Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » 'Superman II' [ the Richard Donner cut ] (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 'Superman II' [ the Richard Donner cut ]
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I bought SII:DC and Superman Returns on Friday. The Donner cut was charming, with wonderful scenes between Reeve and Kidder. It's funny, but sweet, to have the screen tests cut into the movie. Reeve really knew that character, and seeing him tricked into going from Clark to Supie is wonderful -- (he must have wanted to be tricked, though: Superman didn't check to see it was a blank?!?!?)

I agree with Lardie that, if Superman Returns is a "sequel" to Superman II, it would probably have to be the Lester version.

[ December 07, 2006, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: doublechinner ]

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
A couple of other observations:

At the Niagara Falls scene, when Supes is flying a kid back up, you have a little Jewish grandmother at the railing saying "such a nice boy--of course he's Jewish!" I didn't remember this from the theatrical release, and was just tickled, and I am still giggling. Given that Siegel and Schuster were Jewish, and the all the connections between Superman and Judaism, I thought that was just perfect. Clark Kent might be a goy, but Superman -- he's a good Jew!

Along the same tribal lines, I would vote whole-heartedly for Dick Donner and Tom Mankiewicz having their own chat show on A&E or Bravo or something. Just sit these guys down, give them some cigars and beer or whatever, and start recording. Their accents, their delivery, their timing, it's perfect! They are hilarious, sentimental, witty and insightful. Between the 2 of them, they must have some great stories to tell. And I can't get enough of Donner saying "it's a sin, it's just a sin, I tell you!"

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Right now my favorite Tom Mankiewicz movie is MOTHER, JUGS & SPEED. I could never quite get a "handle" on Raquel Welch before, but after watching this movie a couple of times I suddenly feel I know how to write her much better. (Yep, I "cast" her in one of my stories as a character.) She gets to show off the widest range of of emotions I've ever seen from her in this film, including tough, smart, funny, SEXY, and terribly sad. Wow! If only she got more parts like this.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I am so pissed! My pre-order from Amazon hasn't shown up and the tracking number, through the USPS, doesn't track. So I contact Amazon and all they can do is offer me a refund as the collector's set is no longer available! If I want to try and find it from someone else I can spend $110 instead. So I contact the post office to find out what's up and they said my address was undeliverable so they returned it. The same address I get at least a package a week from Amazon to. So I contact Amazon again and not only do they say they never got it back but if they had they couldn't reship it to me anyway. AARGH! [Mad]

But I did luck out. I found one available from Target online that was only $5.00 more than what I paid Amazon. And I was just given a $30 gift card to Target from work so it made the set come to only $47. But now I have to wait until the end of January for delivery as it is a four week delay. I had wanted to watch the set during my week off for the new year.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beagz
5 of 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagz   Email Beagz         Edit/Delete Post     
Welllllll ........
I got lucky with Circuit City - they had a copy of the entire 14 disc set priced at $59.99, so I snagged it. They I had to wait 15 minutes for some ditzy blond to finish kvetching about her weekend and her work schedule before she finally asked me if I had been waiting on.
(Okay, so I was a bit sarcastic with my response. So sue me. Listening to 20 year old blond girls talk about dating, work schedules and family traditions at Thanksgiving wore me out!!!)

--------------------
You can never quit believiing in your dreams ... or yourself.
-----
You GOTTA listen to Levi Kreis.

From: Aggieland | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
I couldn't find a thread specifically related to the first Donner Superman movie, but I didn't think this warranted a brand new thread, so... anyway...

I just read something on the forums for the webcomic "xkcd" that actually makes me like one of my favorite movies even more.

Someone asked,

"In the first Superman movie, Superman flies around Earth so fast that it begins turning in the opposite direction. This somehow turns back time [... ] How much energy would someone flying around the Earth have to exert in order to reverse the Earth's rotation?"

And the response:

"Someone recently blew my mind by telling me I’d been misinterpreting that scene all my life. I like their take on it way better:

Superman wasn't exerting a force on the Earth. He was just flying fast enough to go back in time. (Faster than light, I guess? Comic book physics.) The Earth changed direction because we were watching time run backward as he traveled. It didn't actually have anything to do with the direction he was flying.

Now that I see it, it makes a lot more sense. I mean, as much sense as a red-cape-and-outside-underwear time traveler can make."

Coolness... I love gaining new perspective, and somehow that is way more satisfying to me.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I remember when I first figured out that was what was going on in that scene. Definitely a "Oh, yeah, that makes so much more sense...." moment.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I came to that realization a while ago. It changed the ending for me to be something I could get behind. I always thought it was the weakest point of the movie.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah, that is a much better way to look at it. I just gave it a pass whenever I saw it before (with a modest amount of cringing.) If Mort Weisenger had been involved it would have been explained more clearly.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Buuuuuut....

If it didn't have anything to do with the direction he was flying, why did he turn around and go back the other way to get the Earth going forward again? If it were just him going back in time wouldn't he just need to slow down and stop?

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I, from the point I made the above connection, have chalked it up to his perspective. He went one way to go back and then reversed when he started to overshoot and slow himself and get time moving in the other direction for himself.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Of course, the bigger problem is that the ending requires two versions of Superman existing at the same time, and everyone knows the laws of time travel only permit one to exist in a ghostly form while overlapping one's own timeline!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Different rules for the movie apparently. That sort of thing also worked for Marty in BttF.

Also, he would not be rushing off to save Lois, as he would not hear her screaming as she is crushed. Therefore giving alternate timeline Supes time to go back home where he belongs after saving Lois.

Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
... everyone knows the laws of time travel only permit one to exist in a ghostly form while overlapping one's own timeline!

That's Marvel Comics time travel. And I'll bet even they have made some inadvertent exceptions over the years.
From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I'm pretty sure it's used in Silver Age Superman stories as well. It's referenced in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, when Supergirl speculates that her other self must be on a trip to the past or something in order for her to show up there (not realizing that she is dead at that time).
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.