Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Bringing Down The House

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bringing Down The House
Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
Watched this movie TWICE this weekend. Its HYSTERICAL. I LOVE IT. Queen Latifah is awesome and Steve Martin is great, but Eugene Levy KILLED me in this movie.

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I concur with Caleb! A great movie! I saw it twice in theaters and wouldn't mind spending cash again to see it. Very hilarious show.
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
So is it worth a DVD purchase? Caroline has been bugging me to see it and since the last DVD purchase was a 2 disc Monty Python Live set for me I would get this one for her if it is worth owning.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a HUGE Steve Martin fan, but missed this in the theaters (whadda ya want, I got 4 kids under 7, any movie we see in the theaters has "Disney" in the title or Spy Kids saving the world).

Anyway, Bek and I rented BDtH tonight, and didn't get a chance to watch it yet... well there's always tomorrow.

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
It's good? Really? It seemed like another "uptight white guy needs to get down and funkify himself to improve his life" kinda movie where white people acting black is supposed to be funny in and of itself.

It's a newer and more subtle form of racism that's not as offensive and cloaked in the form of praise (I would need an hour of writing to really explain what I mean and this isn't the place for it) but it kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
[DrakeB3003]
{[...] It seemed like another "uptight white guy needs to get down and funkify himself to improve his life" kinda movie }

Not to me -- at least, not any more so than a host of other movies that play up that angle. From serious ("8 Mile") to farcical ("Malibu's Most Wanted") to winking cameo (Woody Allen's musical "Everyone Says I Love You," oy gevalt!).

It was an entertaining twist, especially with Eugene Levy unexpectedly showing some spirit. And I'll see anything Steve Martin is in. (Anything Queen Latifah is in, as well, since "Chicago.")

But worth another theater viewing? Indulging in the extras on DVD? It's not that adept or entertaining. The jokes, atypical for Martin, are use-and-discard caliber. I was reminded of this with his endearing takeoff on Cyrano de Bergerac, "Roxanne," shown tonight on one of the HBOs. That's still fresh after 15 years. I doubt "House" will be.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caleb
Member of Lash's Legion of Super Bitches

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caleb   Email Caleb         Edit/Delete Post     
Lightning Lad -I enjoyed it enough to buy it. But I always suggest renting first to everyone else -just in case.

Drake -I heard some reviews that were complaining about stereotypical issues and a cartoon strip in the local paper was bashing Queen Latifah for participating in the movie. I'll just point out that it is discussed why Queen Latifah's character acts the way she does and she makes no apologies. There were a couple of scenes that really bothered me at first (regarding violence in a country club bathroom and Martin getting thrown into his pool) but I ignored it as its just a movie. I can see how someone might be offended by racial issues, but I tend to not analyze that closely. I would be interested to hear your opinions after having seen it.

[ August 11, 2003, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: Caleb ]

--------------------
Bring Back Tellus :tellus:

Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
[DrakeB3003]
{[...] I was reminded of this with his endearing takeoff on Cyrano de Bergerac, "Roxanne," shown tonight on one of the HBOs. That's still fresh after 15 years. I doubt "House" will be.

Grey,

Now there was a move with some timeless bits! The 20 "something betters" in the bar was hysterical!!! It still makes me laugh. [Laugh Out Loud] And who's this Cyrano de Bergeron fella? [Wink]

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.