant tongue-in-cheek? Or were you genuinely not aware that Marvel's current Guardians of the Galaxy team includes Rocket Raccoon, and has been quite the smash hit?

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

Eryk Davis Ester

Rocket Raccoon was always primarily a sci fi character, though, wasn't he? As opposed to a super-hero parody like Captain Carrot?
Chaim Mattis Keller

He was never a parody, but he was originally intended as a one-off joke of a character, just for the absurdity of a funny-animal appearing creature acting serious. Heck, his name is a parody of a Beatles song, and his early adventures were all about "Gideon's Bible." Sort of like Ch'p the Green Lantern. Marvel decided to give him a more serious treatment, and it worked well. If there's to be a new 52 re-imagining of Captain Carrot as an extraterrestrial super-rabbit, I can see Keith Giffen making it work the way RR works on GotG.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
For a, possibly, more direct comparator I seem to recall a large green bunny in Marvels Star Wars series back in the day which did not turn out too bad.
From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
If DC wants to make a slightly more serious take on Captain Carrot, I'm pretty sure that Giffen, who is more notable for taking somewhat serious characters and turning them into one-note jokes, would be the last person to call upon...
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Giffen can go both ways on that one...at least in my opinion. he turned the Suns into a joke for a while, and then totally made them badasses in the 5YL stuff.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

In principle, Giffen on a modernized "Earth-C" sendup of the entire DCnU sounds all kind of brilliant.

"A more serious take on Captain Carrot" sounds, to my ear, about as wrongheaded as putting Daffy Duck in the JLA.

That said, we know next to nothing about it at this point, so I'll wait and see how it turns out.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
If there is ANYONE who can handle a planet of "funny animal"-type characters semiseriously, I would think it would be Giffen. That guy has talent, yo. This is well-documented.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.