Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » More Obscure Musical Memories from '79

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Obscure Musical Memories from '79
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
These were actual songs that made the Top 40 in 1979, but didn't rise very high. It goes without saying that they didn't make the year-end lists.

But without these songs and others like them, I wouldn't have discovered the length and breadth of rock 'n' roll in those days. My local station played Top 40 hits, but not all of the Top 40. If not for Casey Kasem's show, I might never have discovered the world beyond Donna Summer and The Bee Gees.

How many do YOU remember?

SUCH A WOMAN, Tycoon

DON'T EVER WANNA LOSE YA, New England

GIRL OF MY DREAMS, Bram Tchaikovsky

SATURDAYNIGHT, Herman Brood & His Wild Romance

I GOT MY MIND MADE UP (YOU CAN GET IT GIRL), Instant Funk

HOLD ON, Ian Gomm

TRAIN TRAIN, Blackfoot*

GET USED TO IT, Roger Voudouris**

COME TO ME, France Joli***

VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR, The Buggles****

DON'T YOU WRITE HER OFF, McGuinn, Clark & Hillman *****

* Blackfoot is hardly obscure, but "Train Train" was derailed at # 38. Criminal!

** Vouduris claimed that he would be bigger than Elvis and the Beatles combined. This was his only hit.

*** Joli was the first French Canadian to reach the Top 40. She was 17 at the time.

**** Made history by becoming the first video aired on MTV, nearly two years later.

***** Three former members of The Byrds.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The only one I know is Video Killed the Radio Star, through the MTV connection and also through the Yes connection (the Buggles were actually absorbed into Yes in 1980).

Then again, I was 3 in 1979.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

Wha..?! I never would have guessed you were a Bi-Centennial baby EDE. And I never would have believed I was 10 years your senior.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm older than both of you. I was 15 going on 16 when these songs were out. In two months, I will enter that coveted and dreaded realm known as the Forties. Ugh! This will either be the beginning of the rest of my life, or the end of something.

But it does mean that my musical memories are longer than some, and I get to regale (bore?) you with more lists, such as:

SONGS THAT NEVER MADE THE TOP 40, BUT SHOULD HAVE (1979-80)

CHILDREN OF THE SUN, Billy Thorpe

THIS BEAT GOES ON/SWITCHIN' TO GLIDE, The Kings

FOR YOU, Manfred Mann's Earth Band

I GOT YOU, Split Enz

BORROWED TIME, Styx

GIRL WITH THE HUNGRY EYES, Jefferson Starship

SINCE YOU BEEN GONE, Rainbow

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:

I GOT MY MIND MADE UP (YOU CAN GET IT GIRL), Instant Funk

Got my mind made up
Come on you can get it
Get it girl
Any time
SAY WHAT?!?![/b]
Tonight is fine!

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
I also know Come To Me and Video Killed The Radio Star (who doesn't?). I don't remember them from when they were first released, though.
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
The Buggles were ace! VKTRS was one of the first singles I ever bought and on the B-side was a song called Kid Dynamo, which of course I had to make up a character to fit that name - can't remember what hewas like now though....
From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

Wha..?! I never would have guessed you were a Bi-Centennial baby EDE. And I never would have believed I was 10 years your senior.
Would you believe mrs. matlock was born on the 4th of July, 1976? I really have no excuse to ever forget her birthday or age, in the classic sitcom style.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

you rule!!!!!
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
GIRL OF MY DREAMS, Bram Tchaikovsky

TRAIN TRAIN, Blackfoot*

VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR, The Buggles****

DON'T YOU WRITE HER OFF, McGuinn, Clark & Hillman *****

The ones above are the only ones I recall. I like 'em all, but "Don't You Write Her Off" is seriously damaged by the soft disco production.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:

[b]

I GOT YOU, Split Enz

These were all extremely popular on the radio where I grew up. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought they were huge hits nationally.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by LABRADORIAN:
quote:

you rule!!!!!
Yeah, I know. [Big Grin]

Too bad the rest of the world didn't. "Since You Been Gone" reached only # 57.

Unavoidable trivia moment: That song was written by Russ Ballard, who was perhaps best known as the voice and songwriter of Argent's only hit, "Hold Your Head Up," in 1972. One of Ballard's other successes as a songwriter was Ace Frehley's "New York Groove," 1978.

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Santana had a big hit with Ballard's "Winning". And, IIRC, he also wrote "Liar", which was covered by Three Dog Night.

Did "God Gave Rock And Roll To You" not chart for Argent, then?

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
quote:

[b]

I GOT YOU, Split Enz

These were all extremely popular on the radio where I grew up. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought they were huge hits nationally.
Indeed. I remember listening to AT40, waiting for some these to debut, but they never did. I still hear most of them on classic rock stations, occasionally. I think "Children Of the Sun," in particular, has lived on longer than many of the songs that actually reached the Top 40 that year.

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
Santana had a big hit with Ballard's "Winning". And, IIRC, he also wrote "Liar", which was covered by Three Dog Night.

Did "God Gave Rock And Roll To You" not chart for Argent, then?

Nope. At least it didn't reach the Top 40.

Ballard was quite a ubiquitous songwriter for many years. I had forgotten about "Liar," and I didn't know "Winning" was his.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.