Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Other than comics!

I recently finished Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar, which a close friend of mine recommended. I've liked Plath's poetry but found it a bit dense, so I was a little apprehensive to read an entire novel by her. Much to my surprise, I found The Bell Jar to be very readable and engaging. The writing is vivid yet down-to-earth. You really get a good sense for Plath's genius and conflict in a way that doesn't come across quite so directly from her poetry.

I've started on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which I borrowed from another friend (after he read it through three times). I voluntarily self-spoiled the ending, but I'm still looking forward to finishing the book.

I'm also planning to get started on Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections, which a number of folks have praised.

What are you currently reading, and what are some of your favorite books of all time?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reading John Donne. It's pretty incredible.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm reading the newest IVR manual and going through Avaya texts while trying to teach myself database programming for specialized reports on our Avaya e-mail system. I just don't know why this stuff isn't a Top 10 best-seller. [Wink]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished Jess Nevin's annotations for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Next up is either Paradise Lost or a Doctor Who book, I haven't decided yet.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished Treason by Ann Coulter. She had some interesting points if you can get through some of her elementary name-calling.

[ August 10, 2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Super Lad Kid ]

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I was trying to read "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt. I loved her first book, "The Secret History". Unfortunately, "The Little Friend" was unreadable. I finished about 400 pages of the drivel and had to sadly admit that I was defeated. While attempting to read it, however, I did read 5 novels by a Canadian science fiction writer, Robert Sawyer. Talk about relief - this guy knows plot, pacing and science. I would wake up early each morning just to read some pages before getting up for work. The books I read were, "Hominids", "Humans", "Flash Forward", "Calculating God" and "The Terminal Experiment". This is all in the last two months. Very fun.

Recently, I've read, "Attonement" and "Life of Pi". I highly recommend "Life of Pi."

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice...

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
I was trying to read "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt. I loved her first book, "The Secret History". Unfortunately, "The Little Friend" was unreadable.

That's too bad. I also really enjoyed "The Secret History" when I read it -- wow, was it really nine years ago? I was thinking of picking up "The Little Friend," but I'll probably hold off on that now... there are too many other books that I'd rather get to first.

I haven't heard of Robert Sawyer, but his writing sounds interesting -- I'll keep an eye out for it the next time I'm at the bookstore.

Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
I am currently reading "Masters of Midnight" which is a collection of short stories all based on vampirism. It is considered gay erotic fiction, and I've enjoyed it very much.
From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I just saw the movie "Whale Rider" and now I want to read the book! I'm also interested in Nersesian's new one "Chinese Takeout". I'm in the middle of Tisbe Nissen's "Out of the Girl's Room and Into the Night" (we were in highschool together).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked The Corrections. If you come from a messed-up family and gotten over it, it's pretty funny.

I'm reading The Best Democracy Money Can Buy by Greg Palast, some short stories by Mercedes Lackey and Baudolino by Umberto Eco. I usually have a few books going at the same time.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Looks That Kill Lad
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Looks That Kill Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
The last book I read was Lord of the Flies a few weeks ago, it's even more powerful than the film's.
From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."

I'm not a Harry junkie, but I do enjoy the books. This one had its moments, but I think J.K. easily could have knocked 100 or so pages out. And I know a lot of teens go through the whole angst thing, and Harry had reason to more than a lot, but there were just too many times I wanted to slap him to truly enjoy the book. It's a must for "Potter" fans, though, and has some significant developments.

Eric

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
I was trying to read "The Little Friend" by Donna Tartt. I loved her first book, "The Secret History". Unfortunately, "The Little Friend" was unreadable. I finished about 400 pages of the drivel

Recently, I've read, "Attonement" and "Life of Pi". I highly recommend "Life of Pi."

I too am struggling to get through The Little Friend . What a letdown after The Secret History which I highly enjoyed. I only got through 200 pages of it though. Life of Pi is a must read (a Booker Prize Winner and Canadian!). I've had so many people give mixed reviews, but the ending is brilliant. This is a book that is sure to generate discussion among anybody has read it.

I'm currently reading a work by another Canadian writer, Diane Schoemperlen and her Our Lady of the Lost and Found; so far, it's a witty story about the notion of Mary, mother of Jesus, finding refuge at a writer's home because she's, quite frankly, tired of pulling miracles and making appearances all over the world and she thought stopping someplace in Canada would be nice because we have a "reputation for being quiet, polite, decent, and rather reserved".

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm always interested to see movie adaptations of books. The Harry Potter movies so far have been, I've thought, pretty good screen adaptations. I know I'm lagging behind in finishing the books (midway through Goblet and just barely started Order, despite not having finished the previous one), but at least it'll be a while before I'm in danger of having to watch the movie without first having read through the corresponding book...

In the meantime, I'm in danger of having to watch Cold Mountain, starring Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, and Renee Zellweger, before I finish the book... it's been OK, but just a bit slow in parts... I've had to put it down several times over the past year while I temporarily moved on to other books...

[ August 12, 2003, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Stu ]

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.