Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 80)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  77  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
The one episode we tried to watch of Archer started with the same juvenile "adult" jokes in other of the lesser adult swim stuff and my wife turned it off (it was the one where his mother gets caught covering herself in whipped cream in front of a video screen). Maybe it was just a bad one to start with?

I admit to watching it with one hand permanently over my eyes, much as I did when South Park first came down the plank.

I don't know exactly why it works better for me than, say, Family Guy and many of the AS shows. I think it has to do with the pacing. Or perhaps that it feeds my own deep-seated suspicions regarding the mindset most "super-spies" would have if they existed in real life.

[Hmmm?]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I watched Ted ... it wasn't as funny as the trailer ... and most of the jokes were just nasty not really funny.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Archer is crass. I like Archer because it is over the top ... like its making funny of itself ... or spy genres rather than being straight jokes.

Its more of a laugh at show for me. Some episodes are way more funny than others ... and others are just so so.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I don't find South Park or Family Guy interesting ... or the Simpsons ... or pretty much anything that is too entrenched in pop culture.

just too hard to keep up with.

I DID see one episode of South Park ... it was the Brittney episode where she shoots off her own head and then everyone's like "oh Brittney I love your new look!" and she records an album ... with no mouth ... and everyone loves it! haha

btw I was listening to Brittney recently, my music was on shuffle, and she was talking about shaving her Click Here For A Spoiler ass in one song!

ha! did she even realize she said that ... or does she just mindlessly read what they put in front of her? or is she really crude and funny?

Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
I saw a movie over the holiday that I previously didn't know existed and - if I had - never would have thought that I'd not only enjoy it, but also still be thinking about it three days later... and slowly coming to the opinion that I'd seen a work of art.

Trust me, no one is more surprised than I that I dug this so much - but I'm talking about movie from 1968 called, "Head," starring... The Monkees.

First off, although I'd seen The Monkees TV show before, I've never liked it. I don't enjoy the sort of dumbed-down slapstick and random jump cut thing that typified the show.

That being said, though... "Head," - made after the cancellation of the show, and during a drastic wane in the Monkees popularity - was a pop art deconstruction of the prefabricated nature of the band, from the same production team that would go on to make "Easy Rider," and "Five Easy Pieces." In addition, it's also a meta-fictional reflection on the nature of reality and free will.

Yes... really.

It's very difficult to describe the movie in terms of plot... there actually isn't much of one, apart from an overarching theme of the four band members attempting to break free of the various levels of fictional constructs in which they exist. Instead, it plays out in a series of vignettes, connected in a stream of consciousness fashion that follow a sort of dream logic.

Throughout these vignettes, the band members are continually confronted with the artificial nature - not only of the world in which they exist (breaking out of staged scenes only to find that the "behind the scenes" reality is staged as well) - but also of their selves (having their actions cut short to be informed that they are not in line with the archetypes that they are supposed to be filling; being torn apart as their very bodies are revealed to be mannequins).

The ultimate journey toward trying to assert free will involves them realizing the only way out of this illusionary world is by death, so, in the final scene (which connects to the first scene in a "Finnegan's Wake" type loop) they attempt to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge... only to find even these actions are nothing more than part of a pre-scripted world.

I'll know that "meta-fiction" is not everyone's cup of tea... but when combined the "psychedelic" sheen of the era in which it was made, as well as some of the most bizarre cameos to ever be in a single movie - Frank Zappa, Annette Funicello, Jack Nicholson, and Sonny Liston, as well as others - it all just really clicked for me.

To sum up my feelings on it, I'd say it was like "A Hard Day's Night" as imagined by Grant Morrison.

If that sounds like something you'd like... check out "Head".

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Watched the entire season of VEEP over the holidays. Really funny stuff.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:

Trust me, no one is more surprised than I that I dug this so much - but I'm talking about movie from 1968 called, "Head," starring... The Monkees.

Oddly enough, I saw a PBS documentary on The Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour" on New Year's Eve. "Head" was essentially The Monkees' "MMT"--and, like the latter, was panned by critics and left fans scratching their heads.

And, like "Head," MMT is now regarded as an artistic masterpiece that influenced subsequent filmmakers (including Martin Scorsese, who was interviewed in the documentary).

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
If you want to get even more crazy, you should do a little searching around about what some conspiracy-theorists think of "Head" and how it connects to CIA brain-washing / the CIA control of the counter-culture (particularly in Laurel Canyon where the Monkees, Zappa, etc all lived) and how it was a "clue" to the true nature of who controls the world. Trippy stuff indeed.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Mike Nesmith controls the world? Why are we not all wearing wool caps?

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
Watched the entire season of VEEP over the holidays. Really funny stuff.

Supposedly it is spun off of the British show, "In the thick of it".

which is incredibly funny. It is on hulu.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Oddly enough, I've never actually seen Head, though I will say that I think the Monkees tv show is actually a lot more meta-fictional than is perhaps initially apparent.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  77  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.