Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » King Kong (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: King Kong
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
Saw that movie this weekend.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think
if you did?

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Darrow should have taken a small dive off a tall building after Kong at the end

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I just got home from the movie moments ago.... I loved it. I'm a sucker for dinosaurs, first of all, so the scenes that included them rocked my world!

Based on the previews, I was concerned that Naomi Watts was simply not beautiful enough to do the job, visually, for me, but it seemed Jackson was very interested in showcasing her beauty with several great shots of her. She really was lovely. I suppose I just can't get the Jessica Lang visuals out of my mind, from her turn as Kong's Beauty. I was at that age back then...

The effects, especially for Kong himself, were amazing. So many scenes that take your breath away.

It is a complete fantasy movie, though. Obviously they were not trying for true realism. A few times I caught myself very aware that it's just a Hollywood stylized depiction and I approved.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The interpersonal stuff went very well for me. I grew an affection for Kong, which really sucks given the ending is no secret. When it comes to fighting, Kong's the man.

Some people died, I wished hadn't. Some people lived I wish hadn't.

The visuals were awesome. Though Skull Island is the star, the visuals of 1930's Manhattan took my breath as much.

Downsides:
The scientist in me kept getting in the way. Kong's shaking of Ann Darrow as he ran would have killed an astronaut.

Did they just drop the ball on Jimmy or did I miss something?

Jack Black did MUCH better than I thought he would. I had concern of a Jim Carrie type performance but it all went very well except, In MY opionion, Jack Black/Peter Jackson blew the last line. I hope they re-do it before the DVD.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved it. I found it to be incredibly affecting and effective movie. I found myself able to totally buy into the movie's reality. The shot of Kong slipping over the edge was so moving I was teary. Just a really great movie.
From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I do have to say that I have a bit of a fear of heights, so all the action taking place on top of the building had me woozy!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sketch Rhino:

Based on the previews, I was concerned that Naomi Watts was simply not beautiful enough to do the job, visually, for me, but it seemed Jackson was very interested in showcasing her beauty with several great shots of her. She really was lovely.

Sketch, I am glad you wore your glasses to the movies. Naomi is beautiful. (ok she's getting old but geez man!) [Wink]
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mon-el73
new

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mon-el73   Email mon-el73         Edit/Delete Post     
It's a rarity to find a movie that can meld action/adventure/semi-horror/drama into one, but Mr. Jackson seems to be creating his own niche.
His action scenes ellicited reactions from my posse, ranging from, "Oooo yeah!" to "No way!" all the way to "Stopitstopitstopit!"
And all his intense still moments were gripping! Beautiful naomi watts (and even the Kong himself!).
The start kinda dragged itself a bit, but I'm willing to concede his (Mr. Jackson) need to establish the story. Agree with Blockade Boy about the last line though. Did kinda blow it.

From: Philippines | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"blew the last line"

Not having seen it, I'm wondering-- is this like how in FORBIDDEN PLANET you can't HEAR the last line Leslie Nielsen says because he's muttering under his breath and the "music" just gets too loud for one critical moment?

I had problems with the sound in ALL 3 LOTR films. The music & sound effects were mixed SO loud, you were left either having your eardrums blown out, or, not being able to hear half the dialogue in the films, depending on what volume the theatre ran the films at. (Unfortunately, this has been far too common in too many movies in the last 10+ years.)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mon-el73
new

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mon-el73   Email mon-el73         Edit/Delete Post     
Guess you'll see when you watch it, but for me, it has more to do with the line being somewhat anti-climactic or poorly delivered (the only line I really have a problem with)... Otherwise, a definite rollercoaster ride once you get over the first loop!
From: Philippines | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"Guess you'll see when you watch it"

You mean-- in Peter David's terms-- it's a "YET" film? (As in, "Have you seen it YET?")

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I started out loving everthing... up until the canyon stampede. For a bit, it seemed PJ forgot he was remaking Kong - not Jurasic Park. Some of the dinosaur scenes were great - but others - bojemoi!

The stampede bit was too tedious - humans running under dinosaurs in a tight space, no one gets trampled? It just happens to lead to a cliff-top... humans jump from rock-to-rock as it crumbles? Cammon! We've seen that kind of stuff far too many times already.

All the Kong bits on Skull Island were fine; if the T-rex/chasm bit was the biggest stretch, I'd have been happy.

From the escape through the gates & onward, it resumed being almost flawless - particualrly Naomi's feelings for Kong. Minor NYC quibbles: If it's cold enough for lake ice to remain frozen under Kong it should be a LOT colder atop the Empire State Building! and windier! having been up top (observation deck, not radio-top) in winter, I can tell you, it'd be a freezing-wind bitch up there! Especially once you run out of a protective wall. Quibble #2: she really climbed that ladder - in icy winter - in heels!?

That said, the finale scenes were so well done, I was feeling vertigo as if I was watching it up there with them!

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
"King Kong" has compelling turns from several actors, "real" and not. Jack Black does far better than I'd expected, as the shady entrepreneur of a director who gauges his reactions to others theatrically and is looking for the main chance, dishonest or not. Adrian Brody is soulful and of striking fortitude. Naomi Watts actually interacts with the gorilla and shows more dimensions than Fay Wray could ever manage. The beast itself is utterly convincing, down to twitching fur.

But it's at least 40 minutes too long, mostly due to reaction shots. The money is all up on screen -- you believe you're in the sort-of-Jurassic era (as "Jurassic Park" never managed, to me), or on top of the skyscraper in 1933. Yet it's drawn out for conscious attempts at resonance. Unfortunately, it also makes one twitch in a theater seat, even if you don't have to go to the restroom (as I did after 2:40).

If it were merely an hour longer than the original, at, yes, 2:40, it would have made twice as much money. As it is, it's hardly a failure. But it also will never work on DVD. Yes, we do still have films that demand a theater visit, and this is one of them ... once, anyway.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
To be honest, I thought that Ann caring about Kong
was the thing that Jackson got wrong in the film.
She SHOULDN'T have cared about him ... not to that
extent anyway.

For one thing, I don't think someone raised in the
early 20th Century would react that way. Animals
weren't Disneyfied back then. To Ann, a regular
gorilla should have been a thing of terror, let
alone a 25 foot tall one.

Second, she knows that Kong has killed the other
women who were presented to him in the past. She
saw the bones.

Third, she's SEEN him kill people ... including
the people who risked their lives to save her.

It just didn't hit the right note for me.

Carl Denham's character in Jackson's film isn't
as interesting as the one in the original either
if you ask me. In the 33 Kong Carl Denham was
based on Meriem C. Cooper's personality, and he
REALLY was the kind of guy who would have been
shooting down dinosaurs and throwing gas bombs
at a giant gorilla ...

The effects were outstanding. I did like Driscoll,
Jimmy, the first mate, and even Ann except for her
inexplicable Kong-love ...

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Meanwhile...

I was flipping channels last night, and AMC was running... OH MY GOD!!! --THAT film. AUGH!!!!! I only caught a few minutes of it, but MAN... it's even TACKIER than I remembered. (And I have not seen a frame of it since it was in the theatres around 30 years ago!)

"He lived in the jungle where he was BORN the king!
His great strenght made him lord of EVERY thing!
No creature crossed his path and lived for LONG
His name, so legend tells us, was King KONG!"
--Jimmy Castor

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.