Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » MTV's Spider-Man

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MTV's Spider-Man
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Who's been watching this? It's definitely aiming at fans of the movie as it follows their continuity and also aiming at older audiences than "Teen Titans".

I think it's really good in terms of the Spider-Man and action sequences. However, it fails where CGI has always come up short -- human characters. I don't mean that it needs to be "realistic", but conventional cell animation has long been able to convey character, emotion and human movement a lot more effectively. Maybe they should base their human animation on actual actors i.e. "Waking Life". The human interactions still seem pretty stiff and computer controlled.

The writing is ok -- they have good quips for Spider-Man and they're presenting Peter's relationships as meaningful rather than secondary to the action. However, so far all the action that Spider-Man gets involved in is directly connected to his personal life. Not every episode has to involve Peter and his friends -- it'll get too unbelievbable that his circle of friends are always involved with this kind of stuff.

Still, all in all it's more adult than "Titans" and the animation is still pretty cool, if lacking in certain areas.

[ July 20, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3003 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Like I've said elsewhere with my other shows, I've got it waiting in line on Tivo, just haven't had a chance to watch it yet. But I already know I'll like it more than Teen Titans just because the animation on TT is a turn off to me.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I saw an ep last night. I thought the animation was quite good at times (the best sequence being when the helicopter was shining the light down on Spiday and the dinosaur-dude...)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
It was okay. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for the moment. I didn't care for Niel Patrck Harris's voice work on Peter Parker, which surprises me, because I LOVE Neil Patrick Harris.

The show's style reminded me of a cross between Aeon Flux and Reboot. I'll definitely keep watching to see what happens with it!

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I saw a little bit and thought it was OK -- but part of that might have been the fact that I'm only a lukewarm Spider-Man fan at best.

Also, I thought Brian Michael Bendis's Goldfish/Jinx stuff was pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of him generally.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I completely forgot that it was on! I really need to set my VCR when I first hear about things [Smile]

[ July 21, 2003, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Princess Crujectra ]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I stumble across it by accident Saturday night while I was trying to get Maddy to go to sleep. I caught the end of one ep, and fell asleep before the other one ended. It seemed pretty decent though I have to ask, does anything happen during the daytime? It was all dark, neon lit nighttime cityscapes, which looked cool but I also thought the sequence from the movie in which Spidey and the Green Goblin fought during the afternoon was good because it broke away from the typical superhero "everything happens at night" mold.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
This is a bit of a tangent, but the "everything happens at night" thing is one of the things that I thought doomed the american "Godzilla" movie. It was all dark and raining all the time which took away the visual thrill of Godzilla - a huge-ass lizard stomping through a cityscape trashing buildings in its wake. There were more flaws to that movie, but I won't get into my thoughts on that now...
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.