Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Boomerang (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Boomerang
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I was soooo excited when my cable company first got the Cartoon Network. I was like "Oboy! Cartoons, 24 hours a day!" Well, then I looked at the line up. Dexter's Laboratory? Power Puff Girls? Courage the Cowardly Dog? What are these cartoons? And why are they all played like 12 times a day? Well, I was mostly disappointed by that network.

I just signed up for digital cable, and included in that is Boomerang. Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Yesterday I watched:

Valley of the Dinosaurs!
Josie and the Pussycats!
Godzilla!
Superfriends!
Galactic Guardians: The Super-Powers Team!
The Arabian Knights!
Thundarr the Barbarian!
The Herculoids!
Goldie Gold and Action Jack! (well, okay, that one was kinda dorky, but I can't believe that I used to watch it!)

And tonight I plan to watch the Fantastic Four and Jonny Quest!

I was so happy I almost did a little dance around my bedroom [Smile]

Kids today think they got it so good. Give me 70s/80s cartoons in a heartbeat, baby! [Smile]

Now if I can just get them to play "Drak Pack" and "Tarzan and the Super Seven" I'll be all set [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ohh I want Boomerang too! What cable company are you using? We're finally getting converted over to digital but no Boomerang, just Cartoon Network.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
We have MetroCast in this area, although there is also TimeWarner Cable and Adelphia throughout Maine. The one thing I'm disappointed about is that we still don't have TVLand. You'd think that EVERYONE would have that one [Frown]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
TV Land will be included in our new basic package, which will be fun. I'll have to call our company (Castle Cable) and find out why they don't have Boomerang in their offerings.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Princess !!

you mentioned getting "BBC AMERICA" ??

have you watched anything on it, yet .... and what is on it ??

i'll tell you whats good, etc !!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Well, I watched Keeping Up Appearances the other night, but we used to get that on PBS, so I was familiar with it (I love Hyacinth).

I also watched Changing Rooms (I love the American version, Trading Spaces, so I figured I would like it too).

I watched part of The Office on Sunday, but I wasn't really getting into it. I saw that there was an Eastenders weekend recap on, but I didn't watch it... not sure if I wanna get hooked on a daily soap.

I saw a few minutes of some kinda talk show last night, with Cher on it. It wasn't So Graham Norton... I can't recall what it was called.

I also saw part of some show that involved a guy that was debating asking his girlfriend to marry him, and his ex-girlfriend was at some party and for some reason was nekkid except for a coat, and the guy's current girlfriend was pretending to be married to some guy, apparently to impress an old friend of his? I dunno... sound familiar? [Wink]

I haven't really had a chance to really look through the lineup to see what's on. I know that there's a show called Jonathan Creek that my brother likes, but I haven't tried it yet.

You Brits are certainly more liberal when it comes to TV. Cher was telling a story about being at a party with Salvadore Dali, and she was holding some kinda toy vibrating fish, and he told her that it felt better if you put it on the vagina. I just can't see that happening on Oprah [Wink]

--------------------

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I adore "Keeping Up Appearances," it leaves me in stitches. It's a tie between Hyacinth and Onslow, frankly, as to who cracks me up more.

Also "As Time Goes By," with (now Dame) Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer, and its witty writing about parted lovers who reconnect after four decades.

They're shown one after the other on Orange County's PBS station every Friday night, then on L.A.'s PBS station every Saturday night! Yowsah!

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

My other favorite British comedy that we got on PBS was Are You Being Served?, although I have only learned recently that it was called something else in the UK. Mollie Sugden is a treasure, and her run as Mrs Slocum has got to be one of the funniest characters ever, in my opinion. Although it's nearly a tie between her and John Inman's Mr Humphries. Those two crack me up.

Unfortunately, we haven't had AYBS on PBS here for over two years. I miss it. Even though I've seen every episode several times, it never fails to entertain and amuse me [Smile]

--------------------

Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Princess Crujectra:

You Brits are certainly more liberal when it comes to TV. Cher was telling a story about being at a party with Salvadore Dali, and she was holding some kinda toy vibrating fish, and he told her that it felt better if you put it on the vagina. I just can't see that happening on Oprah [Wink]

I think that I may just remember this ancedote for all time. My only question, is how did Dali know??? I didn't think he HAD a vagina! And how does it feel if you put the vibrating fish on the penis, I wonder?

[ July 22, 2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Kid Prime ]

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

From what I remember, Sonny, Cher and Francis Ford Coppala were invited to dinner with the Dalis. When they got there, there were people all over the place in various states of undress, whom Sonny and Francis watched while pretending to look at book about Dali's paintings.

Cher, determined not to look at the nekkid people, reached down in her chair and found a toy fish, with a tube and a hand pump attached to it. She found that working the hand pump made the fish flop around, which she found amusing. Dali spoke to her for the first time that evening, informing her that it felt even better when placed on the vagina. Cher then put the toy down, afraid of where it might have been, while Sonny and Francis were laughing hysterically behind the book [Smile]

They went to dinner shortly afterwards in a nice restaurant, and apparently Dali's wife was getting too close for comfort to Cher. Cher told her if she didn't back off she was going to punch her. Ten minutes into the meal, the Dalis excused themselves, claiming to have forgotten a previous engagement. They then got up, walked over two or three tables, and sat down with other people [Smile]

--------------------

Spellbinder
Founder

Oh, btw... I just checked the BBC America website, and the show she was on was called Parkinson.

--------------------

Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
Also "As Time Goes By," with (now Dame) Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer, and its witty writing about parted lovers who reconnect after four decades.

I've seen this a couple of times and it's pretty amusing. And Geoffrey Palmer has the most... distinctive cheeks...
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Princess Crujectra:
I also saw part of some show that involved a guy that was debating asking his girlfriend to marry him, and his ex-girlfriend was at some party and for some reason was nekkid except for a coat, and the guy's current girlfriend was pretending to be married to some guy, apparently to impress an old friend of his? I dunno... sound familiar?

That was "Coupling" -- it's a pretty good show, imo. It's basically the British version of "Friends" which is actually being adapted into a new show on NBC this fall (talk about intellectual ping pong).

"The Office" is also very good - it's got that "Larry Sanders" kinda tone where the jokes aren't in the punchlines, but lie within the behaviour (British spelling since we're talking BBC) of the characters.

Way back when, I used to watch a bunch of British shows --- "Dr. Who", "Blake's 7", "Monty Python's Flying Circus", "Dempsey and Makepeace" etc...

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh yeah, I forgot -- speaking of "Coupling", "Friends" actually ripped off one of their plots this past season (the one where Chandler finds a tape of Monica and her ex and when they see it, it turns out he taped over her).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

NBC has actually been running ads for Coupling starting here in the new season. I don't know how much it'll vary from the Brit version but I'll probably give it a look.

I also LOVE AYBS and AYBSA. And how could you all forget Faulty Towers? Cleese and Company created one of the mose enduring comedies ever with that series.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.