Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Dieters Support Thread (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 75 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  73  74  75   
Author Topic: Dieters Support Thread
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
So I admit I've allowed myself to balloon to unacceptable proportions. That's the first step to recovery.

Though Anna Nicole Smith's hawking of Trimspa is tempting, I'm gonna try to do this my own way....

Have begun diet vitamin supplement (2 days ago). Weighed one pound less today than yesterday-- a good sign.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Go for the gold, Lash! You can indulge your food fantasies in cyberspace.

There's an old P.G. Wodehouse story about a rich, fat uncle who has to go to a spa to slim down. His nephew, who hopes to inherit, goes along and reads cookbook recipes to him every night to console him.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Cramey!

For most of 2003, I've not watched what I've eaten and that's not good as I need to be ever-vigilant.

I've got too many cute winter clothes hanging in the closet unworn-- and I say 'fore spring flowers come into bloom I will be wearing those clothes!!

[ January 16, 2004, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
Lashie I know how it feels to look at the wardrobes contents and despair! After I gave up smoking a year and a half ago I put on three stone (50 lbs?? roughly... bloody LOTS!!) in about three months, while I haven't lost it all yet I can now get back into my groovy glad rags that I wore then.... finally!

Dieting sucks, but it's better than feeling unhealthy ...

A good tip I was given is to drink water when you feel hungery outside of usual mealtimes rather indulging in snacks.... it's tough for a wee while but it does help...

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bubble Wrap Boy
Perpetually Horny Crimefighter

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubble Wrap Boy   Email Bubble Wrap Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Lash be sure to add some aerobic activity at least 30 minutes of it, 3 times a week. The dieting will help but that'll only be half the battle. The exercise will redirect what's left to all the right places.

Good luck and should yo have any running questions, feel free to ask.

Victor

[ January 16, 2004, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: Bubble Wrap Boy ]

From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Dieter? Isn't he the host of Sprockets?
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

There's an old P.G. Wodehouse story about a rich, fat uncle who has to go to a spa to slim down. His nephew, who hopes to inherit, goes along and reads cookbook recipes to him every night to console him.

Ah, a fellow Plum fan! I knew I liked you FC!!
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ger
an old newbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ger   Email Ger         Edit/Delete Post     
I've gained a little bit also. My problem is not eating all day then having 1 large meal at the end of the day. I know its dumb, but...

Hmmm... I've heard that there's some very enjoyable activity that burns tons of calories but I can't think of what it is at the moment. [Wink]

From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bubble Wrap Boy:
Good luck and should yo have any running questions, feel free to ask.

Victor

i'm trying to get back into going to the gym again !!! up until the summer, i was going 3 - 4 times a week !!!

then i almost completely stopped !!!

but .... as of this week, i've been 3 times !!! on Monday and Tuesday i ran for 50 minutes and on Wednesday i did "RPM" which is a 60 minute bike class !!!

and i plan on going tomorrow night after work !!!

so Victor is all the running gonna be good for me ??? i'm not trying to lose any weight really, just need to be a little more toned !!!

i weigh 154 pounds and i'm 5.7 ......

why don't you become the PERSONAL TRAINER for "Legion World" !!!??? and you can give us your training ideas ....

Matthew.

[ January 16, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: the boy with UltraPowers ]

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been cycling through periods of gaining and losing about 30 lbs the past couple of years, and am currently back at the upper end of that cycle. I find it pretty easy to lose weight when I concentrate on it (counting calories and getting regular excerise), but I always seem to slip back into bad eating habits (like ordering pizzas and then eating the whole thing by myself in one sitting).
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sonnie Bloke:
A good tip I was given is to drink water when you feel hungery outside of usual mealtimes rather indulging in snacks.... it's tough for a wee while but it does help...

i agree with this tip !!! i drink up to 2 litres of water a day and it does help with hunger periods during the day ...

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bubble Wrap Boy
Perpetually Horny Crimefighter

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubble Wrap Boy   Email Bubble Wrap Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes Matthew...

the running will be good for you, but ease into the program, don't bite off too much too soon. 2 keys things.

1. always hydrate... not only will it keep you healthy but it'll help with recovery.

2. if you're running on consecutive days, be sure never to run 2 hard days in a row. Your body will need tome to recover after a hard workout, running the following day is good because it'll help shed any accumulated lactate acid (which is what you're feeling when you're feeling sore the next day), but if you're gonna run the next day, be sure to make it a slow, easy run, your muscles are a bit worn so you want to ease them back into the exercise w/o exacerbating them, otherwise it'll make you more prone to injury.

Most importantly, you don't need to exercise to exhaustion, it can be at a nice leisurely pace, the idea is to get your heart pumping at a good clip for 30 seconds, but you don't want it to get to the point where you're so beat that you end up dreading the following workout.

Also if you're running for time instead of distance, once you start doing it for a significant amount of time, you'll begin to realize that you'll be going farther in those 50 minutes than you had when you began the program, that's because you're body has become accustomed to the strain, so you are running at a faster rate, and thus covering more ground.

see what you started?! lol

Also keep in mind, the more you exercise the likelier your appetite will grow, think of your body as a furnace suddenly needing more fuel. But the difference is that the fuel is now being diverted to your muscles which are now in need of them.

[ January 16, 2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Bubble Wrap Boy ]

From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

thanks for the info BWB !!!

i always forget to check, how many laps i've done in that time [Roll Eyes] !!!

i must make a note next time ....

Matthew.

Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Weighed one pound less today than yesterday-- a good sign.

Based on my experiences, I would caution against wieghing yourself everyday. You are either setting youself up for failure, when you don't lose weight every day and get discourages, or begging for a case on anarexia, should you try to actually lose a pount every day.

Now, recall that the extra weight did not come on all at once, it's not going to go off all at once either. Trying to shed too many pounds at once actually sends your body into a kind of shock.

I would recommend only weighing yourself once a week. They say a two pounds a week is a healthy way to take off the weight.

Now, having said that, I'm right there with you. I currently dress out at 285+ and desperatly need to take of some of the tonage. The wife is scared to death that I am going to drop dead of a heart attack come my next fire call. And truth to tell, I'm not so sure myself that I won't.

So, how about a weekly Legion World weigh-in? And then durin the week we can all chat it up for strategies & support.

Ce bon?

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Another tip, from a life long dieter (and pretty successful, but I gotta keep at it) - never, never keep junk food in the house. You'll probably eat it when you're tired or hungry. And if you get something like a cake or ice cream for guests, send it home with them or throw it out.

Also, if you're exercising, you build muscle which weighs more than fat. So you may gain pounds but your clothes will fit a whole lot better.

I run 1/2 hour every other day and lift hand-held weights the other days. Only skip for extreme circumstances, like this really cold weather. My knee blew out last year and I was off the routine for about 4 months and did I gain pounds! It's amazing what a small amount of regular exercise can do.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 75 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  73  74  75   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.