Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Leroy 1987-2006 (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Leroy 1987-2006
mechana
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mechana           Edit/Delete Post     
I know this site is home to many devoted pet owners, so I hope you will all indulge me as take this space to pay tribute to the memory of my beloved cat Leroy. Leroy died on Feb 18th, just three months shy of our 19th anniversary together.

By most people’s account she was a “difficult” animal. She was very vocal and not afraid to express her displeasure with a loud howl. She hated to be handled by anyone but me, and some of my friends were actually afraid of her. But her quirks did not make me love her any less. If anything, it made us closer; she was a one-woman cat, my princess, my baby. Only I knew how to make her melt by rubbing her cheeks just the right way. Only I knew the pleasure of burying my face in her sweet smelling fur. Only I was lucky enough to have her sleep curled up next to me every night. Only I was privileged enough to be greeted at the door every time I came home.

I will do my best to forget her tragic decline, and instead remember 19 years of little joys. I will remember how she loved doughnuts, and how she would drink the milk out of my cereal bowl while I was still eating it. I will remember how she frolicked like a kitten at the ripe old age of 17, when I began taking her outside for the first time. I will remember how she came running to be included, every time she heard me brushing my hair.

I will remember her, and love her, always.

From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm so sorry, Ronda. [Frown]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
My condolences on your loss, Ronda.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
As one cat lover to another, Ronda, I truly empathize. I've lost several furry companions over the years, although none reached that esteemed age.

They really are people, aren't they? Each has a unique persona, and sometimes we are priviledged to get to know them in a way more honest than human-to-human words tend to be.

The name Leroy means "the king," butI gather yours was a she-king; regal and demanding, as was her royal privilege, yet tender only to the one she chose as companion.

Somewhere is a realm with fields of catnip, where mice and balls of yarn are plentiful, and the doors open and close with the flick of a whisker. It is a place where no one dares to push a feline off of the table, which is always full of fish and meat. There is always a hand to scratch or rub - but only when a properly finnicky beast yearns it. The laps and comfy chairs are always available and warm, and there's always a comforting sunbeam to nap by.

Leroy is there, and your soul will meet hers again someday.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
19 years is a long time and will leave a big cat sized hole in your life Ronda. Remember the good times, and be glad she loved you as much as you did her.

And if you need us we will be here.

[Hug]

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Some cats are so distinctive in their character and their attachment to us (and ours to them) that the loss hits especially hard.

I'm very sorry that Leroy passed on, Ronda. It sounds like she was one of the really special ones.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
You have my condolences, Ronda.

Don't be afraid to grieve, pets are part of the family and deserve it.

I think that the place Kent describes is perfect.

You know we're here if you need us.

[Hug]

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Kent says it more beautifully than I ever could.

You have my sympathy and condolences. Leroy sounds like a very special kitty.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
sorry for your loss ! but as other posters have said, remember all the good times, the 2 of you had together !

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Cats are one of the world's most beautiful animals.

My condolences, Ronda.

[Hug]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mechana
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mechana           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you everyone, for your kind words.

I just needed to acknowledge how important her life was, at least to me, and I knew I would find some kind souls here who understood.

From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
Ronda, please know that Scott and I both know what you are feeling and how much losing Leroy hurts. You had already expressed that you wouldn't be joining the LW gang in Vegas or San Diego because you wanted to spend as much time as possible with your sick cat child. Clearly you loved her so much that you were in it for the long haul and would have done whatever you had to do to keep her with you.

I had adopted three kitten sisters in 1987, which I think I have written about in similar messages of grief and pain. None of my three made it to 2006, but close, as we lost the last when she was 17 yaers old. If you put it in human perspective, you were with Leroy from birth to college.

You will never, ever forget her. When it is very quiet at night and you think of her, you will be able to hear her purring between the beats of your heart. Don't hesitate to speak to her, as I believe her spirit will always be curled up next to you or walking beside you whenever you think of her.

Thank you for sharing your incredible message of love and loss with us. All of your many, many friends here wish you healing and more smiles then tears as the days go by. May Leroy be roaming the lush hillsides and gardens of Summerland with all of the special cats who have gone before her.

Love, hugs and blessings,
Caroline and Scott

From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Ronda, I'm sorry to hear about Leroy. You two were together a long time. I've lost two special pets in the last couple of years. The following has always helped (after I finish bawling my eyes out, that is). You probably already know it.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I was visiting my parents over the weekend, and my mom and I were talking about the dog we had while I was growing up. She was the sweetest thing. We had her for 17 years. And I was telling my mom that it's weird, but even now, like 14 years later, I still think about her.

Pets are not possessions; they are members of your extended family. Losing them is like losing an old friend.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm so sorry to hear that, mechana. [Frown] I'm not as good with words as other, but I've been through losing a pet, and I know she'll always be in your heart.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.