Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm part of blockbuster online and I love it.

dedman thise are all good movies. I've seen them all save Texas Chainsaw.

Shawshank is probably my fave. Very overwhelming. Though I always loved Dark City.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Dark City is awesome.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I saw Curse of the Golden Flower. Big chinese epic with Chow Yun-Fat. It was pretty good. Big family imperial court drama. No Crouching Tiger but it was a beautiful film. They went all out with the visuals.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Omg, I love Curse of the Golden Flower. I had the good luck of seeing it at the movie theater. Astonishing spectacle! I almost never go to the movie theater anymore, but movies like Curse of the Golden Flower are a reminder that sometimes it's worth it.

--------------------

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I needed emotional release so I've been watching movies at which guys are legally permitted to tear up.

Brian's Song
The Green Mile
To Sir with Love (teachers only).

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Stealth, it looked pretty good on my 50inch LCD flatscreen. I agree one of the most amazing visual experiences i've had.

Lately, i go to the IMAX theater for the few films I see a year.

Blockade, man those were sad. Should've watched Million Dollar baby to go along with it. [Smile]

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada

With Tommy Lee Jones and Barry Pepper. Janurary Jones! hot.

I didn't dig all that much. My friends highly recommended it.

It takes place in a border town in Texas. It's a very small town and quite depressing. It was a bit out there. The ending sure didn't help. There wasn't much of one.

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I saw Eragon this last weekend. It was good. I can tell it was meant for kids. It was very much a cross between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Good actors! Lots of big actors. One not so "big" actor was Sienna Guillory who I may be in love with. She was Helen of Troy once after all. She is also part cuban. [Wink] She is perfect.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Inspired by the discussion of Curse of the Golden Flower, I dusted off a couple of videos I haven't watched for years, both of sword-and-fantasy movies from Hong Kong -- Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain (early 80s) and The Bride With White Hair (early 90s).

I watched Zu and it seemed a lot more like a kiddie movie than I remembered it; in fact, I'm not even sure if kids today would go for it, as the special effects could charitably be described as dated. But it does at the very least deserve respect for breaking new ground at the time of its original release.

Tonight, I'm going to watch Bride With White Hair, another one that broke new ground in its time. Hopefully this one stands the test of time better.

--------------------

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Something the Lord Made: a HBO movie with Mos Def (the guy can act). For those that like the underdog movies, this one might interest on a couple levels. Def plays a black (lol) maintenance worker that rigs a tool for a heart surgeon that solves a problem that had been preventing operation on blue babies. Well done, true, not preachy but the message gets across.

Revolt of the Zombies: similar to Something the Lord Made, heh, no not really. $2 used at the local Gamespot, three zombie movies on one DVD, including the one the only, Night of the Living Dead.

Better than the quarter bins are the used DVD bins.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Better than the quarter bins are the used DVD bins.

I'll say. A few months ago, I found a cheap copy of the B&W Mexican horror "classic" The Brainiac, the one about the guy who eats brains with a spoon and periodically turns into a demon whose head expands and contracts (possibly the cheapest monster mask in film history.)

It just occured to me...Robert Rodriguez should do a remake!

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Stealth, let me know which Hong Kong are worth seeing. I loved the Killer and Hard Boiled. Haven't seen much of the fantasy/legendary stuff.

Also interested in the old Kurosawa Japanese films.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Jorge, my top recommendation would be the aforementioned Bride With White Hair. When I watched it last night, it was even better than I remembered. And unlike Zu, it quite gracefully gets around the limitations of the budget and of the technology at the time. And the characters and the deep themes and the symbolism that give the movie more substance than usual for this kind of spectacle. Just make sure you don't accidentally get the inessential sequel, Bride With White Hair 2.

Have you seen the one from a couple years ago, Hero? If not, I'd recommend that one, too.

Now I'm gonna have to rent Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I haven't seen it since it was in the theaters.

Oh, and the Killer and Hard Boiled are favorites of mine, too, especially Hard Boiled.

--------------------

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I was to see Hero asap! My friends all loved that movie. They also liked Fearless by Jet Li.

And yes Hard Boiled rocks!!!

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I saw Bobby. It was pretty darn good. Actually while it was entertaining I started to ask myself...all this better tie in or not this movie might suck. Oh it tied in. I won't ruin for you guys but it was pretty cool.

I was impressed with Emilio Estevez's directing and most of his writing. There were some very cliched writing in some scenes.

Some very good acting jobs as well. A ton of good actors were in it.

Harry Belafonte? I never thought of him as a good actor. He did pretty good here.

Nick Cannon? Isn't he like a Nickolodean kid actor? Guy did great.

Helen Hunt did an amazing job. I consider a real actor someone who acts completely different in every role. She pulls it off. I didn't think of her at all as 'Helen Hunt'. She also looked great.

Joshua Jackson? So I never liked this guy. Thought he was just some young punk actor. Heard he was dating someone hot that I love (but forgot who right now). Hated the guy. He won me over. He did a great job here and finally looks like a man vs. a teen actor. Good for him.

Shia Labeouf? Again I was just talking smack about this kid. I think I just got sick of him playing the same character. He did a great job. Sadly Transformers probably won't help his acting career. He needs to do more films like this.

William H. Macy? Actually he did just all right. He did have a few scenes towards the end I liked. When his life was getting complicated. btw, I've met Mr. Macy and he's the nicest human being in the world. No really.

Freddy Rogriguez did an amazing job. Lindsay Lohan? It's a shame cause while she isn't great...she isn't bad. She's got talent. I hope she gets her stuff together.

Pretty good movie and I'm not a bleeding liberal either. [Wink] (ofcourse of you don't carry a gun, a bible, and drive a pickup you might get accussed of being a bleeding liberal)

[ June 11, 2007, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Ultra Jorge ]

This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.