Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't want to start a post for the film I want to talk about. It's no Goblet of Fire or anything. I might not even get a response. So I haven't seen a movie/film thread yet like the book thread above.

The film I rented last weekend? Layer Cake. Stars Daniel Craig (latest Bond). Has that modern british gangster stuff. A bit more refined than the Guy Ritchie stuff (which isn't necessarily a good thing). Though it did have the same feel a bit...not as funny. Producer of Lock/Stock and Snatch is the director methinks.

I liked it lots. Nice good plot. My only let down was Sienna Miller. As in why didn't we get MORE of her. She is high on my hot list right now. [Smile] Those Serbs were scary man. If you are wondering how Craig will do as Bond...check this out. My choice was Jonny Lee Miller but Craig is less pretty boy more tough guy in a sophisticated kinda way. Though Craig wasn't a tough guy in this movie...he was still cool.

[ December 29, 2008, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Ultra Jorge ]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
Haven't seen it myself, so I can't comment.

But I'd like to recommend another film for you - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I saw it in the cinema about a fortnight ago - and laughed like a drain throughout.

It's about a thief who becomes an actor trying to be a private eye. It's got one foot in the pulp Private Eye novels / films, and the other in Lethal Weapon type buddy movies.

Not too surprisingly, since it's written and directed by Shane Black, the guy that wrote Lethal Weapon.

Starring Robert Downie Jnr and Val Kilmer, it's well worth a look.

No idea when it's out on DVD.

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Good Night and Good Luck.

Outstanding cinematography, acting and script.

From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Marvel
Im Joeboy. I know stuff.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Marvel   Email Kid Marvel         Edit/Delete Post     
Wolf Creek....sort of a "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" in the outback...very visceral horror that stays with you. Amazing Cinamatogrophy...technically theres nothing I could nitpick about it...and "Mick", the Villian, is scary as hell..especially when he is only shown in Silohuete (which is a good 50% of the movie)...and very familiar to us Australians (infact the actor who plays him - John Jarret - was the host of "Better Homes and Gardens" for years...now he's on a crappy outback soapie called "Mcleouds daughters")

Saw 2 - not so good...saw (pun intended) the inevitable "plot twist" ten minutes in (think Stockholm syndrome)...yes it was very gorey, there were some lame jokes ("its the last house on the left"), and its plot was ripped off from "Cube" (fantastic movie - "Cube 2-Hypercube" not so good) ((and to a lesser extent "House of 9" - avoid at all costs))
...that scene with the needles though...left me a little shaken.

Going to See Harry Potter tomorow night.

Bought "Sin City" and "Napoleon Dynamite" today

Cant wait to see "Haught Tension" (High Tension) which Ive been told is "French Horror" at its best...Also keen to see "Hostel" - the New movie form Eli Roth who directed "Cabin Fever"

And Finally, Brokeback Mountain opens here soon...Im excited!!! gay cowboys!!! (well that and its an Ang Lee film, and it has Jake Gyllenhall in, and Annie Proulxs' Novella is pretty damn good aswell (I read it years ago))
in any case Ive heard good things [Smile]

--------------------
Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.

From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Ghost, I was planning to check out Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Glad to hear it was good. Probably wait for dvd though.

Lad Boy, Good Night and Good Luck I am going to see asap! Looks great. Syriana as well. Clooney trying to spread some truth!!!

Joe Boy, I am seeing Potter on Sunday on IMAX. I am pumped. I also just bought Sin City (an all time fave for me!) and Mr. Dynamite! [Smile]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I saw "Walk the Line" and it was good. Not great, but good performances in a film that's pretty much what you'd expect in a biopic about a musician.

I'm going to try to see "Rent" this weekend...

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm up for Rent on Sat., but might try to sneak in Good Night, Good Luck sometime soon.

Jorg, I saw Layer Cake and thoguht it was very good and entertaining. Like you said, not necessarily as good as Snatch or Guy Ritchie's films, but entertaining. Definately didn't have as strong humor. I really like Craig in this (never seen him in anything before) and am now confident he'd make a good Bond. Definately not a pretty boy, and has a rugged sense to him (while refined). And you're right--those Serbs were freakin' scary!

I've posted at lenght on Legion World about Sin City (see those threads). Needless to say, I thought it was genius.

I reccomend Cinderella Man, just out on DVD to everyone--a very good movie. I like Russel Crowe, despite how he's portrayed in the press.

Still waiting for the next Boondocks Saints/Donnie Darko/Kill Bill/Sin City to blow my mind...I feel like its been a good few months. Actually, I feel like I've just seen something excellent but for the life of me can't remember what it is.

Oh, and Goblet of Fire was a lot of fun. Tough when you've read all the books though and have to accept that lots of things must be left out, but very entertaining and true to the spirit of the books nonetheless (most importantly). Wish Ralph Fiennes could be scarier, but then again, that'd be *too* greedy of me given that its a kids film!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Marvel
Im Joeboy. I know stuff.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Marvel   Email Kid Marvel         Edit/Delete Post     
Its actually gotten an M15+ rating over here...But boy was it fun [Big Grin]

--------------------
Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.

From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Cobalt, my fave all time films are the Usual Suspects, the Professional, and Pulp Fiction. I can now add Kill Bill and Sin City.

Ah another Boondock Saints fan!

Drake, I want to see Walk the Line...and my gf really wants to see it.

Kid Marvel
Im Joeboy. I know stuff.

Walk the Line wont be here for awhile *sigh*

I bought some old skool horror today..."House on Haunted Hill" (Vincent Price not Geoffrey Rush) "Little Shop of Horrors" (Corman) and "Night of the Living Dead" (original)

hoooray!!!

So Ill be watching those and Pam Anderson in Stacked tonight.

--------------------

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I saw "Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic" and was disappointed. I've liked her before on many occassions, but the film didn't do it for me. Maybe she's just better in small doses or her standup loses steam after awhile (the film itself has her standup intermixed with mocumentary scenes and songs).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I saw Kingdom of Heaven! It rocked. Very different from actual history but bah who cares!

Ridley Scott and the writers did good. They explained lots of the complicated politics through action. Also made Saladin very honorable which I liked. Again for the record the characters were very off from real history. Saladin seems was the only good guy in the whole true story. [Smile] The film was beautiful from beggining to end.

Kid Marvel
Im Joeboy. I know stuff.

Kingdom of Heaven didnt do much for me...
Just saw Monster in Law...it was funny...but it was no Legally Blonde.

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Ghost, i did see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and loved it.

Any film with Michelle Monaghan and Shannyn Sossamon has got to rock. But Kilmer as a gay private eye! it was great. Downie was awesome as well.

Here are some of the films I've seen since 2005(!!!)

Lola rennt (Lola Run foreign film german)
Festen (The Celebration foreign film german)
Malena (Belluci)
Irreversible (Belluci!)
Stage Beauty
The Libertine
Vanity Fair
25th Hour
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
Easy Rider (I'm curious about it)
Proof
Chinatown
Lawrence of Arabia
Taxi Driver
The Sting
Consant Gardener
Equilibrium(Bale)
Alfie

knowjack
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowjack           Edit/Delete Post     
Man, that Irreversible was one of the roughest things I've ever watched. I had an idea it would be violent, but MAN I wasn't expecting that.

I watched SHERRYBABY the other night with Maggie Gyllenhaal. It's a "small" movie where she plays a recovering addict who's out on parole and trying to reconnect with her daughter. She doesn't play a very "likeable" character, but her performance was amazing.

From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.