Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Best Song at the Oscars -- Ever Liked One

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Song at the Oscars -- Ever Liked One
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Our esteemed resident musicologist, Outdoor Miner, wrote in another thread about the Best Song winner at the Oscars last night:
"And yes, having unfailingly chosen the most hideous, overblown ballads for years now, the Academy has decided it needs to be more contemporary in its Best Song awards."

It got me thinking - has a song ever won the Oscar that you really liked? Here's a list of many of the winners to help you remember some of them.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Take My Breath Away, definitely.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
The theme song from Beauty And the Beast by Peabo Bryson and...who was the female vocalist?
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked these a lot:

1956 - "Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)" ("THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH") - Jay Livingston, Ray Evans

1961 - "Moon River" ("BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S") - Johnny Mercer, Henry Mancini

1971 - "Theme from Shaft" ("SHAFT") - Isaac Hayes

1980 - "Fame" ("FAME") - Michael Gore, Dean Pitchford

1985 - "Say You, Say Me" ("WHITE NIGHTS") - Lionel Richie

1993 - "Streets of Philadelphia" ("PHILADELPHIA") - Bruce Springsteen

2002 - "Lose Yourself" ("8 MILE") - Eminem, Jeff Bass, Luis Resto

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
What I found odd about this year's best song wasn't the winner (although I think Dolly was robbed) it was the fact only three songs were nominated. I don't recall a season in recent years where there were only three nominations. Was this just a bad year for 'theme' songs or was the Academy just lazy?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.