Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » The Dark Knight Official Thread ... Spoilers (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Dark Knight Official Thread ... Spoilers
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, spoilers in the title thread so beware. I'll not be using the spoiler brackets.

Been hearing this rumor for a few weeks and it looks as if Warner Bros. has confirmed it. Heath Ledger will be playing the Joker in the sequel to Batman Begins, to be called The Dark Knight.

CBR has more.

[ May 21, 2007, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Heath Ledger? Not even being a fellow Australian can help me see that one. I've nothing particularly against the guy, but it seems an odd choice... Here's hoping Heath can pull it off!

And while Katie Holmes was pretty much a non-event for me in the first film, it'll be nice to see some continuity in the characters rather than seeing the same old tired subplot played out again in the sequel.
That is:
1) Bats develops a relationship with a random female.
2) For no apparent reason he feels compelled to reveal his identity (Nicole Kidman's character, anyone?)
3) Said female disappears, never to be seen again.
Personally, I suspect he always realises what he's done afterwards and drops them into a Bottomless Bat-Hole. [Wink]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
Sigh.

I'm so sick of the Joker ... I'd much rather see Catwoman! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Seriously, I'm so tired of the bad guys being these mass murderer types. How about someone who just wants to steal stuff?

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
The only good reason to bring back Katie Holmes would be to have the Joker kill her.

And were they also hinting that there will be a penguin? (Paul Giamatti?)

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I haven't heard of confirmation on the Penquin yet but Giamatti may be cool enough to pull it off. And I do NOT want to see Catwoman again. The no-talent Berry ruined that character forever on film. I'd like to see something like Hush done. It more matches the mood set in the first film.

Who else thinks that the third film (the main cast of Bale, Caine and Oldman are contracted for three films) will be called The Dark Knight Returns?

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm... I think Heath will have to sell me on this one. I just can't see it. And Katie returns? Blech. Nothing personal, but she just doesn't have enough range to carry off a variety of roles. Everything I've seen her in has just felt like variations on Dawson's Creek. In Batman Begins, Joey Potter became an assistant DA.

Maybe they can get Suri to play Batgirl [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I’m not sure if you guys heard these yet, but the other two major rumors that were going around with Ledger as Joker are:

- The Penguin played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman – man that would be great! A great actor that is really creepy, but able to pull off roles in a way that Danny Devito could only dream of. I think that could work. Personally, I’m not a big fan of the Penguin, but making him an arms dealer/gangster is probably the way to go. Your guys thoughts on Paul Giamatti are great though. He’s one of the best actors working right now.

- Harvey Dent played by Ryan Phillipe – this would be even better. Phillipe is a great actor that can pull off a variety or roles. He’s complicated and could really get into Harvey’s head and explore the character. He’s also very intense, and dark, and that would be great. Plus, I’d prefer Harvey be a character for awhile before he becomes Two-Face, so no Two-Face this time around, but give us a chance to explore him. It could also make for a great Katie/Harvey/Bruce love-triangle, and sets up an obvious person to fill the role of D.A. completely as his own if Katie is ever bumped off by the Joker. In the past ten years, Phillipe has made a name for himself in great little independent films, and I think is really talented.

As for Ledger as the Joker, I can see him pulling it off really well. Nicholson’s Joker was so great and so inspired that it has to be completely different. In fact, I’d say it has to be a lot darker and meaner even. There’s no way they could go to anyone as established as Jack this time around, b/c none of us would be able to see it. Heath is young, slightly below the radar until recently, and has just proven to the world that he can reach places acting-wise that very few can.

I also trust Christopher Nolan completely.

I can’t wait for Bale as Bruce, Caine as Alfred, Freeman as Lucius Fox and especially Oldman as Gordon again. They all nailed their roles. Freaking nailed them.

If they want to give Batman a new love interest, I’d prefer Talia over all the rest (or even Nocturna! [Big Grin] ). I’d really rather hold off on Selina Kyle or Vicki Vale for a long while. Hell, I’ll take Silver St. Cloud [Big Grin] Wayne’s analysis of Bat’s previous on-film relationships highlights just how poorly the past Batman films have grasped a Batman love affair. Even Batman One (Keaton/Nicholson), while undoubtedly the best of the Bat films, handled this very badly.

I also hope there’s no Robin for at least the sequel and then the third film of this line.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

I ready about the PSH/Penquin rumor today. He could do it but I think his role in M:I3 may taint future villain roles. Giamatti would just be perfect, to me. Anyone seen the ads for his new movie with Ed Norton, The Illusionist? Can't wait for it.

As for Phillipe as Dent. I had heard that was supposedly confirmed. At least as Dent not as Two-Face. Like Cobbie, I think he would be great as long as they don't jump right into Two-Face.

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

- Harvey Dent played by Ryan Phillipe – this would be even better. Phillipe is a great actor that can pull off a variety or roles. He’s complicated and could really get into Harvey’s head and explore the character. He’s also very intense, and dark, and that would be great. Plus, I’d prefer Harvey be a character for awhile before he becomes Two-Face, so no Two-Face this time around, but give us a chance to explore him. It could also make for a great Katie/Harvey/Bruce love-triangle, and sets up an obvious person to fill the role of D.A. completely as his own if Katie is ever bumped off by the Joker. In the past ten years, Phillipe has made a name for himself in great little independent films, and I think is really talented.

Mind you I haven't seen Crash...but are we thinking of the same Ryan Phillipe? I guess I never liked the guy. I tend to think he acts the same in his films. Also he has almost this fake accent. Seen him in interviews and he seems to have a very high opinion of himself. Ofcourse it could just be jealousy...I think his wife is amazing in every way. [Wink]
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Jorge, I also share the same jealousy over Reese [Wink]

But I think Crash and probably the last few films I saw him in really showcased how far he's come from his 'Cruel Intentions' days. I also like that he, like Ledger, doesn't make 'hits', but makes films he believes in. Very similar to Bale or Giamatti, who IMO are examples of quintissential actors these days.

But just so I don't get overly excited--the speculation on Giamatti thus far has been exclusive to this thread here on LW, correct? I haven't seen any hints of this anywhere else.

I also hope they have great parts along the lines of Carmine Gigante and Rutger Haur's character again. Those guys took bit parts and turned them into textbook renditions of how an actor can completely own a part.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I like Phillipe well enough... will have to see him in the role I guess. If nothing else, he's smokin' hot (although apparently he's no longer showing his bare butt in all his movies... what a waste) [Wink]

Maybe they'll do the same thing they did the first time around: introduce Harvey Dent as one ethnicity, and then when Two-Face shows up he's something completely different. Maybe Ryan as Harvey Dent, and then Jackie Chan as Two-Face...

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Is it too early to introduce Dick Grayson? And if he was to appear, who could play him? I would definitely go younger than Chris O'Donnell. Do we have any really talented mid-teen actors out there?

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the first film series was trying to do the Harvey Dent first then Two-Face. Does anyone remember Billy Dee Williams in the first movie?

It would be cool to have Harvey in the sequel and then actually do the Two-Face story in the third movie.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The third movie should have Two-Face and Talia al Ghul, thus making it a true trilogy, with each part connecting and progressing from the previous ones. A surprise return of Ra's (a la lazarus pit) could work great too.

If done right, it could be the be-all/end-all renditions of Joker, Penguin, Two-Face and Ra's Al Ghul, which is basically Batman's greatest foes discounting Catwoman (too soon after Halle) and Riddler (could another actor ever truly capture him again after Mr. Gorshin?).

But alas, I get ahead of myself [Big Grin]

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
When I heard Harvey Dent rumors and an actor from "Crash" I thought Matt Dillon. He'd probably be a better choice, imo. I can see Philippe as Dent if they played up his vanity I guess, but I've never been impressed with him as an actor.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.