Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The other WTF covers. (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The other WTF covers.
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
The Golden Age thread is chockablock with poor art, bizarre anatomy, unintentionally (?) suggestive elements, general nuttiness. WTF, right?

Then there are the other ones. Every so often I run across a cover that seems like it should "make sense" but I can't quite work out what the artist was trying to convey. It probably comes down to one of three things:

• cultural references no longer commonly understood
  • poorly realized situation/gag
  • 99 out of 100 people understand it just fine (I am the 1%!)

I'll post 'em, you guys help me out. Deal?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
<spits in hand. extends to shake with LYL>
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Can we just exclude all Liefeld covers right off the bat and accept that they are in a class all their own?
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
what category would that be.

I can only think of really bad things to say.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Better left unsaid methinks. [Wink]
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
 -

Grand Comics Database page for issue
Full issue at the Digital Comic Museum. (Cover doesn't seem to be related to contents.)

The sign"definitely references service flags

The Wikipedia disambiguation page for Eight-ball says that it's "U.S. military jargon for a soldier often in trouble"

OK, that's sort of making sense. But how does the guard house play into it? I've heard of standing guard as punishment, but that sounds pretty plush when compared to a frozen trench on the Russian front*. (The comic is dated January 1946 which probably means it was written months earlier, possibly even when the war was on.)

*thank you, Colonel Klink

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The only thing I can think of is she is a mother who doesnt want her son going off to war and is pretending he's crazy?

8 ball = "Section 8", which is when the army dismisses you for cracking up.

"he's in the guard house" = meaning, that's where they'd lock up a crazy person? I'm unsure of that one. "We locked him in the guard house" *sounds* like it could be a recurring phrase in the 40's, but I cant pinpoint where I've heard it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Now I cant tell if the man is a soldier or some milkman / trash collector mash-up.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

There we go. I'd only been thinking of a guard house as a guard BOOTH (at an entrance of a camp) but guardhouse can mean JAIL in the military.
Dev - Em
KIA

Where's the guys other leg? In the can?
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Any bakers in the house?

-

What the F is in her left hand, and what the F is she doing with her right hand?

That could be a special kind of cake pan, I guess. I'm no expert in the field.

As for the right hand, that sort of looks like testing a cake for 'doneness' with a toothpick, but it doesn't work. First, if that is NOT the pan but the actual cake, well, shiny blue/black cake? That could be explained by poor touch-up work to the photo. BUT...who turns a cake out of a pan and THEN tests it?

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
It's burnt to a crisp and bent the toothpick. Anyway, that's what I "see" when I look at it.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Angdar Fel
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angdar Fel   Email Angdar Fel         Edit/Delete Post     
Not a good dating tip from Van Johnson.
Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

NO ONE holds a cake like that to test it, but I'll ignore that because the scene is exaggerated for the camera.

Also, if your cake is burned SO BAD that it is blue/black, there's no way you'd test it. You'd know it by the smell. Again, exaggeration for the camera -- fine.

It's a photo so I expect "reality" (as opposed to something in a drawing that doesn't work) but of course they didn't burn a cake just to take this picture. So what IS that prop in the model's hand?

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Jeepers! She's just a young, inexperienced teenager! She clearly has no idea what she's doing.

Hence her taking dating advice from clearly gay actors!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.