Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » 2005: Television

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2005: Television
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just a quick list of my top 10 shows for the year.

10. Survivor

Survivor is still the only reality show I can really get into. This season wasn't as strong, even with the introducing of my favorite from last year (Stephanie) into the game again but they are keeping it fresh with the twists to the game.

9. Desperate Housewives

This show is dangerously close to falling out of my TiVo season pass list. It just lost the greatness it showed so well last year. I blame the fact that they decided to put it into the Comedy category for the award shows. They need to not take that classification so literally and get back to normal. Or as normal as Wisteria Lane can get.

8. 24

Technically the 2005 season hasn't started but last year (like this year's season) didn't start until January and counts, at least to me, as a 2005 show. Keifer is a great actor and is really pulling off one of television's fewest original ideas to come out in the last few years. I'm not sure how many more seasons it can keep up the format but I'm in it for the long haul.

7. Grey's Anatomy

This has quickly taken over as my favorite show on Sunday, vastly surpassing Desperate Housewives. Just enough interaction to carry the show along and still have some solid, done in one shows. It has been a long time since I liked a medical drama (I quit watching ER at least three years ago if not longer). Of course there is another further up the list.

6. Two and a Half Men

Easily the funniest half hour on TV. This season hasn't been as consistent but still is laugh out loud. The chemistry between Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer is good enough. But you toss in young Angus T. Jones and it become classic. Squab!

5. Doctor Who

I guess this would be on my list had I been able to see it in the US. [Wink] A great show that finally got me hooked into the long history of the longest running sci-fi franchise in the world. Can't wait for the new season and the change in Doctors. Maybe we'll actually get it in America this year.

4. Battlestar Galactica

Everything the original wasn't. This is a classic science fiction show. I still get moments of awe watching it that make me think of classic novels like Asimov's Foundation or Herbert's Dune. There is more intricacy to this show than in most regular shows, let alone one set in space. I'm anxiously awaiting its return next month.

3. House

Hugh Laurie was robbed! He deserved the Emmy this year. I never would have believed Laurie capable of pulling off this type of drama after laughing my ass off at him in Blackadder and A Bit of Fry and Laurie. Another show that has learned how to keep a small thread tying the whole together while getting the stories done in one. It was worth it losing Laurie as Perry White in Superman Returns to get another season of House.

2. CSI

I could have cheated and made CSI three of my top ten (like recent Nielson lists) but decided to group them all together. The original is still the best of the lot and has taken care of last year's mistake of breaking up the team. NY and Miami have started to become regular watching during the week instead of ocassional. Although I find I can figure out the NY and Miami mysteries much sooner than Las Vegas ones.

1. Lost

My favorite last year and still #1 this year. It stayed strong in a second season and did not become the feared Gilligan's Island. They came up with a believable way to introduce more characters and keep the mystery really going. Can't wait for it to return next month.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
HOUSE is awesome. [Smile] Mom doesn't know it yet, but I got her the Season 1 DVD set... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

But shouldn't 24 actually be called 18.5 With Commercials...? [Evil]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly, I can count the numbers of programmes I've actually made an effort to watch this year on my hands. With fingers to spare.

Doctor Who, Life in the Undergrowth (David Attenbrough natural world docu), Scrapheap Challenge (& spin-offs), Top Gear, Bremner, Bird & Fortune, Have I Got News for You and Mock the Week.

You'll notice there's only one drama/fiction show on the list. TV is crap.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Quite Simply, 2005 was the best year for Television in my lifetime, at least to my tastes. I had all but given up television for dead since I was in my pre-teens, but a few shows were able to bring me back, to where I actually consider myself as, *gasp*, having shows:

Lost -- Lost is just mind-blowingly good. And this season has not been a let-down at all either, with episode after episode of suspense and drama. My one complaint would be I wish there were more episodes a week to center on people we haven't seen much of yet, but I think that says more about the show and the cast in a good light.

Rescue Me -- another show that simply blows me away. I feel moved after almost every episode, and yet I find myself remembering the funny scenes more than anything else.

Nip/Tuck -- Provocative, but yet so powerful at times. The acting is phenominal, and the mystery of "Who is the Carver?" is probably the highlight of my villain-mystery television watching experience. and Christian Troy has inpsired many an encounter with the opposite sex for this young lad.

The Shield -- When I say what the best show is on TV, I hesitate on saying Lost, and that's because of this show. The plain fact is *this* might be the best show on TV, even better than Lost. The pacing, the drama, the action and the characters - complete with Vic Mackey at the forefront - make this the show I actually decide to not go out to the bar for.

The OC -- after watching the complete first season in one weekend, I was blown away. This season is better than the last, but its still not as strong as it once was. Still, I never miss an episode.

Veronica Mars -- the one regret I have for not being much of a television watcher in the first place is missing the majority of Veronica Mars episodes. Luckily, DVD Seasons will cure that. This show is everything a TV show can aspire to be, and it's outright tragic that so many people who I know would love it aren't watching it.

Entourage -- The type of humor that I love and inspires me to be even more social. I only wish they were longer episodes and more in a season. Ari Gold on this show is hands down the funniest character in TV history as far as I'm concerned.

Rome -- oh, I cannot wait for the DVD Season.

Other shows -- Other shows have drawn me in throughout the year, though not as strongly as the above. They include: Reunion, House, Real World Season #whatever, and yes, even Making the Band Part III, to check out my girls Aubrey and Audrea.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
My fav shows....

LOST
Grey's Anatomy
Amazing Race
Gilmore Girls
Project Runway

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

The Biggest Loser was a feel-good reality competition. There -were- no "losers". [Smile]

I caught the X-Mas ep of Bones... is that the lead-in for House? I can't remember...

It was good enough that I want to check out other episodes, in spite of "Angel" [Good] . [Wink]

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLPOV:
The Biggest Loser was a feel-good reality competition. There -were- no "losers". [Smile]

I caught the X-Mas ep of Bones... is that the lead-in for [House[/i]? I can't remember...

It was good enough that I want to check out other episodes, in spite of "Angel" [Good] . [Wink]

Bones is the lead in for House. I gave it a try earlier in the year but didn't like it. But the Christmas episode was real good. Maybe it is one of those shows that just got off to a shaky start.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't watch much tv, as you can tell by my list.

LOST - THE BEST show on tv. It has a gripping storyline, but we know more about the characters than we do the island. A little heavy on the drama not so much on the humour, but considering the situation, I can handle that.

SURVIVOR - Real reality tv. As much as it can be nowadays... This set the standard for the other shows. It keeps it fresh with organic twists to the game, not just blind schemes to stir up drama. And we get to see people at their worst thinking they're at their best. Does wonders for point of view arguements.

WEST WING - I've been a fan since the beginning. Sure, when Sorkin left, it lost some shine. But this year, that live debate episode showed that good writing does exist. And we got to see how good a good arguement can be.

THE DAILY SHOW - Not necessarily the news, but certain more entertaining than it. I don't get to see the Colbert Report much. But together, these two shows do wonders for life's daily stress level. Best part, it's real!

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
My list of the tops isn't so different:
Lost, 24, The Shield, Smallville, Rescue Me, Battlestar Galactica, Veronica Mars. One that hasn't been mentioned is "My Name is Earl" -- just consistantly looney and fresh. "JLU" also had a great season leading up to an amazing finish. Oh, and earlier this year was also "The Wire" -- the best cop show on TV (possibly of all time).

For me this past season saw a decline in several shows that I *loved*. They're still good, but slipped:
Desperate Housewives, Arrested Development, Deadwood, Alias, Nip/Tuck

And there are several shows that are good with potential to be great:
Invasion, How I Met Your Mother, The Office (yes that's right, the american version -- stop comparing it to the original).

[ December 22, 2005, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3004 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knowjack
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knowjack           Edit/Delete Post     
My shows--

1. LOST Even better the second season. Just brilliant.
2. VERONICA MARS. Gives LOST a run for the money, for mystery and smarts.
3. PROJECT RUNWAY A reality show you can enjoy and not hate yourself in the morning.
4. GREY'S ANATOMY The first 'medical' show I have really gotten into.
5. GILMORE GIRLS. They kept Rory & Lorelai apart for too long, but the pay off was worth it.
6. THE OFFICE Stepped out of the U.K. version's shadow to claim it's own identity. Hilarious.
7. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. The only SCI-FI show I've ever really gotten into. More Apollo in towels, please.
8. DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES Not as sure of itself this second season, but still immensley watchable.
9. MY NAME IS EARL Jamie Pressley makes the show as trailer trash Joy.
10. INVASION I've been watching..but they need to GET ON WITH IT!

Guilty Pleasures: REUNION, THE STARLET, DRAWN TOGETHER, BRINI MAXWELL SHOW.

Disappointments: BONES, SUPERNATURAL, THRESHOLD, HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, NIGHT STALKER.

R.I.P. ALIAS. I'll miss you Syd--but you're going out just in time.

From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm. Only 2 2005 shows inspire my total and absolute loyalty:

AMERICAN IDOL

and

SURVIVOR

Runner-ups:

CELEBRITY FIT CLUB

SURREAL LIFE

DANCING with the STARS

AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL

KING of the HILL

AMERICAN DAD

FAMILY GUY

VENTURE BROTHERS (as well as the entire Sunday night block of Adult Swim)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I find there's very little network television I watch anymore, with the exception of Smallville and Supernatural.

What I am drawn to now are some of the (perhaps) more obscure shows, like Clean House on the Style Network (I LOVE Niecy Nash... what a hoot!), House Invaders on BBC America (not a new show, but new to me... and Phil and JJ are hotties [Love] ), and the Venture Bros (I have to tape it cuz it's on too late... when it's on, that is [Wink] ). I also watch the various Paula Dean and Rachel Ray cooking shows on the Food Network when I can... not for the cooking tips, really... they're are just fun to watch [Smile]

Beyond that, it's more or less catch it when I can kinda stuff. I have shows set into my VCR, but nothing that I really can't wait to watch.

Sigh... I used to live for the TV, but now I'm more likely to throw in a DVD.

[ January 10, 2006, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: Spellbinder ]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
2005 was a strange year for me, TV-wise. My two favorite new shows, Threshold and Reunion, were both quickly cancelled. Lost has lost me, as I've explained in detail in this forum's Lost thread. Alias has been dizzyingly up and down -- before the decision that this would be its last season, it seemed to be just as adrift as Lost; after the announcement, the quality picked up again as it headed for a resolution. Starting in March, the last dozen or so episodes are gonna air back to back to back. I can't wait.

The only basic cable shows I liked in 2005 were both on E! -- The Soup, which seems likely to return soon, and Party @ the Palms, which does not seem likely to return. I think that's a shame, because I'm a Jenny McCarthy fan, and I was happy to see her hosting a show that let her do what she does best: act immature and crazy. What I hope is that, with all the attention Soup host Joel McHale seems to be receiving (deservedly, as he's one of the funniest people on TV) he'll move on to network TV and Jenny will replace him as Soup host.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.