Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The other WTF covers. (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The other WTF covers.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah...I'm at a loss on this one. I think Eryk might be right on the pretty bare extent of the joke.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
 -

Again, is there a joke here?

Going by the pitcher's stance I think the ball is still mid-pitch, and MAYBE the gag is that it's called a strike before the batter can reasonably swing. "Funny"!

What are the signals the ump is making?
Is STRIKE ONE cover text? If it is dialogue, who is saying it?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
It looks to me like the batter is disagreeing with the call, and the umpire is making a fist, getting ready to deck the batter. If that is the case, I think it is kinda strange that the umpire is making the fist with his left hand, unless he is a lefty.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
If the gag is that it's being called mid-pitch (which isn't a bad gag), then you'd think they would've shown the ball mid-flight. As well as making more obvious that "Strike One" is the umpire's dialogue.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Since the umpire's right arm is in an impossible position (try it - you can't put your arm at that angle behind you with your thumb down), it's probably just bad, rushed, art.

It occurred to me that the pitcher may have called "strike one" to distract the batter, and the batter may be objecting to this (possibly even, in a never-in-real-life moment, mistaking it for the umpire calling it). Or it may just be the logo being in the way of the call being in the more logical place.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Ooh, I like the pitcher-calling-it theory...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

...a brief break in the WTFery....

You went and read Punch 16 didn't you? Cover to cover. And you wondered who bought the tie.

Click for fullsize image

v This guy.
Click for fullsize image

the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
Splash Waters?? Really?!?

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I like how the cop is just enjoying seeing a guy get reamed out by a hot woman in a fancy dress. Preparing to sweep in?

And that's mighty formal dress wear for the middle of the day.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

So, apparently IW specialized in basically illegally reprinting other companies comics!

So, now I'm wondering if "Splash Waters" was originally published by someone else. [Hmmm?]

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, but will you kiss me in the dark, Baby?

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
So, now I'm wondering if "Splash Waters" was originally published by someone else. [Hmmm?]

Century Publications (a Canadian company) - 1946:

Click for fullsize image

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Century was part of Superior Publishers Limited: "A Canadian publisher who mostly reprinted American comics from the same time period. Also published a number of original series that were distributed in the United States."

Haven't found info about a comic titled Splash Waters or other mention of a story (in an anthology book) with him as a character, although we know it exists. No sign of his identical cousin Pound Sand either.

Baseball cover still mysterious too.

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

GCD page for Full of Fun. It's clear FoF reprints the story Exy posted. GCD notes: "Most likely Bernard Baily Studio material from the mid-40s."
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

-
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.