Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Annoy me and go to jail Americans!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Annoy me and go to jail Americans!
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Create an e-annoyance & go to jail

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
now i am afraid to post.....

oops.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Not really as bad as it may sound. Although, ridiculous that it was allowed to pass anyway.
See: Boing Boing coverage

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
This is actually more serious than one might think, but it'll be overturned on grounds of violating the First Amendment if it ever makes it as far as the Supreme Court.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, dear.

I haven't knowingly annoyed anyone in awhile, but perhaps I should change my name legally to He Who Wanders, just in case. (And, darn it, just when I was starting to get press attention as a writer under my real name. But, better safe than sorry.)

In the Boing Boing coverage, one of the later responders, Steven D'Aprano, suggests the following:

Frankly, I think this new law is business is usual. There is no shortage of laws that are extremely wide and over-broad, but don't get enforced -- unless, of course, you are unconventional, weird, different, rub somebody the wrong way, or come to the attention of somebody in power with an axe to grind or a quota to fill.

Well, that description in the second sentence applies to just about all of us on LW (including yours truly) -- except possibly the last part, unless the "somebody in power" we've ticked off could mean The Powers That Be at DC (who never can seem to please Legion fans).

Of course, it's ludicrous to assume that somebody in power with an axe to grind would come after a comic book fan site. Or is it? (Anybody remember RICO?)

[ January 11, 2006, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Perhaps the good news is that they still think they need to have laws and courts to go after people. Or maybe they just want us to think that.

This could also be a way to shut down the internet anonymizers. I'm not sure how truly anonymous those services are if a Big Somebody really wants to find you.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.