Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Men of Tomorrow

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Men of Tomorrow
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Has this book been discussed here before?

Written by Gerald Jones, it's full title is Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book.

Great, GREAT book! My highest possible recommendation.

It's a wonderfully compelling narrative of the early days of the comics industry. Out own Uncle Mort is featured fairly predominatly. If that alone is not enought to make the book A/R for you, the Legion is mentioned by name a couple of times.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This sounds like a fascinating true story, and even though I'm not a fan Jones's comic writing, a non-fiction book is a horse of a different color.

Thanks for mentioning this book, I'll seek it out.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't had a chance to read that yet, but I did enjoy his earlier non-fiction comics work, I think it was called The Comic Book Heroes or something. It details the Silver Age through the late 90's or thereabouts. It was co-written with a fellow named Will Jacobs, though the updates to the second edition seem to be by Jones only. The second edition is more thorough than the first but seems to me to be tainted by Jones' unhappy stint in comics. Most creators are either genius mavericks who were "too good for comics" like Jim Steranko, or freakish outsiders who probably hated their fathers. Oh, and also not much love for the Image crew can be detected. The Legion gets a pretty good amount of coverage in it for you A/R fans.

Jones also published a really good book about the history of the TV sitcom called "Honey, I'm Home" which I highly recommend though I don't think it's still in print.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I did buy it, shortly after I made that post, and I loved it, except that I thought Jones gave Julius Schwartz short shrift. A minor quibble, though.

My enjoyment of Grant Morrison's somewhat similar "Supergods" has inspired me to start re-reading this book. Will share my thoughts as I work my way through it.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.