Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Restaurant or Super Hero?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Restaurant or Super Hero?
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I've grown increasingly entertained over the last few years at the creativity in restaurant names. It struck me yesterday that the enjoyment is similar to my appreciation of a good super-hero/super-villain name.

With that in mind, I started cataloging restaurant names in my own toddlin' town that I thought could be turned into cool comic book characters. Here's the list so far:

Alinea - Stunning and disturbing, delightful and disorienting, the powerful mind of Alinea utilizes non-Euclidean geometries to warp space and time. A powerful but unpredictable force for good!

Blackbird - The mysterious Blackbird prowls the dark byways of Lake City, protecting the helpless and the hapless. Is he a former victim of gang violence, grown up to seek revenge and protect others from his fate?

Current - Suave, charming and sexy, Current manipulates electromagnetic fields (and admirer's hearts!) in his vicinity, giving him power over magnetism, eletricity, and light, often with shocking results for evil-doers!

El Milagro - Once the protector of his war-torn Central American village, El Milagro struggles to make a new home in Lake City, using his probability-altering power to cheat death and thwart the dark forces that threaten to consume his fellow immigrants.

Flat Sammy - Able to tap into the lower- dimensional world of quantum filaments, Flat Sammy can slip into any nook, cranny or space, making him the perfect espionage agent. His sense of humor, however, is anything but one-dimensional!

Gioco - "The Clown" in Italian, in reality a humorless, cunning, relentless and brilliant mastermind of crime, able to stymie our heroes as a chess grandmaster checks the novice. But, is his criminal code name an ironic joke, or is there any truth to the rumors of a dark secret--fits of uncontrollable, feral laughter-- that earned Gioco his underworld sobriquette? What poses the greater threat to Lake City, the cold and calculating Gioco of today or the maniacally mirthful Gioco of legend?

Green Dolphin, Green Ginger and Green Zebra - Triplets gifted by Gaea herself with the power over plants, land animals and undersea dwellers, respectively. Dolphin and Zebra are sparring and jarring brothers, while Ginger, the sister, mediates and frequently looks down on her animalistic male sibs. The Green Triplets display unwavering determination to protect the bounty of life on Mother Earth from wanton destruction by the forces of evil and avarice!

Hog Wild - Bounty hunter, gear head, cycle freak and vigilante, Hog Wild rides without a helmet and outside the law. Whose side (besides his own) is he on?

Hot Chocolate - The ebony-skinned up-and-comer of Gioco's circus of assassins, Hot Chocolate (don't dare call her "Ho Cho"!) can burn, melt and scald with slightest brush of her deadly, beautiful hands.

Menagerie - The only person to say "No" to Gioco and live to tell about it, Menagerie gets - and keeps - what she wants, and her desire is fixed on the Green Triplets, who would be the crowning achievement in her private conservatory of crime.

PingPong - Fast, agile and completely elastic in any collision, PingPong never fails to hit his target, the predators who wish to keep in thrall the honest citizens of Little Cathay.

Rhapsody - The golden-tongued tenor of justice, Rhapsody's sonic powers leave even the most hardened criminals transfixed and transformed by the transcendance of his vocal stylings, across all musical genres.

She She - Double your pleasure, double your fun, She She is two ass-kicking girls in one, able to split instantly into a terrible twosome team of crime-fighting. Sorry, Current, but She She prefers paramours with 2 X chromosomes! Will She She and Alinea be competitors, partners, or more?

Silver Palm - Like a modern-day Midas, the Silver Palm, Gioco's senior assassin and operative, turns anything he touches with his left hand into brilliant but lifeless metal! Is the Silver Palm truly loyal to The Clown, or secretly working to supplant his criminal godfather?

Vermillion - Chosen by Shiva as his Shakti (divine force) to counteract grave threats to harmony and order in the metropolis of Lake City, the crimson-skinned Vermillion wields unequalled energies to create, transform or destroy. Can this young girl granted nigh-infinite power use it wisely, or will it use her for awesome and destructive purposes beyond human understanding?

Fluky and Super-Dog - our crime-fighting pet companions Fluky the porpoise and Super-Dog, a perfectly normal, down-right lazy basset hound who somehow manages to save day when all seems lost!

Wow, this turned out to be more work, and more fun, than I imagined at the start. Any other great restaurant names out there waiting to be transformed into super heroes and villains?

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd love to see a team-up with Johnny Rocket and Bob's Big Boy vs. the Red Lobster!
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
"Wing of the Dove" was a NYC restaurant. It sounds like a peacemaker - or maybe an avenging angel - sort of winged superhero.

There's one around here named "Fleur de Sel" (a type of sea salt) - she could be a supervillain who dehydrates people and objects. Probably a Legion reject....

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Acadiana (DC) -- former Mardi Gras queen now empowered by toxic sludge in post-Katrina New Orleans.
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Green Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
And who could forget doublechinner's heroic counterpart, Chin Chin?

(name of a great Chinese restaurant in Atlanta)

--------------------
Percy: [on discovering the secret of alchemy]
Oh Edmund can it be true, that I hold in my mortal hands a nugget of purest GREEN??

"Blackadder"

From: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Call me demented, but why hasnt either DC or Marvel made Ronald McDonald into a bonafide super-dude?
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.