Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Robotech

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Robotech
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Because Brainiac5 was right when he posted in the Forgotten Cartoons thread that this show needs a thread of its own.

Without Robotech, America would never have known about the novelistic complexity of the best anime series. Without Robotech, we might never have had Japanese pop culture become so infulential in America.

And Ulpio Minucci's theme music from Robotech outdid even the best of John Williams IMO.

My favorite Robotech character was Lisa Hayes.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brainiac 5
Cobalt Kid's Spell-Checker and Pain in the Rear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainiac 5   Email Brainiac 5         Edit/Delete Post     
Holy Crap! Somebody actually read one of my posts?? And it made sense??

All kidding aside, I think Robotech was really the one cartoon to break through anime into the American mainstream. There were some great shows to air in America before Robotech, such as Kimba the White Lion, Speed Racer, Voltron, and Battle of the Planets, but Robotech was the first series IMO written mostly for people 16 and up. I never saw anyone die in cartoons until Robotech.

I think that Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network owes alot of its success to Robotech. It showed that adults can enjoy animation written for the 16 and up crowd, both adventure/action and comedy.

And Max Sterling kicks all forms of ass. Period.

--------------------
There's room for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!

From: the Detroit multi-lab | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I loved Robotech, but I almost never got to watch it. The station it was on didn't come in too well. I kind of wish I wrote down what I thought the plot was; I'm pretty sure it didn't have much in common with the actual series. [Smile]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
My local station PISSED me off so much over ROBOTECH. I was taping the show (it was on while I was at work), and about halfway thru the 2nd part, they changed the schedule. Get this-- they were running it twice a day, once in the morning, once in the afternoon. But they weren't running the SAME episode both times-- you had the watch BOTH times to see the story! By the time I realized what the F*** they were doing, my tapes already began having EVERY-OTHER episode. So I could NEVER made any sense at all of the 3rd part of the series. On top of that, when they started on a 2nd run, I missed the 1st episode-- which I'd missed the first time around. About 15 years later, by dumb luck, I happened across the 1st episode on some cable tv station... but wasn't able to tape it. I read the comic-book version of it quite some time before the show ever debuted in Philly-- but I STILL don't have the actual 1st episode on tape. (NO POINT trying to make copy-edited versions with the commercials cut out until I get it... and it's been like 20 years now!)

Kinda reminds me of the WB BATMAN cartoons. Right from the start, they were running the show in no sensible order whatsoever. Episodes that did have any continuity, they seemed to make a POINT of deliberately running them in the WRONG order! And they kept inserting weeks of reruns between spurts of first-run episodes. It took me so long to get about 60 episodes on tape (after having set up my VCR countless times for reruns of episodes I already had), bu the end of the 1st season, I threw my hands up and said TO HELL with it! To this day, I've never seen about 95% of the later episodes...! And I really loved the 1st season. If this is what they can do do a BIG FAN of a show, how do they expect to get ANY ratings at all on anything?????

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brainiac 5
Cobalt Kid's Spell-Checker and Pain in the Rear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainiac 5   Email Brainiac 5         Edit/Delete Post     
I've got Robotech-The Macross Saga and Robotech-Masters on DVD. I believe they were $59.99 and $39.99. They are the "bare bones" collections with just the actual episodes, no commentary or extras.

--------------------
There's room for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!

From: the Detroit multi-lab | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a HUGE Robotech fan. My gf every couple months leaves for a weekend work conference. A buddy and I take advantage and go on Robotech DVD watching marathon with beer!

One time we eat cereal to bring back the nostalgia of when we were snot nose kids watching it before school over breakfast...and it worked! Dejavu!

Like Legion I can talk Robotech until i am blue in the face! I love them all but for some reason Scott Bernard and company excited me the most!

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Put me down as a big fan too. I had the Scott Bernard action figure with the cyclone that transformed into the armor, I bet it stood at least 9 inches tall. That was a cool toy. I think I also had one of the fighter craft from that part of the series as well. They were called Alpha fighters or something. Never could swing a real Macross Veritech toy, but I built 4-5 model ones. Still have some of the bits in the attic. I loved Robotech, and we also had a Captain Harlock series that ran at the same time as Robotech here. Did anyone else get it. I think it was also a Harmony Gold Frankenstein series, but they were intermingled instead of end-to-end like the Robotech ones. I'm in the middle of purging all my old Anime books but I'm keeping all my Macross stuff.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
ROBOTECH toys got really bad distribution in my area-- just like the SUPER POWERS toys. By this I mean, you could find them, but only certain toys, never the whole line. Which gets frustrating when you see the ads on the backs of boxes and such for all the ones you're missing-- and never turn up in stores.

I'm proud to say I did get the big SDF-1 toy-- about 18" long. The damn thing TRANSFORMED-- just like on the show. Watching the show, I could never make sense out of what the ship was doing. Too complex... I used to think they were just making it up, and had come up with designs that in 3D just wouldn't "work". NO! This damn thing did EXACTLY what it did on the show-- and STILL I couldn't figure out what it was doing! Man, the people who must have designed that... what kind of intellect does it take? (And I deal in 3D a lot of the time...)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
My Robotech micros!

matlock, I also had the Scott Bernard cycle that transformed into his armor. Was that a pain to work or what???! [Smile]

prof, my buddy had the SDF1 I think. It was impressive. Still these toys were hard to transform.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.