Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » The Songs of Superman (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Songs of Superman
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The radio station I listen to on my way to work in the morning has this thing where they play the listeners mix. You send in a list of 10 songs, and they play the list. I was thinking of creating a theme list and sending in 10 songs all tied to Superman.

Hoping you cats can help with a list. If I have a question mark next to either the title of the artist, in means I am not sure of theinfoand would appreciate a confirmation.

1. I am Superman - REM
2. Superman Inside - Eric Clapton
3. Jimmy Olsen's Blues - Spin Doctors
4. Kryptonite (?) - 3 Doors Down (?)
5. It's Not Easy (?) - (?)
6. Can you Read My Mind - (?) who did the pop version?

others? I need 10.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M'onel
May be Lethbridge's #1 Legion Fan...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for M'onel   Author's Homepage   Email M'onel         Edit/Delete Post     
Well I believe someone name Donovan did a song named "Sunshine Superman".

And yes 3 Doors Down did "Kryptonite" and Five For Fighting did "It's Not Easy"

--------------------
A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world

From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
There's that song that goes:

I am no Superman,
I have no answers for you.
I am no hero,
Aw, that's for sure.
But I do know one thing:
Where you are is where I want to be.

I think it's called "Superman." Who's the artist?

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
didn't Laurie Anderson do a song called something like "O Superman"? And stretching my poor tired brain back to me brothers roapy musical tastye from the early 80's, I think sure Rick Springfield did a song called "I'm not your superman" though you may have to check that one.
From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
and of course there's that fab Barbra Streissand song "Superman"... cannae believe I nearly forgot that one!
From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Herbie Mann had a disco hit called "Superman" in '79.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sonnie Boy:
didn't Laurie Anderson do a song called something like "O Superman"?

Yep.

It was a huge hit in England in the early '80s, and one of the first videos I saw on MTV.

The Ass Pony's have a cool song called "Not Since Superman Died" but I doubt most radio stations have it.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman" by The Kinks.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

"Black Superman - 'Muhammad Ali'" by Johnny Wakelin & The Kinshasa Singers

--------------------

Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe you already have this one, but it's by the Crashtest Dummies, I believe, with this line: "Superman never made any money saving the world from Solomon Grundy".
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Maureen McGovern did the pop version of "Can You Read My Mind."

There's also "It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman," the Superman musical starring Linda Lavin (of "Alice" fame) -- not as Lois.

Eric

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
There's also a beautiful song called "My Superman" on the soundtrack to the musical revue "The Gay 90s."

And Matchbox 20 did "Real World" which mentions him, but not by name. Crash Test Dummies did "Superman's Song." And "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman" by the Kinks and "Superman (Where Are You)" by Black Sabbath. (I did a little Yahooing.)

Eric

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Superman song. Crash Test Dummies' Superman Song is the best one around.

Tarzan wasn't a ladies' man
He'd just come along and scoop 'em up under his arm
Like that, quick as a cat in the jungle
But Clark Kent, now there was a real gent
He would not be caught sittin' around in no
Junglescape, dumb as an ape doing nothing

Superman never made any money
For saving the world from Solomon Grundy
And sometimes I despair the world will never see
Another man like him

Hey Bob, Supe had a straight job
Even though he could have smashed through any bank
In the United States, he had the strength, but he would now
Folks said his family were all dead
Their planet crumbled but Superman, he forced himself
To carry on, forget Krypton, and keep going

Another man like him

Tarzan was king of the jungle and Lord over all the apes
But he could hardly string together four words: "I Tarzan, You Jane. "

Sometimes when Supe was stopping crimes
I'll bet that he was tempted to just quit and turn his back
On man, join Tarzan in the forest
But he stayed in the city, and kept on changing clothes
In dirty old phonebooths till his work was through
And nothing to do but go on home

Another man like him

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Alright Eric. No beating me to the punch again buddy! [Wink]

This is the list of Superman songs on my MP3 player at work, some already listed here, some not:

Superman Theme - Aphrodite
Superman - Bad Religion
Resignation Superman - Bid Head Todd
Superman Song - Crash Test Dummies
Superman - Five for Fighting
Superman Can't Walk - Good Charlotte
Superman's Dead - Our Lady Peace
I am Superman - REM
Superman - Sister Hazel
Silver Gun Superman - Stone Temple Pilots

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

And here's more!

Bicycle Race - Queen
Black Superman - Above the Law
Everybody's Gotta Grow Up Sometime - Sons of the Desert
Honky Tonk Superman - Aaron Tippin
I Can't Lie To Me - Clay Davidson
In The Blink Of An Eye - Ricochet
Sunshine Superman - Jewel
Superman - Blindside
Superman - Goldfinger
Superman's Daughter - Sawyer Brown
Ten Feet Tall And Bulletproof - Travis Tritt
Waitin' For A Superman - The Flaming Lips
You Don't Mess Around With Jim - Jim Croce
You Don't Mess Around With Jim - Ty Herndon

[ August 22, 2003, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

Lightning Lad
Founder

Ready for more? Thought so.

Wish I Could Fly Like Superman - The Kinks
Waiting for a Superman - Flaming Lips
O Superman - Laurie Anderson
Superman Lover - Johnny Watson
Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill Gang
So Long Superman - Firewater
Ain't No Such Thing as Superman - Gil Scott-Heron
Land of Confusion - Genesis
What's Next to the Moon - AC/DC
Jezebele - Acid Bath
Can't Stop This Thing We Started - Bryan Adams
I Can't Be Your Hero Today - Jimmy Buffett
No Soy Un Superman (I'm Not Superman) - David Bustamante
I Killed Superman - Matthew Clay

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.